E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sat Nav Professional

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11/2007 E60 LCI 530d ///M Sport - Deep Sea Blue - M Double Sp 172 19" Mixed Wheels - Sports Automatic Transmission - Cream/Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Wood Bamboo - Full Visibility Package - Full Media Package - Heated Seats - Auto-Dim Int+Ext Folding Mirrors - M Rear Spoiler - Sun Protection Glazing - Voice Control

Hi,

Did a quick search and couldn't really dig anything up on this subject but, I bought my present E60 LCI with Sat Nav Professional. The quality of the maps and circular direction icon are similar to the early days of the firmware that was in my MKIV DVD Sat Nav system that was in my E39 (it was one of the very last 2003 E39s and so had the MKIV DVD system) I regularly had the dealer do the software upgrades and at one stage (version V27 I think) it introduced the 'Perspective' option and also the graphics became much smoother and cleaner. They were much better rendered with no jagged edges.

Now, when I bought the new E60 LCI, I expected many improvements to the new SatNav system but was disapointed to find that the screen, in terms of picture quality seems to have gone backwords and looks more like the quality I got in the early E39 days.

Am I missing something ?? Is there a setting that I do not have right? Is it because the supplied BMW map disk is the professional version, and would the graphics be much better if I use the 'DVD High' version?

I borrowed a disk from a friends brand new 7 series a couple of days ago as it was newer but my system couldn't even read it !! When I looked in his boot, it looked like his car (although new) was still using the MKIV system that I had in my E39, and the display quality was the same good graphics that I left with my old car.

I am assuming the new E60 LCI uses different maps to the MKIV system?

Sorry about the droning on and all the questions but I did think the Sat Nav would be better in the new car !!

Any guidance appreciated, and apologies if this has been covered, but I couldn't find much when searching.

Regards

Melv