E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Screwed by Jiffy Lube!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05' 545i Sport Sapphire Black
Smile

So I go pick up 9 quarts of Mobil 1 and a filter to change my oil. I tried to get up under the ramps but the car is just too low compared to my truck. I am going out of town on thursday and today is the only day I can get my oil changed so I go to Jiffy Lube.

Apon going there they tell me that they are going to suck the oil through the dipstick since they do not feel comfortable draining it from the pan because it is aluminum....so they proceed to suck oil out of the dip stick. Obviously they didnt get it all out because they put 8 1/2 quarts in and when I get home the oil level is about an inch higher than the MAX fill line...So I go back to Jiffy Lube and they suck more oil out untill it is at the correct level. Changing oil is their JOB and they do this...

I dont know how many quarts an inch higher on the dip stick is, but I believe it is at least 1 or 2. So they left 1 or 2 quarts of old oil in my engine. At this point I had already paid them to put my oil in the car.

Is there any damage I could have done driving 1 mile home with the extra oil in my car?

Should I call corporate Jiffy Lube and complain about this?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by smoak' post='858923' date='Apr 25 2009, 10:40 PM
So I go pick up 9 quarts of Mobil 1 and a filter to change my oil. I tried to get up under the ramps but the car is just too low compared to my truck. I am going out of town on thursday and today is the only day I can get my oil changed so I go to Jiffy Lube.

Apon going there they tell me that they are going to suck the oil through the dipstick since they do not feel comfortable draining it from the pan because it is aluminum....so they proceed to suck oil out of the dip stick. Obviously they didnt get it all out because they put 8 1/2 quarts in and when I get home the oil level is about an inch higher than the MAX fill line...So I go back and they suck more oil out untill it is at the correct level.

I dont know how many quarts an inch higher on the dip stick is, but I believe it is at least 1 or 2. So they left 1 or 2 quarts of old oil in my engine. At this point I had already paid them to put my oil in the car.

Is there any damage I could have done driving 1 mile home with the extra oil in my car?

It's not likely you harmed your engine - I'll bet you learned a valuable lesson. IMHO even if you were going on a major road trip pf several hundred miles the rush to have a Jiffy Screwed change your oil had the potential to do more harm than taking your trip and having it done correctly when you returned.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Yes you can damage your engine by over filling it with oil. It states it in the manual.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by smoak' post='858923' date='Apr 25 2009, 10:40 PM

Apon going there they tell me that they are going to suck the oil through the dipstick since they do not feel comfortable draining it from the pan because it is aluminum....so they proceed to suck oil out of the dip stick. Obviously they didnt get it all out because they put 8 1/2 quarts in and when I get home the oil level is about an inch higher than the MAX fill line...So I go back to Jiffy Lube and they suck more oil out untill it is at the correct level. Changing oil is their JOB and they do this...

You are nuts to bring a BMW to Jiffy Lube...

Those morons top off all your fluids as part of their service. They poured oil in my daughter?s master cylinder. I had to have the brake system flushed and replace the master cylinder seal that blew up like a beached whale after absorbing the oil.

You could have really screwed your motor if you drove the car hard with that much oil in it.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Nah you'll be fine. Forget about about complaining no real point just don't go back.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

So needless to say, they didn't change the oil filter.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

BMW - Jiffy Lube WTF!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Bottom line: if you can't do the oil change yourself, take it to a BMW mechanic. Hopefully those morons at Jiffy Lube did not damage your engine.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Contributors

you should have just driven your car and done the oil change when you got home.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

This is the second screwed by Jiffy Lube post the past week. Someone else brought their car in to have their summer tires put back on and they put the rears on the front & vice versa. Moral of the story is to avoid Jiffy Lube. Perceptive, aren't I??

Quick Reply: Screwed by Jiffy Lube!!