E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

runflats no more (nearly)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have written more than one or two things on the runflats. As you all know i dont like em. So the back two were going to go first.
I was in for an oil service today and the guy came with the paperwork and written on the front in big black writing "DONT DRIVE THIS CAR, TYRES ARE DANGEROUS"

So i already knew one of the rear runflats was below legal and the other on its way. But the guy now tells me that both fronts have lumps on the side and are dangerous. What a stroke of luck i have killed the 4 runflats. So tommorow i get non runflats. And i will let you all know what i think.

Now you probably all know what i will say about the non runflats and i know that there are lots of you out there who like the runflats!

And to the both of you i say, i will give you a balanced and true opinion of my new tyres!
I can already feel the smooth ride, noise free, tramline free.

Shit i hope i dont get a puncture on the way home cause i have not organised a spare yet!
Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='390781' date='Feb 13 2007, 12:14 AM
And to the both of you i say, i will give you a balanced and true opinion of my new tyres!
I can already feel the smooth ride, noise free, tramline free.
Congratulations on finally wearing those runflats down to the thread!
Have you decided what tyres you will go for? PS2s?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='390781' date='Feb 12 2007, 07:14 PM
Shit i hope i dont get a puncture on the way home cause i have not organised a spare yet!
Fraseman999 I was actually wondering myself what is the best backup in case of a flat tyre, a spare or another mean ?

Can anyone let me know if a Full size spare will fit in the underfloor storage?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='390930' date='Feb 13 2007, 10:04 AM
Can anyone let me know if a Full size spare will fit in the underfloor storage?
It won't. And the wider the wheel, the more it won't.

I believe someone said that certain elements in the wheel well could be dismantled but it sounded like a botch job.

ABC
Old 02-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Michelin PS2..... F&^K YEAH!!!!

I just got the oil changed on my 325i which had Bridgestone OEM runflats. 16,000 miles on them, and they were making terrible road noise. I complained about the road noise, and BMWNA replaced them for free.

I hate runflats.... but hell, it's hard to argue with free tires after 16,000 miles.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

The full size wheel will definitely not fit in the spare wheel well.

BMW sell spare wheel "kits" for around 155 GBPounds, which is wheel, tyre, jack, wheelbrace and storage. If you shop around you can get a wheel and tyre (new) for around 85 GBPounds. Make sure that it is the correct wheel as there are plenty of 3 series ones on eBay, and they're the wrong size. I had to take out the entire "wheel" storage tray to get my wheel and tyre in as the slots for the tray tidy stuck out too much so I couldn't quite get the wheel in, so the wheel is resting on the polystyrene protector for the electrickery boxes - I'll get some thin wood to cover that as an additional protector so it doesn't chafe the polystyrene. Another option would be to gently remove the slots that hold the tray tidy with a craft knife or similar.

IMHO, a spare is the only reasonable option. Yes, tyre foam in its various guises may work, but I KNOW that even a chocolate button spare will get me moving again reasonably quickly (I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty! and I keep a disposable one-piece boiler suit in the back in case I happen to be wearing decent clothes when I get a puncture). When I've got the caravan on the back, I know that the spare will cope OK with that too.

BTW, I went for Pirelli P Zero Rosso's (around 100 GBPounds each I think) and I am very pleased with them.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='390945' date='Feb 13 2007, 05:51 AM
Michelin PS2..... F&^K YEAH!!!!
I just got the oil changed on my 325i which had Bridgestone OEM runflats. 16,000 miles on them, and they were making terrible road noise. I complained about the road noise, and BMWNA replaced them for free.

I hate runflats.... but hell, it's hard to argue with free tires after 16,000 miles.
+1 I had my Dunlops rep;ased at 15,000. The new ones should last me till I get the new model 5 in 2008. Can't beat that.
cheers
vern
Old 02-13-2007, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='390974' date='Feb 13 2007, 07:51 AM
........till I get the new model 5 in 2008. Can't beat that.
cheers
vern

BMW F10 due late 2009 if I am not mistaken
Old 02-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Members

My Ride: November 2005, E61 535d SE Sapphire Black, Black Dakota Leather Comfort Seats, Dark Poplar trim, Pro Navigation, Bluetooth Phone Prep, 6xCD Changer, High Gloss Shadowline, Xenons, folding mirrors, removable towbar, plus other options, Style 166 (M5) 19" alloys (ditched the runflats!)

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='390965' date='Feb 13 2007, 11:59 AM
The full size wheel will definitely not fit in the spare wheel well.

BMW sell spare wheel "kits" for around 155 GBPounds, which is wheel, tyre, jack, wheelbrace and storage. If you shop around you can get a wheel and tyre (new) for around 85 GBPounds. Make sure that it is the correct wheel as there are plenty of 3 series ones on eBay, and they're the wrong size. I had to take out the entire "wheel" storage tray to get my wheel and tyre in as the slots for the tray tidy stuck out too much so I couldn't quite get the wheel in, so the wheel is resting on the polystyrene protector for the electrickery boxes - I'll get some thin wood to cover that as an additional protector so it doesn't chafe the polystyrene. Another option would be to gently remove the slots that hold the tray tidy with a craft knife or similar.

IMHO, a spare is the only reasonable option. Yes, tyre foam in its various guises may work, but I KNOW that even a chocolate button spare will get me moving again reasonably quickly (I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty! and I keep a disposable one-piece boiler suit in the back in case I happen to be wearing decent clothes when I get a puncture). When I've got the caravan on the back, I know that the spare will cope OK with that too.

BTW, I went for Pirelli P Zero Rosso's (around 100 GBPounds each I think) and I am very pleased with them.
A new boot liner tray can be purchased from BMW which does not have the tray-tidy slots in it, therefore allowing the space-saver spare wheel to fit nicely in place. I know because I have one. Just a shame the dealer didn't tell me about this when I ordered the spare wheel as I had to go back the next week to pick one up! Cost around ?34 I think after a little discount, which is a little pricey but keeps the boot well looking tidier.

Doogie
Old 02-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

Question

Refer the 5 series manual in the back: in the options- pictures, says clearly the run flat tyres are dangerous in winter and may cause seriuos injury, I dropped the idea having run flat tires in my car.......

Quick Reply: runflats no more (nearly)