E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

That scraping/grinding/squeaking steering again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008 | 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I know this subject has been banded around the forum before, however, finally took my car into dealer (before warranty runs out) to have the steering noise fixed. They told me they had topped up the power steering fluid and that had fixed the problem. I picked the car up yesterday and noticed the noise was back (maybe never went away).

My dealer told me 6/12months ago that they had replaced some E60 steering racks as a result of this noise.

If you have experienced this problem would you mind please letting me know what your dealer did to eradicate it. I have my car booked back in on 13th Feb and would like to know what I need to bawl at the useless wa*kers.

Many thanks

Merv
Old 02-06-2008 | 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

seem to have the same problem now.. steering scrape sound when turning not in all speeds and time but mostly when slow driving...
the dealer also changed the steering rack (or maybe gear/column no sure) about 1 1/2 years ago. now i have a strong scraping sound, as well as the steering vibrates when lowering/rising (key entry), cars out of warranty, dealer wants to change steering rack, column and something else i dont remember, got a 80% discount on parts from BMW goodwill, but still the bill for parts a labour about $1500, without discount parts alone over $3000...
tell them to fix the sound before warranty is out...
Old 02-06-2008 | 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

It's the sound of the langoliers coming for your wallet behind the tail end of the warranty!