E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflats do work

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw 5th Gear on TV and they had a great report on blow-outs. Tiff took several regular cars out on a track and he was unable to control the cars at 60mph when either the fron or rear tire blew out.

Then they took a 530i and had him do a lap around the track.
Afterwards they drilled holes in all 4 runflat tires and he took the car around the track again. Although the recommendation is to not exceed 50mph with the tires being flat, he drove it as fast as he could. His top speed was 90-95mph at one point. The car handled just fine and he finished the lap just 15 sec. slower than with the tires normally inflated. No loss of control, to tire coming off the rim. Awsome proof that runflats are worth it.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh ya... i saw that episode last year somtime and I htought of it when people were discussing it earlier but i didnt have a way to edit out that portion of the vid out so didnt bother to make a comment about it.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

runflats are crap, they ruin the ride big time. I would have never got them if I had the option
Old 11-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I don't think the purpose of RF's were ever in doubt! Just the ride quality. So those of you with RF's who is going to carry on regardless with a punctured tyre now we know there is no detrimental effect on the cars handling ability? Why bother shelling out money for a new one when you can drive it flat?
Old 11-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='194028' date='Nov 5 2005, 02:47 PM
Just saw 5th Gear on TV and they had a great report on blow-outs. Tiff took several regular cars out on a track and he was unable to control the cars at 60mph when either the fron or rear tire blew out.

Afterwards they drilled holes in all 4 runflat tires and he took the car around the track again. Although the recommendation is to not exceed 50mph with the tires being flat, he drove it as fast as he could. His top speed was 90-95mph at one point. The car handled just fine and he finished the lap just 15 sec. slower than with the tires normally inflated. No loss of control, to tire coming off the rim. Awsome proof that runflats are worth it.
What channel is Fifth Gear on?
Old 11-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='194069

[/quote]

Speed Channel
Old 11-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Member545' post='194074
Originally Posted by uwsc11' post='194028' date='Nov 5 2005, 02:47 PM

Speed Channel
[/quote]
What time and day of week, I've never ever seen it ...
Old 11-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Members

Sometimes I do gripe about the fact that the run flats give the car a harsh ride, but they really do work. A few days ago I was on my way home from the office when my screen lit up to tell me that I have a flat tyre. I pulled off to the side of the road and sure enough there was a nail embedded in one of the tyres. I was on the New York State Thruway and had one exit to go. I drove the bloody car home with no problems, even caught myself going over 60 mph. There was no discernable change in the car's handling that I could detect. So next time I bitch about the harsh ride I will remember that I didnt have to sit on the side of the road in the dark in my suit trying to change a tyre.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Senior Members

I aIso saw the episode. I completely agree that the RF's are great from a safety point of view.

But l still wont use them again until they get the ride quality issues resolved.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Canada545' post='194077
Originally Posted by stream' post='194069' date='Nov 5 2005, 08:08 PM
[quote name='uwsc11' post='194028' date='Nov 5 2005, 02:47 PM']

Speed Channel
[/quote]
What time and day of week, I've never ever seen it ...
[/quote]
Several times a week. Unfortunately we seem to be 1 year behind from the UK broadcast. But still an entertaining show.

Quick Reply: Runflats do work