E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflats do work

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 03:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

My runflats are not too noisy, but they wear at an incredible rate, will soon need replacing after 10,000 fairly sedate miles. They wear far more quickly than any tyre's on any car I have owned before. Combined with the rubbish fuel consumption ( nowhere near official figures ), this thing eats cash.
Also, what happens if you get a puncture a long way from home?, I had a puncture a couple of weeks ago, had to wait 2 days for a new tyre to be ordered & fitted. It didnt matter then, but what if I was away somewhere?.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='194548' date='Nov 7 2005, 12:13 PM
My runflats are not too noisy, but they wear at an incredible rate, will soon need replacing after 10,000 fairly sedate miles. They wear far more quickly than any tyre's on any car I have owned before. Combined with the rubbish fuel consumption ( nowhere near official figures ), this thing eats cash.
Also, what happens if you get a puncture a long way from home?, I had a puncture a couple of weeks ago, had to wait 2 days for a new tyre to be ordered & fitted. It didnt matter then, but what if I was away somewhere?.
What model do you have? And which tyre?

I have hit 30,000 miles on my Bridgestones and the rears just need replacing now.

My combined mpg is steady at 35.7 and the official figure is 36.2
Old 11-07-2005, 03:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Originally Posted by browellm' post='194549

I have hit 30,000 miles on my Bridgestones and the rears just need replacing now.

[/quote]

525I Se, average low 20s on cross country commute.
Tyres are Dunlop SP Sport 01, 245/40/R18, Just had one replaced , found a good place ?70 cheaper than BMW dealer, near where I work ,( ?155 , BMW wanted ?225 for same tyre ).
The tyre fitter checked the other tyres, all wearing more on inside edge than the rest of the tyre, front & rear. Not too bad now but he said they only had a couple of thousand miles left, they seem to be wearing faster now than when new, maybe a softer compound when they wear down a bit..
Like you, I always got 25000+ miles before, from all cars including BMWs. I can only put this down to the tyre type.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='194551
Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='194548' date='Nov 7 2005, 12:13 PM

525I Se, average low 20s on cross country commute.
Tyres are Dunlop SP Sport 01, 245/40/R18, Just had one replaced , found a good place ?70 cheaper than BMW dealer, near where I work ,( ?155 , BMW wanted ?225 for same tyre ).
The tyre fitter checked the other tyres, all wearing more on inside edge than the rest of the tyre, front & rear. Not too bad now but he said they only had a couple of thousand miles left, they seem to be wearing faster now than when new, maybe a softer compound when they wear down a bit..
Like you, I always got 25000+ miles before, from all cars including BMWs. I can only put this down to the tyre type.
[/quote]

I've recently purchased a 525 running on 17 inch Bridgestone run flats. The car had done 18k miles and the rears were almost down to the tread wear indicators so the dealer put new ones on before I took it off their hands. I reckon the fronts have about another 5 - 8k miles left on them and will be happy if I can see 24k on the clock before changing them. I'll be watching the pressure in rears carefully to maximise the life. (Don't want bald centres with loads left on the edges, which I usually find happens if you run them at exactly the manufacturers recommended pressures - I normally go for a couple of psi lower on the rear and a couple over on the fronts as the majority of the time it's just me in the car).

As for fuel economy, it seems to be averaging about 29mpg's which is about the same as I used to get on my old E39 523. I did read in the owners manual that using less than 98 RON fuel could detrimentally affect the consumption figures, and I always use the cheaper superstore 95 RON fuel. Maybe worth filling up with Super unleaded next time and see if the extra pence per lite pays off?
Old 11-07-2005, 04:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by browellm' post='194545' date='Nov 7 2005, 11:57 AM
Interesting quote from the latest edition of the BMW Magazine (UK edition, page 89):

".....The extra-stiff sidewalls on BMW's Run-flat tyres also enhance the car's driving dynamics. During a recent test session at the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit, a BMW 530d fitted with Run-flat tyres lapped the track 10 seconds faster than a 5 series fitted with conventional tyres. BMW's run-flat technology also aids braking performance."
So why hasn't the M5 got run-flats if they enhance the performance so much!!!!?

I don't think the Nurburgring drive reflects most peoples day-to-day road experiences? (I know BMW drivers has a bad name, but...)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by colejl' post='194581
Interesting quote from the latest edition of the BMW Magazine (UK edition, page 89):

".....The extra-stiff sidewalls on BMW's Run-flat tyres also enhance the car's driving dynamics. During a recent test session at the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit, a BMW 530d fitted with Run-flat tyres lapped the track 10 seconds faster than a 5 series fitted with conventional tyres. BMW's run-flat technology also aids braking performance."

I don't think the Nurburgring drive reflects most peoples day-to-day road experiences? (I know BMW drivers has a bad name, but...)
[/quote]

They do have RFT for M5 here in Hong Kong.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colejl' post='194581

[/quote]

M5 + Runflats = No suspension at all.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='194588
Originally Posted by browellm' post='194545' date='Nov 7 2005, 11:57 AM

[/quote]
Serious???
Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by colejl' post='194657
Serious???
[/quote]

That's what the SA told me.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six

Saw a E90 last week with a blown RUNFLAT tire .....

Quick Reply: Runflats do work