E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SAT NAV PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 02:45 AM
abs
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELLO ALL I AM NEW TO THE SITE.

I AM A PROUD OWNER OF AN E60 530D SPORT SINCE DECEMBER.

MY ONE GRIPE HOWEVER IS THAT THE PROFF SAT NAV DOES NOT PROVIDE ME WITH TRAFFIC WARNINGS OR OPTION TO TAKE DIVERSIONS. ONLY ONCE HAS IT EVER TOLD ME THAT THERE WAS TRAFFIC AHEAD.

I HAVE DONE EVERTHING ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL TO RECTIFY THINGS BUT NO LUCK. CAN ANYONE HELP
Old 03-20-2005, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard ABS!

I think if you are in Europe, you would be using RDS (if that is the correct name for the traffic info).

Someone here should be able to help on this one, but it may not be NAV itself that gets you this info.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think it's TMC, not RDS. Unfortunately, that's about all I know on the subject. Surely someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributors

It?s called TMC and works very well in most european countries:

1. You need to enable TMC in the iDrive settings
2. You need to be in Navigation mode with guidance on (!) to get diversion suggestions
3. You need to enable dynamic routing to get diversion suggestion
4. You need a TMC station to be broadcasting to your radio (one of the reasons it?s a dual tuner in there so you can listen to a non-tmc station at the same time). TMC should be indicated on your iDrive screen if this is working.
5. Your country needs a good TMC editor policy (fx. it?s much better in Germany than in Sweden) to get the best accuracy and full info.
6. There has to be a charted (by Navteq) detour that is reasonable - eg. a single bridge with an accident on it can have no alternative. This is programmed into the computer how to make a reasonable decision.
7. The time delay has to be long enough to warrant a detour suggestion. Also programmed rules for this inside the computer.

I will most often program my work as goal and have all TMC messages displayed on the left and a small map to the right. If you do this the logic of TMC becomes very clear as there is obvious symbols on traffic problems on your route compared to those in other places.

I drive a lot and this has saved me often but of course how often the diversion suggestion sets in depends on your areas traffic intensity.

best
objetti
Old 03-20-2005, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Good post objekt.

One point I would make for (3), however:

If you have dynamic routing OFF, the system will alert you to the next traffic problem that would impact your journey and give you the option to allow the nav computer to calculate an alternative. This is instead of it autocalculating a new route for each new traffic problem.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:19 AM
abs
Members

thanks all u guys. i am from the UK. i have done everthing that objectx has suggested but have had no success.

i guess i need to go back to the dealers
Old 03-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Do you have the TMC icon at the bottom of the i-drive screen? If not you will have no TMC reception.

There is a known problem with the sensitivity on the TMC receiver.

To get around this, manuallly tune to Classic FM (TMC carrier in the UK). This will force the TMC on. Afterwards you should be able to tune to whatever you want (or listen to another source).
Old 03-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by abs' date='Mar 20 2005, 06:45 AM
HELLO ALL I AM NEW TO THE SITE.

I AM A PROUD OWNER OF AN E60 530D SPORT SINCE DECEMBER.

MY ONE GRIPE HOWEVER IS THAT THE PROFF SAT NAV DOES NOT PROVIDE ME WITH TRAFFIC WARNINGS OR OPTION TO TAKE DIVERSIONS. ONLY ONCE HAS IT EVER TOLD ME THAT THERE WAS TRAFFIC AHEAD.

I HAVE DONE EVERTHING ACCORDING TO THE MANUAL TO RECTIFY THINGS BUT NO LUCK. CAN ANYONE HELP
[snapback]104039[/snapback]
Hi abs and welcome,

Did you pay the extra ?1,300 for the TMC option, over and above the cost of Sat Nav Pro?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by objekt' date='Mar 20 2005, 03:20 PM
It?s called TMC and works very well in most european countries.
[snapback]104069[/snapback]
Yep.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, abs !

Quick Reply: SAT NAV PROBLEM