E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Salvage BMW 550i Rebuild

Old 09-18-2015, 11:04 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i 6-speed Sport PKG

Sounds good. Thank you for the advice.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:32 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package
Default Great Car. Mine Still Going Strong After 170k Miles

Good for you! My '06 550i is still going strong at 170k miles. Here are the items I have fixed, which are mostly leaks:

Valve seals
Valve cover gaskets
Timing cover gaskets
Alternator and its bracket gasket (get it while the motor is out!)
Coolant transfer pipe in the motor
Valley pan
Coolant gasket at back of motor
Water pump
ATF fluid!!! (And the associated seals-- I can't remember the names off the top of my head)
Rear diff fluid
Lower control arm bushings
Brake servo and fluid

Don't waste time on cold air intake or other performance mods. I've read that open air intake mod like KN don't add a lot on these motors and may actually impede, unless it's a sealed unit that links directly to fresh air. The V8 does fine on its own.
Drive the car in sport mode only.
Add the Mtech bumpers and skirts if you don't already have them. They look way cooler.
Mpg not bad at about 18 or so.

Have fun. It's a solid, powerful car that will last years, if you take care of her. And it's a strong, naturally aspirated V8 which are becoming more difficult to find because the world is going turbo.

Psam550

Last edited by psam550; 09-19-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i X-drive 6MT M-Sport

I know you said you don't care about opinions, but since you posted on the internet I won't be offended if you don't care about mine.
You say you have been doing this for years, yet you need to ask advice for routine maintenance? I think that this car will most likely be a lifetime of trouble after you sink the money into it. BTW, I wouldn't compare the value to blue book. It will never value blue book with a salvaged title. Once you sink the money into it, it should be compared to one with a salvaged title. Apples to apples.

I do wish you the best of luck however
Old 09-19-2015, 08:44 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gregm
I know you said you don't care about opinions, but since you posted on the internet I won't be offended if you don't care about mine.
You say you have been doing this for years, yet you need to ask advice for routine maintenance? I think that this car will most likely be a lifetime of trouble after you sink the money into it. BTW, I wouldn't compare the value to blue book. It will never value blue book with a salvaged title. Once you sink the money into it, it should be compared to one with a salvaged title. Apples to apples.

I do wish you the best of luck however
I am sorry, that was ver rude of me. But I think after fixing everything, it would cost me few thousands dollars less than what you could get it in real market. But only half of that upfront and rest part by part. This way I can buy cars that I couldn't afford otherwise.Another thing is that most owners of high end cars take care of them before they meet the accident, this car is specially clean inside.
And sometimes you get a bad deal. The car I am driving right now will probably struggle to break even. And BMW 550 has always been one of top favorite cars, I used to have 6-Speed 545i and I absolutely loved it. And then I get email that this car is available with Navigation, CA, SMG and Sport Package, I had to do it. And the car sold for the exact amount that I told my friend to bid up to. So I am ok with with Salvage title and I have already driven the vehicle and know exactly how it drives, which is to say that every time I go home and see it, I get sad that I can't drive it already. Rest, any car can give you lifetime of troubles. You just do your maintenance and hope for the best.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

That car costs about $6000 with a clean title, with a salvage... About more than half.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:04 AM

My Ride: 08 550i Msport, 05 Suzuki GSX-R750
Default Hows the car

Originally Posted by PakiBeamer
I am sorry, that was ver rude of me. But I think after fixing everything, it would cost me few thousands dollars less than what you could get it in real market. But only half of that upfront and rest part by part. This way I can buy cars that I couldn't afford otherwise.Another thing is that most owners of high end cars take care of them before they meet the accident, this car is specially clean inside.
And sometimes you get a bad deal. The car I am driving right now will probably struggle to break even. And BMW 550 has always been one of top favorite cars, I used to have 6-Speed 545i and I absolutely loved it. And then I get email that this car is available with Navigation, CA, SMG and Sport Package, I had to do it. And the car sold for the exact amount that I told my friend to bid up to. So I am ok with with Salvage title and I have already driven the vehicle and know exactly how it drives, which is to say that every time I go home and see it, I get sad that I can't drive it already. Rest, any car can give you lifetime of troubles. You just do your maintenance and hope for the best.
Hey man, how did it go? I'd like to know how much it ended up costing you to fix your E60.
My formally pristine 08 550i M-Sport was just totaled. The damage looks to be less then yours but the front right rail is definitely toast. I'm buying the salvage back regardless but due to the rarity of the 6spd M-Sport 550 I'm debating wheter to fix the car... or wait until I find another and sell this one crashed.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:40 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Justin Stephens
Hey man, how did it go? I'd like to know how much it ended up costing you to fix your E60.
My formally pristine 08 550i M-Sport was just totaled. The damage looks to be less then yours but the front right rail is definitely toast. I'm buying the salvage back regardless but due to the rarity of the 6spd M-Sport 550 I'm debating wheter to fix the car... or wait until I find another and sell this one crashed.
So I believe all the parts were about $3000 and $1500 in labor, I didn't replace the rail. He pulled the car out and then just replace all the parts. He did a really good job with the body, but the paint job wasn't the best, but then for $1500 I can't complain. This doesn't include all the fluids replaced. I had the alignment done at Firestone, but the steering wheel is still not centered and if I try to center it, car goes left. Other than that, it drives amazing. Transmission and Engine are in top condition. I will post some pictures soon.