E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

SA says I need a new DME - on a 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Car

I dropped my car off this morning because when I started it I received the engine malfunction reduced power message and it was fluctuating between 1,000 and 3,000 during idle. I figured it was my time to be hit with the HPFP demons but my SA says they've been in touch with BMWNA about my car all day (is that normal?) and that they want to swap the DME with a new one. How common is this on model year 2010 e60's?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

The dealer has been in touch with BMWNA? They must not really know what the problem is or how to fix it. Since its still under warranty let em swap the DME while you rack up miles on a loaner. If it screws up again they'll probably replace the HPFP anyway.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

AFAIK, DME replacement is not part of hpfp repairs....however a software update and/or hpfp replacement is SOP....
Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me last month. I had check engine light on with hpfp symptoms. They first replaced the dme didn't fix, then software update, didn't fix, then finally replaced hpfp and problem solved. My car was at dealer for 24 days, my sa advised me these are unfortunately steps in protocol they must make when diagnosing these symptoms. Goodluck with your issues hopefully you get your hpfp replaced and your vehicle home quickly. My mpg improved from 18-19 to 24-25 after so was worth it in the end.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Just spoke with my SA. He said because the car has a Dinan tune he can do nothing and needs payment for the 3-4 hours his techs have into the car; thus the DME was not replaced. I advised that everything should be worked on, but for them to work with Dinan on the charges. He said he'd get back to me tomorrow. The dealer/SA is where I bought the car, 5 minutes from my house, but not the dealer who did the Dinan tune. I am about to call them within the next few minutes.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi

Originally Posted by corey
Just spoke with my SA. He said because the car has a Dinan tune he can do nothing and needs payment for the 3-4 hours his techs have into the car; thus the DME was not replaced. I advised that everything should be worked on, but for them to work with Dinan on the charges. He said he'd get back to me tomorrow. The dealer/SA is where I bought the car, 5 minutes from my house, but not the dealer who did the Dinan tune. I am about to call them within the next few minutes.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Please keep us updated on this issue. Hopefully, Dinan and BMW will get this resolved quickly.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

I spoke with the Dinan-authorized BMW dealer and they said to bring the car in, no worries that no matter what it is they will have it covered. My dealer wanted to have me pay for 3 hours of work before I picked it up but I advised that the estimate when I dropped it off was $0. They released it to me without anything due. As I was leaving, the service manager at my dealership said he spoke with the Dinan-authorized dealer and found there is a known issue with the newest Dinan tune for my car (which was just applied 2 weeks ago after it went in for the BMW software recall). They said it should be fixed tomorrow in about an hour. No DME replacement, nothing wrong with the car. Just a glitch in the latest Dinan code. I'll update more tomorrow night after everything gets worked out.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

No DME, no fuel pump, etc. The car was reflashed with the latest Dinan tune, effectively doing away with the bug in the software from the tune I had 3 weeks ago, which was needed because an open BMW campaign overwrote my original Dinan flash. The SA said the car is excellent and that I can pick it up tomorrow. A shame that the Dinan-authorized BMW dealer is an hour away while my local dealer is 2 miles When I asked the local dealer when they will become Dinan-authorized they said they never will.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear all is well and Dinan-BMW resolved the issue. That does suck to drive an hour to retrieve your vehicle, but it'll be a blast to drive back!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by corey
No DME, no fuel pump, etc. The car was reflashed with the latest Dinan tune, effectively doing away with the bug in the software from the tune I had 3 weeks ago, which was needed because an open BMW campaign overwrote my original Dinan flash. The SA said the car is excellent and that I can pick it up tomorrow. A shame that the Dinan-authorized BMW dealer is an hour away while my local dealer is 2 miles When I asked the local dealer when they will become Dinan-authorized they said they never will.
Glad to hear that it worked out. Sounds like working with the Dinan dealer for repairs might be the better route. I am tempted to go Dinan too but my dealer is not a Dinan retailer.

Quick Reply: SA says I need a new DME - on a 2010?