E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Seat Belt Ding Gone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm not really sure how it happened, but my car no longer dings if I leave the keys in the ignition and open the door, if I'm not wearing a seatbelt, etc, etc. The little seatbelt icon and key icon shows up in the display, but no dinging. I noticed the other day when I was taking my brother to his truck. Just so no one gets mad about not wearing a seatbelt I'll tell ya the scenario.

My driveway is about half a mile long and my brother parked his truck at the beginning of it because there wasn't any space where he normally parks. So I gave him a ride to his truck from my house. He just jumped in off we went, he didn't put on his seatbelt because it's a private road and no one else is on it. I told him that my car was going to get upset with him and start dinging, but it never did. I definitely got up to dinging speed but I just figured maybe I'd give the car the benefit of the doubt and say I didn't. But then when I was getting out of it at work it didn't do any dinging either. So once I came home I stopped at the beginning of my driveway, turned the car off, took off my seatbelt, turned the car back on, saw the warning light appear but no dinging and then drove the half mile home doing 25-30, still no dinging. I don't know what the deal is, my car was just at the dealer on the 29th to get the Vehicle Check done, no one there said anything about it. I've tested it several other times and still no dinging.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm taking it in again on the 12th because my turn signal indicator buttons were rattling and they are replacing them. I may tell them then, but at the same time it's kind of nice not having the dinging. Should I be worried?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='331687' date='Sep 6 2006, 04:43 PM
So I'm not really sure how it happened, but my car no longer dings if I leave the keys in the ignition and open the door, if I'm not wearing a seatbelt, etc, etc. The little seatbelt icon and key icon shows up in the display, but no dinging. I noticed the other day when I was taking my brother to his truck. Just so no one gets mad about not wearing a seatbelt I'll tell ya the scenario.

My driveway is about half a mile long and my brother parked his truck at the beginning of it because there wasn't any space where he normally parks. So I gave him a ride to his truck from my house. He just jumped in off we went, he didn't put on his seatbelt because it's a private road and no one else is on it. I told him that my car was going to get upset with him and start dinging, but it never did. I definitely got up to dinging speed but I just figured maybe I'd give the car the benefit of the doubt and say I didn't. But then when I was getting out of it at work it didn't do any dinging either. So once I came home I stopped at the beginning of my driveway, turned the car off, took off my seatbelt, turned the car back on, saw the warning light appear but no dinging and then drove the half mile home doing 25-30, still no dinging. I don't know what the deal is, my car was just at the dealer on the 29th to get the Vehicle Check done, no one there said anything about it. I've tested it several other times and still no dinging.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm taking it in again on the 12th because my turn signal indicator buttons were rattling and they are replacing them. I may tell them then, but at the same time it's kind of nice not having the dinging. Should I be worried?
You're lucky, that seat belt ding really gets annoying sometimes
Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Maybe the dinging was not loaded due to a fault at startup.
Happened to me twice. All those dings were gone, but everything was working. Even the PDC tones were gone, while it functioned perfectly. A shut down and start up of the engine helped, the chime was loaded and everything was back to normal then.
Maybe your ding is back meanwhile...
Old 09-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

Just checked it again today. I picked my car up from having my fenders rolled and decided I'd take the risk of not wearing my seatbelt for a little while, no dinging. Then I tried the key ding when I got home, still nothing.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

You wouldn't believe how many fellow E60'ers would love to shut that damn ding off.....
I guess if the PDC ding also disappears that's not a good thing.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

So no one else has had this "problem"? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to "suffer" all by myself on this one. I'll play around with things this weekend and see if I can't figure out why it's not working. I'll let everyone know what I find, if I find anything.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='331774' date='Sep 7 2006, 07:58 AM
So no one else has had this "problem"? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to "suffer" all by myself on this one. I'll play around with things this weekend and see if I can't figure out why it's not working. I'll let everyone know what I find, if I find anything.
I'm just wondering if that famous little speaker in the driver's footwell is to blame (or bless)?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

So I'm not really sure how it happened, but my car no longer dings if I leave the keys in the ignition and open the door, if I'm not wearing a seatbelt, etc, etc. The little seatbelt icon and key icon shows up in the display, but no dinging.

Maybe the diet is working?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='331774' date='Sep 7 2006, 08:58 AM
So no one else has had this "problem"?
Well, I had it twice and the problem allways disappeared after a reboot.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='331858' date='Sep 7 2006, 07:22 AM
I'm just wondering if that famous little speaker in the driver's footwell is to blame (or bless)?
I'm thinking it might be that also, so I'm going to take apart that whole area this weekend to see if something is disconnected.

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Ding Gone!!!