E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A scratch on my E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 06:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to park on the street for a week while carport was repaired.
Some kids came by and left marks on cars in the neighborhood.
Look what they left on my baby.

A scratch on my E60-carscratch1.jpg

A scratch on my E60-carscratch2.jpg

What would you do?
Is this something you would take to the dealer, a body shop, or cover-up yourself with a color-matched marker? If you had something like this repaired can you give me a ballpark estimate on cost?

I briefly thought about leaving it alone but it's really obvious on the sapphire black exterior.

I was thinking about getting the dealer to repair it and, oh by the way, let's load 16.2 at the same time.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pubsmeister' date='Apr 20 2005, 03:04 PM
Had to park on the street for a week while carport was repaired.
Some kids came by and left marks on cars in the neighborhood.
Look what they left on my baby.

Attachment 6813

Attachment 6814

What would you do?
Is this something you would take to the dealer, a body shop, or cover-up yourself with a color-matched marker? If you had something like this repaired can you give me a ballpark estimate on cost?

I briefly thought about leaving it alone but it's really obvious on the sapphire black exterior.

I was thinking about getting the dealer to repair it and, oh by the way, let's load 16.2 at the same time.
[snapback]117630[/snapback]
Personally, I would take it to my local bodyshop (a good one), thereby saving a packet on BMW Main Dealer Labour rates, but still getting the scratch sorted out to my satisfaction............Beware though, if you get it fixed, the next time it happens (chances are it will), it will hurt even more!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Take it a high end detailer. They can wet sand and buff it, and you'd be surprised what a difference it can make. I had a 2" scratch on my last car repaired this way, and you really had to look hard to find it.

Hard to tell from the pic, but if the scratch is through the clear coat and color coat (down to the primer or metal), wet sanding probably won't do much, but it's worth a try before deciding to have it painted.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Contributors

"Look at the mess they made of my boy... I want all inquires made... I want no acts of vengence... I want a meeting with a heads of the five families... We will settle the families business..."

Find the little bastards and get mid-evil!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Have it repaired, you'll have a bad feeling everytime you see your own car, let alone clean it.

This is through the paint, a good repair shop can do a spot repair. Complete repaint is better.

Should cost you about $350-450 with a professional paintshop for a complete respray of the bumper and left rear panel (not spot repair)
Old 04-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

That kind of stuff really PO's me. Sorry to hear about it.

I would do some research and try to find somebody that can do a spot repair. There are somepeople out there that are really good. You would probably still see a little of it, but I hate the thought of spraying a whole quarter panel. It is never as good as factory German paint.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Apr 20 2005, 09:37 AM
That kind of stuff really PO's me.? Sorry to hear about it.

I would do some research and try to find somebody that can do a spot repair.? There are somepeople out there that are really good.? You would probably still see a little of it, but I hate the thought of spraying a whole quarter panel.? It is never as good as factory German paint.
[snapback]117702[/snapback]
If the wet sanding doesn't work, an alternative is having somebody airbrush the scratched areas. Car dealers do this all the time when reconditioning used cars (particularly rock chips on front bumpers), although I've heard that the airbrushing will be somewhat noticeable after some number of years.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

A dissenting voice here. I actually plan to park my new e60 in "high-risk" spots right after I get it. My reasoning: it's going to get dents and scratches eventually; let's get it out of the way so I can enjoy my (cosmetically flawed but great nonetheless) vehicle.

However I know my point of view is somewhat unusual.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

If your car was a white or silver color, then you could just use rubbing compound on the scratch and it would disappear.

Unfortunately for you, you cannot use rubbing compound on black.

Don't go to BMW about it. Just take it to a professional. If you tell BMW about it, then they'll just take note of the fact it was damaged and use that against you when you try to trade the car in for a new car.

NEVER give a car dealership easy ammo against you by involving them with issues like this.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 Boxster, 02 IS-300, 03 MDX

I would punch the kid in the face

Quick Reply: A scratch on my E60