E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Scratch & Dent - where to find the exact paint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

As all cars get scratches and dents, mine does too...

I recently looked all around the car and found a bunch of scratches, a few door dings and a few paint chips as well.. I was very sad to see them. But the next thing to do is to fix it. I fixed many of the scratches myself by using the Maguire's scratch repair compound found at local pepboys. I own a handheld wax applier (buffer) that I used to smooth out the scratches. BUT this does not work for the paint chips and dents.

So... How to fix those? I looked at this forum and found a bunch of stuff on how to repair them, but the issue is I cannot find the paint - My car has "Titanium Metallic Grey" paint which I cannot find anywhere local. I found a link - http://www.drcolorchip.com/ that sells the paint but from what I have read, it works well for solid paints but not so much for the metallic ones. Is there any place that mixes paint to match exactly? My doubt is that if I find a paint that is exact match in a bottle, it would be exact match for when the car was brand new, not now after 6 and a half year. And this is something I dont want to take a chance on because the paint would stand out easily.

May be I am being too picky, but I love this car...

OR IS IT BETTER TO HAVE IT REPAINTED COMPLETELY with same color??? I guess thats a more expensive way to go but results would be much better as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

BMW do both a colour stick and a colour can kit.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
BMW do both a colour stick and a colour can kit.
Great! I will check with the local dealer... Hope the prices are reasonable.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by chirag11
Great! I will check with the local dealer... Hope the prices are reasonable.
I just ordered a touchup paint pen from the dealer (out of stock for my color) : $26.86 + tax

edit: I recommend you call before you go. Crevier didn't have mine.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could have gotten a PINT for $20......... and it could have been more custom tailored to your actual paint! Those pens from dealers will NEVER match your paint perfectly. If anyone goes this route, use a tiny brush and a pen of clear. I mean this pint will cover a hood, bumper and two front fenders!
Scratch & Dent - where to find the exact paint?-img_0496.jpg
Old 12-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could have gotten a PINT for $20......... and it could have been more custom tailored to your actual paint! Those pens from dealers will NEVER match your paint perfectly. If anyone goes this route, use a tiny brush and a pen of clear. I mean this pint will cover a hood, bumper and two front fenders!
Great... Damn...

Edit: AchtungE60 - where can I get this pint from?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

Call your local NAPA... see if they have a paint shop within. Martin Senor Paints. Just FYI bro BMW factory color shades differ depending on the day of the week it was painted. That's why you'll never get it EXACT. Close but not exact...ask any BMW body shop and they'll tell you they mix their paints in-house and "blend" with the other panels to create the illusion that its the same color.........anyway if you're doing chips you shouldn't worry about any of that anyway. like i said.......close but NEVER exact.... ESPECIALLY on the Alpin Weiss and Silber Grau
Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Please remember that even if you have the same batch of paint that was used to spray your car if you do not mix the paint thoroughly, the paint will never match, as many of the metallics have settle to the bottom.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Senior Members

OP - I forgot to tell you......... u must get reducer as well $10 or so. Ask them to mix your pint in a QUART can. Then you just add reducer until you fill up the can and enjoy.
Originally Posted by healthservices
Please remember that even if you have the same batch of paint that was used to spray your car if you do not mix the paint thoroughly, the paint will never match, as many of the metallics have settle to the bottom.

And stirring goes for ANY paint. not just metallics.... Even interior house paint. Actually metallics have to be shaken in the paint gun reservoir even during a painting session and a specific technique is used for metallics.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
OP - I forgot to tell you......... u must get reducer as well $10 or so. Ask them to mix your pint in a QUART can. Then you just add reducer until you fill up the can and enjoy.

And stirring goes for ANY paint. not just metallics.... Even interior house paint. Actually metallics have to be shaken in the paint gun reservoir even during a painting session and a specific technique is used for metallics.
Thanks bro. I'll remember this always!

I love this forum haha

Quick Reply: Scratch & Dent - where to find the exact paint?