E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Same engine in 523i and 525i?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have not been able to get an answer that makes sense to me. So-called experts tell me that the intake manifold, cams, etc are different yet when I check the part numbers on www.realoem.com they are the same. In fact the part number for a complete engine for both the 523i and 525i is exactly the same.

The only difference I can see is the Programmed MSV70 Control Unit (presumably an ECU). Does this mean that I can install a 525i's ECU into a 523i and get an instant 40hp more? This sounds like a lot from an ECU upgrade, but the engine of the 523i is detuned considerably so it is merely putting it back to "regular" tune, right? Is there technically anything stopping me from doing this?

The BMW distributor in Singapore claims that this will not work. But then again they would say that as they charge US$20,000+ extra for the 525i! (You do get options like GPS, Active Steer and Adaptive lights as standard equipment though)
Old 11-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kopi_o' post='204160' date='Nov 28 2005, 05:09 PM
I have not been able to get an answer that makes sense to me. So-called experts tell me that the intake manifold, cams, etc are different yet when I check the part numbers on www.realoem.com they are the same. In fact the part number for a complete engine for both the 523i and 525i is exactly the same.

The only difference I can see is the Programmed MSV70 Control Unit (presumably an ECU). Does this mean that I can install a 525i's ECU into a 523i and get an instant 40hp more? This sounds like a lot from an ECU upgrade, but the engine of the 523i is detuned considerably so it is merely putting it back to "regular" tune, right? Is there technically anything stopping me from doing this?

The BMW distributor in Singapore claims that this will not work. But then again they would say that as they charge US$20,000+ extra for the 525i! (You do get options like GPS, Active Steer and Adaptive lights as standard equipment though)
i drive a 523i too and i guess the only way is to buy the ECU unit and try it out. How much does the it cost? Will it void the warranty??
Old 11-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Members

I am in the process of trying to get a 525i ECU but I have a feeling that it will not be a simple swap of the boxes. Presumably the correct software will also have to be loaded to support the options/accessories installed on the car. Unless this is controlled elsewhere.

Can anyone explain what is meant when you guys discuss getting the latest software, CIP 19.x or whatever? Does this have anything to do with the ECU? When this software is updated, is it just the iDrive or the ECU as well?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by kopi_o' post='204508' date='Nov 28 2005, 06:05 PM
I am in the process of trying to get a 525i ECU but I have a feeling that it will not be a simple swap of the boxes. Presumably the correct software will also have to be loaded to support the options/accessories installed on the car. Unless this is controlled elsewhere.

Can anyone explain what is meant when you guys discuss getting the latest software, CIP 19.x or whatever? Does this have anything to do with the ECU? When this software is updated, is it just the iDrive or the ECU as well?

the same small engine crammed into a large car! C'mon, will chipping it actually make a difference? I drove a bmw loaner x3 with a 2.5 litre engine - absolutely no passing power! Makes alot of revving noise but for god sakes - how can they cram such small engines into such heavy cars.

Save the money of tuning ofr an upgrade. I can see how a 2.3 liter engine can make sense in a 3000lb honda or toyota - but in a car that weighs two tons its sad :thumbsdown:

Perhaps, replace the wheels with 20lb wheels from dinan $1300 each(god knows what the weight is in oem wheels), add dinan cold air intake (20hp) $900.00, remove the spare, get rid of the rear seats (- 120lbs), carbon fiber everything possible. But at this rate you can probably use this money to pur a down on a honda s2000 and pay $400 a month for the next 4 years.

But it'll probably help you to sleep at night when your license plate reads my other car is a bmw. or vice versa - my sports car is a s2000!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 545smg' post='204514' date='Nov 28 2005, 06:25 PM
Makes alot of revving noise but for god sakes - how can they cram such small engines into such heavy cars.
Thats funny! Reminds me of an episode where Jeremy Clarkson said the old SL all it did when you mash on the gas pedal was make noise and didnt change the speed of acceleration
Old 11-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

kopi_o i understand with the car pricing over at Singapore. However, i would just go for the 525i with those additional options that's not in included in 523i. Imagine an E60 without a xenon headlight.... Moreover i wouldn't get the lowest model of a car...
Old 11-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by soc_fans' post='204562' date='Nov 29 2005, 01:42 PM
kopi_o i understand with the car pricing over at Singapore. However, i would just go for the 525i with those additional options that's not in included in 523i. Imagine an E60 without a xenon headlight.... Moreover i wouldn't get the lowest model of a car...
Yes prices are crazy here. For the price of one 523i in Singapore you could buy TWO 545is in the US. Gas is US$4/gallon and road tax is based on engine capacity. A 545i would cost US$3500/yr tax. Insurance is correspondingly high.

The "standard" specs for cars is decided by the distributor. To order a custom spec car would take 3 months for delivery and you end up paying a higher price because it is "non-standard"! Fortunately the 523i comes with xenons but not adaptive. Didn't want or need the other "goodies" on the 525i though.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by kopi_o' post='204571
The "standard" specs for cars is decided by the distributor. To order a custom spec car would take 3 months for delivery and you end up paying a higher price because it is "non-standard"! Fortunately the 523i comes with xenons but not adaptive. Didn't want or need the other "goodies" on the 525i though.
[/quote]

I apologize if offended any of the singaporean e60er's

I'm sympathetic to the gas crises as well.....

But there are 250 posts on the e60 sub forum for singapore, why not just buy the 530 - decent power - can't be much more to upgrade to a 3.0 liter from a 2.3 liter...

The money spent on tuning should come close, perhaps there should be a topic to wait for enough savings over 6 months or so to upgrade to a 530?

I mean how much can you do to a 2.0, 2.3, 0r even a 2.5 liter engine to maximize the horsepower required to power a two ton car into the 8 or 9 sec 0-60 range?

What about thinking about resale?? The resale value must be ridiculous after a few years. I guess its a matter of brand/lifestyle, etc.

But I think that for some us, we want to pay the extra $$$ forn e60 for its driving experience - the sense of power, performance and pleasure.

Having driven the 2.5 liter, I just can't feel any of that, it almost seems like a marketing ploy for branding.

:thumbsdown:

Having said that, I am again symapthetic to the tax situation, and the lack of local manufacturing or ability to create performance vehicles in singapore - but maybe a lesser brand like a suburu, evo, or lancia could flourish - or at least satisfy actual performance bred drivers.

When it comes to tuning a 2.0 or 2.5, I just can't see much difference - if it get to a 7 sec 0-60 - I would hate to see an e60 being outrunned, outperformed, and outclassed by an $18,000 honda civic si that gets double the gas mileage as well!!!

:thumbsdown:
Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Members

hey kopi_o keep us posted on your ecu search.
i be very interested in getting one too if it works.
thanks.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 545smg' post='204584
hey kopi_o keep us posted on your ecu search.
i be very interested in getting one too if it works.
thanks.
I will post whatever info I can gather for those wishing to unleash the missing 40hp! The more I investigate the more interesting it gets!

Quick Reply: Same engine in 523i and 525i?