E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflats do work

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bankerboyz' post='194079' date='Nov 6 2005, 02:31 AM
Sometimes I do gripe about the fact that the run flats give the car a harsh ride, but they really do work. A few days ago I was on my way home from the office when my screen lit up to tell me that I have a flat tyre. I pulled off to the side of the road and sure enough there was a nail embedded in one of the tyres. I was on the New York State Thruway and had one exit to go. I drove the bloody car home with no problems, even caught myself going over 60 mph. There was no discernable change in the car's handling that I could detect. So next time I bitch about the harsh ride I will remember that I didnt have to sit on the side of the road in the dark in my suit trying to change a tyre.
If it's a nail causing a slow-leak then non-RFs would probably be just as good... It's the fast or total-loss of pressure where the difference matters...
Old 11-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Contributors

I've no complaints with my Runflats. Before getting the car all I heard (and since!) was complaints about the harsh ride but having experienced them myself for the past 5 months I can honestly say what harsh ride?

The ride seems fine to me and for me they are excellant
Old 11-06-2005, 12:32 AM
BAX
Members

My Ride: ordered 21.10.05; 535d, mystic blau, M sports package, black leather nasca interior, sunroof, Active Steering, Alarm, Comfort Acces, Seat Ventilation, PDC, Xenon with Adaptive Lights, Nav.Proffesional, Head-Up Display, TV function, Hi-Fi Prof., M lip spoiler. previous car: 2001/ 330Ci, topaz blue

I saw a lot, a lot of complaints agains RFT on this forum, but I do not understand don't you all drive fast on the highway? Driving 170-180 km/h can be dangerous speed if you consider having a tyre explosion or something.
Rear tyre can be even saved by Dynamic Stablity Control that may react so promptly not to allow the car to swing, but if this happens to the front tyre, you are totally lost. No steering, no control, no nothing.

So, maybe I haven't had a bad experiance concernig ride comfort with RFT, but security factor is a strong consideration for me. I had a friend, that died together with his wife and 2 out of 3 small children because of tyre explosion on the highway.....
Old 11-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mathmos' post='194158' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:25 AM
I've no complaints with my Runflats. Before getting the car all I heard (and since!) was complaints about the harsh ride but having experienced them myself for the past 5 months I can honestly say what harsh ride?

I thought that too. However, when they wear the ride very quickly gets very harsh and noisy.

What make are on yours?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mathmos' post='194158' date='Nov 6 2005, 11:25 AM

Not sure what setup you have. But you should try the RF's with an 18" 245/40 + Sports suspension.
In the words of the Service manager at my dealer, when he drove my car "this thing is so harsh, it is what l'd expect from a Ferrari"...
he did not mean it in a good way.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Yes, the ride is harsh. I'm hpoing that this will compensate for the (hopefully) lower risk of tyre damage from hitting potholes. Harder sidewall means the rim is less likely to hit the pothole.

With a previous Porsche, which had non-runflat 18" tyres, I had several tyres damaged and a few rims dented.

My biggest concern is the traction. I've got Goodyear NCT 5. They just don't have the same grip that I'd expect from 245 tyres. They might be harder than the rubber I've used before, which might explain it. But I'm, sure the runflats aren't as good over bumps. The tyres seem to leap pver the bump, rather than riding over it.

My usual run home-work-home is the usual UK narrow village lanes. There's one right-left "S" bend. Right at the wrong place on the right curve (more of a wriggle than a curve), there's a bump. So when you go over the bump there is a lateral loading on the tyre. Previous cars just keep going. My E60 wants to step sideways. I'd sure it's the tyres that cause this.

Anyone else with comments on runflats and bumps?

I've had several moments where the DSC has "helped". And mostly when I didn't expect it. Always been the back wheels losing grip, even when lateral loading wansn't excessive. I know the E60 is a big/heavy car, but I really expected it to feel much more "stuck" to the road. So far I've done 15K miles. The sooner I can find a tyre that gives me more confidence the better. Perhaps just something with softer rubber will be fine.

I really ned to find out what alternatives are available in the UK, and see how they compare to the NCTs.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='194335' date='Nov 6 2005, 09:48 PM
Anyone else with comments on runflats and bumps?
I'd agree with the 'stepping' problem... There's a few notable sections that really throw the car at the moment - I'm just about to ditch the RFs so I'll let you know for sure soon!

I was tempted by the Goodyear F1 RF's but I've decided to ditch for Michelin PS2's I have the tyres sitting in my garage ready to be fitted and they look MEAN
Old 11-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='194335' date='Nov 6 2005, 11:48 PM
My biggest concern is the traction. I've got Goodyear NCT 5. They just don't have the same grip that I'd expect from 245 tyres. They might be harder than the rubber I've used before, which might explain it. But I'm, sure the runflats aren't as good over bumps. The tyres seem to leap pver the bump, rather than riding over it.
Couldnt agree with you more! 245 should grip a lot better. DSC light is constantly blinkin' over bumps, tyre flex is non-existent. I have the Bridgestones which are arguably better than the Goodyears and Dunlops and they are still awful. The only good thing about them is the sharp turn-in. Shame on BMW for breaking our backs on second class roads. The new Z4 M doesnt come on Rfs lets hope they starting to see their mistake!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

I don't have run-flats for the harsh ride problem (& tramlining & road noise) - chose not to have them after test drive. I'me sure I've seen a review of the new 3 series that also use runflats (possibly Top Gear) and they stated that BMW had tweaked/modified the suspension to deal with the runflats - stated the ride was fine.

May be that is the problem with the e60 - suspension is not adequately designed to compensate for the runflats. Newer versions may be modified.

I'd be interested in your views..................
Old 11-07-2005, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

Interesting quote from the latest edition of the BMW Magazine (UK edition, page 89):

".....The extra-stiff sidewalls on BMW's Run-flat tyres also enhance the car's driving dynamics. During a recent test session at the legendary Nurburgring Nordschleife circuit, a BMW 530d fitted with Run-flat tyres lapped the track 10 seconds faster than a 5 series fitted with conventional tyres. BMW's run-flat technology also aids braking performance."

Quick Reply: Runflats do work