E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SAT Transmission Shutdown???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

When driving the freeways, I usually keep the car in manual Sport mode and use the paddle shifters...Driving home tonight (going about 70 mph) all of a sudden I noticed that the tranny had shifted into auto D? Still Sport mode but no more manual. I moved it back to manual and the lever actually kept moving back to auto. I was pushing the car a bit hard but nothing out of the ordinary. After a few minutes, it was fine again. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing the car shutdown the manual sport mode due to excessive rpm's/speed???
Old 07-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributors

When you shifted into manual mode, did you make a gear change? If I remember correctly, if you don't change gears, it will revert back to normal "D" mode after a little while; making the change prevents it from doing that.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sam530' post='629656
When you shifted into manual mode, did you make a gear change? If I remember correctly, if you don't change gears, it will revert back to normal "D" mode after a little while; making the change prevents it from doing that.
If you shift to the left gate (sport mode), it will not go back to D after any amount of time. What you're referring to is a situation where a paddle was used while in D mode...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='629980' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:06 AM
If you shift to the left gate (sport mode), it will not go back to D after any amount of time. What you're referring to is a situation where a paddle was used while in D mode...
And, that is pretty convenient, too! My normal driving through the city/highway mix is in DS mode (use MS mode when enthusiastic about our mountainous terrain around here). When in DS but wanting more control, flipping the paddles for that stretch of driving is super and I'm fine with it then reverting back to DS mode.

I guess what I'm saying is, I like pretty much everything about this Sport Automatic Transmission, and would never have guessed that until I took delivery.

Cal
Old 07-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='629980' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:06 AM
I drive mine all the time in manual sport mode and I've never seen it automatically snap back over to the "D" side unless I press "P" or shut the motor off...

This is how the SAT is supposed to work and for 20K miles I've never had a problem...I hope this isn't a tranny issue!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt that it's a tranny issue -- if anything, it's a shifter issue. I know they've had some issues with the shifters already (my car will be getting it's second replacement soon) so my bet is that the problem isn't a major one.

Keep in mind that the gearbox itself is mechanically disconnected from the shift lever. The only thing that can make the lever move is the embedded electronics in the shifter itself or some other electronic module that would be easily replaced...
Old 07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='630097' date='Jul 22 2008, 03:28 PM
I doubt that it's a tranny issue -- if anything, it's a shifter issue. I know they've had some issues with the shifters already (my car will be getting it's second replacement soon) so my bet is that the problem isn't a major one.
Not to hijack the thread, but what is causing you to get a second replacement on the shifter Rudy? A repeat of you first issue?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='630122' date='Jul 22 2008, 05:04 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but what is causing you to get a second replacement on the shifter Rudy? A repeat of you first issue?
Sort of, but not really...

The first shifter would sometimes not snap back to the right after pressing "P" but when the tech was diagnosing another problem where the car was not going into sleep mode properly (which, of course, was causing other problems), it was determined that the shifter was the module keeping the car awake. They replaced the shift lever and things were fine for a while.

Now, I have a similar issue where something keeps the car from sleeping but only if I open and close the trunk so I don't think it's related to the shift lever. The reason I'm getting a new shift lever this time is because now, it almost never snaps back to the right after pressing "P"...

The technician told me he thinks they've modified the shifter part (can't be 100% sure though) since the earlier version(s) that I had so maybe the third time will be the charm.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='629980' date='Jul 22 2008, 02:06 PM
Ahhhh... that's it. Thanks for the correction.

My shifter used to snap back when I pressed P, but it stopped doing that a few months ago. No other problems, but perhaps I'll get it looked at anyway.