E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sat Radio Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I will take the car into the dealer next week for this, but am wondering if a Sat radio failure requires replacement of the whole head unit, or is it a plug-in module to the communication center? My car is '08 550i with NAV. The Sat radio has had trouble now and then for the past couple days dropping the signal, reporting "Acquiring sats...", and today just is locked up. FM/AM/WB and AUX all work fine, but nothing on SAT.

By the way -- and believe it or not -- this is the FIRST failure of anything, ever, since I bought the car nearly 3 years and 33K miles ago. Awesome for such a technology ride.

Thanks in advance,

Cal
Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There is a plug-in sat radio module in the trunk so yes, if that's what's failing, then they should be able to replace it and you'll never have to touch the dashboard, etc. Hope that's all it is...
Old 11-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Thanks for the quick reply, Rudy.... and it's gratifying to see you're still around these parts. You were very helpful to me as I was contemplating models and configuring my car, and it's been just a dream to own and drive. I lurk this site, and sometimes bimmerfest as well, but just don't have the time to contribute too much. But when a question arises, like this one, I know where to go! Anyway, best to you and thanks again,

Cal
Old 11-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by calpalmer
Thanks for the quick reply, Rudy.... and it's gratifying to see you're still around these parts. You were very helpful to me as I was contemplating models and configuring my car, and it's been just a dream to own and drive. I lurk this site, and sometimes bimmerfest as well, but just don't have the time to contribute too much. But when a question arises, like this one, I know where to go! Anyway, best to you and thanks again,

Cal
No problem Cal. As you know, aside from color, our cars are almost twins! We may not be as big as those other sites but I think you'll agree we make up for it in quality...

Are you aware that your "twin" will be leaving me in a couple weeks? I'll miss it dearly but am positive that I'll enjoy my F10 as much as I enjoyed my E60s.

Take care and don't be such a stranger!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

No, I didn't know you're leaping to the F10.... good luck with that. This particular version of the E60 seems to be darned near bullet proof. Plus I like its front styling a lot better than your new ride I do hope you enjoy it as much as you have your '08.
Cal
Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by calpalmer
No, I didn't know you're leaping to the F10.... good luck with that. This particular version of the E60 seems to be darned near bullet proof. Plus I like its front styling a lot better than your new ride I do hope you enjoy it as much as you have your '08.
Cal
I realize the F10's looks are a little controversial but since you haven't been around in some time and you specifically mentioned you didn't like the front styling, I wanted you to see what the M-sport package does for the front of the car...

Check out the following pics of what my car will look like (post #10 in case things scroll):
https://5series.net/forums/topic/105...st__p__1251666

See you around Cal!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

thanks for the link... I stand by my prior statement, though for the record I don't HATE the F10, just prefer the E60 with the M bumper... And as I think about it, it's not just the bumper, but the front cross section. They've added more crease lines and bloat to the front of the F10 compared to the E60, to my eye anyway. But again, it's not like I'd bitch about it if I owned one!

Have fun with it!

Cal