E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sat Nav Bsuiness - TMC Functionality

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 01:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I recently wrote to BMW GB formally complaining that the Traffic Messaging Channel (TMC) does not work on the Sat Nav Business version, despite having 'Traffic Information' as one of the menu options; plus also shwon in the brochure on the Sat Nav Business pictuire; etc.

I received a reply from BMW GB earlier this week:-

'This TMC function is only available with the professional satellite navigation, as it runs off a DVD unit, not a CD unit as in the business system. The TMC image will show in the brochure beacuse the function is available on the screen, but not within the system.'

What a load of twaddle.........!

- if I only have a CD player and not DVD player what am I doing with a DVD '2004-1 Road Map Europe Business' which seems to work fine in my 'CD-player'

- how can 'the function' be 'available on the screen' but 'not within the system'

I have written a second letter today explaining their response is totally unacceptable having bought the sat nav specifically for this feature. I have demanded either they fix (which I know they cant at present); they refund me the full cost of this option; or they upgrade me to the professional system.

The next step will probably be the small claims court for misrepresentation under the 'sale of goods act'!!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

This really is outrageous!

The E60 brochure clearly states that the bus nav has the ability to use the TMC function. As you already said make sure that they know how you feel and make sure that they either refund the bus nav unit or let you upgrade to the pro nav unit by only paying the difference between the two units! If they do not agree to any of these propositions then demand a new car!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Members

Hi Whihr

I agree - what a load of twaddle. I have business nav, cannot get the TMC to work in the UK but *have* seen it work in Germany. Like you, I have complained to the dealer and am awaiting their response. Please keep in touch via the board and let me know how you get on and I will do likewise.

Best regards....
Old 06-16-2004, 07:01 AM

According to my dealer (UK)

It is to do with the dual tuner radio's.

Prof nav has dual tuner and thats why TMC works.

They also said if you tune your business nav into classic fm the TMC will work as this is the carrier frequency!

Not a lot of good if your not into classical music!

Should be sorted by Sept / Oct of this year apparently!!! <_<
Old 06-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jun 16 2004, 03:01 PM
According to my dealer (UK)

It is to do with the dual tuner radio's.

Prof nav has dual tuner and thats why TMC works.

They also said if you tune your business nav into classic fm the TMC will work as this is the carrier frequency!

Not a lot of good if your not into classical music!

Should be sorted by Sept / Oct of this year apparently!!! <_<
This is incorrect.

Business navigation includes the same Professional (2 tuner) Radio that comes with Pro Nav.

My theory on the UK TMC issue is that there are some code problems on the DVD that do not allow the UK portion of TMC to be used. I wonder if you chaps with Business Nav could borrow the latest 2004-2 disc to test the theory.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Members

BMW UK advised my dealer that fix from AG was expected late 2004 or early 2005!! Not exactly rushing themselves!!

earlier post