E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

runflats

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545I WHITE ON GRAY , SMG, NAV, SPORT PKG, PREM SND, COLD WTHR, STOCK CHROME, TITANIUM TINTS, EURO REFLECTORS, DEBADGED.

if i change my runflats for regular tires while that prevent my wheels from bending and my tires from bubbling cause thats wat happened 2 me
Old 04-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Maybe, maybe not. The runflats have stronger sidewalls so they can sometimes protect your wheels.

The downside is that sometimes they're so stiff that the wheel takes a blow too.

There's really no easy way to say what's best because it really depends on the pothole and how you hit it.

For me, last year my runflats saved my wheel but bubbled. I'm sure if I had non-runflats, I would have had a blown tire and a bent rim...
Old 04-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 3 2005, 08:51 PM
Maybe, maybe not.? The runflats have stronger sidewalls so they can sometimes protect your wheels.?

The downside is that sometimes they're so stiff that the wheel takes a blow too.

There's really no easy way to say what's best because it really depends on the pothole and how you hit it.

For me, last year my runflats saved my wheel but bubbled.? I'm sure if I had non-runflats, I would have had a blown tire and a bent rim...
[snapback]110707[/snapback]
Hi Rudy

What does it mean when a tire bubble? Do u actually see the "bubble" bulging? And what happens when your tire does bubble, does it have to be replaced?

Thx, Im new to this topic, eager to learn from the experienced

Bunbun.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Senior Members

BTW Rudy

Just notice your location, Pittsburgh PA, I went to school at CMU, spent 4 years in Pittsburgh. Go Pirates, Go Steelers, Go Penguins !!! hehe...

Btw, my wife is a Pitt grad.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hey Bunbun, CMU grad eh? You must be one of those smart ones!! Glad to see you still root for our teams -- today is opening day for the Pirates. Were you here recently or was it many years ago?

Anyway, to answer your question, usually when a tire "bubbles," a mound or bulge can be seen in the sidewall. Basically, the sidewall becomes weakened from an impact and the air pressure inside the tire pushes outward on the weak spot creating a bulge.

My bubble wasn't big enough to cause any loss of air pressure, etc. If I didn't have runflats, I would have most likely gotten a new tire right away but since I noticed the bulge just before taking the tires off the car for winter, and since they were runflats, I left them on for a short time and didn't worry too much about a blowout or other major catastrophe. I won't be remounting those tires again so I'm in good shape now...
Old 04-04-2005, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

Rudy,

I took my car to Rahal on Saturday. I thought they had Saturday hours. They did not but the sales guy went ahead and gave me a loaner and took my car in. They said the tires do not appear cupped but they are going to take measurements. Did they replace your run-flats? I think you are right. They seem really on the ball. They are working on my tires and my Bluetooth cradle today. I will post results about the V710 cradle later today. So far no one has been able to make it charge. The T610 cradle has worked fine but not the V710.

P.S.

If they did change out your run-flats what did you go to and how did you get them to change them?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ledbettm' date='Apr 4 2005, 09:01 AM
Rudy,

I took my car to Rahal on Saturday. I thought they had Saturday hours. They did not but the sales guy went ahead and gave me a loaner and took my car in. They said the tires do not appear cupped but they are going to take measurements. Did they replace your run-flats? I think you are right. They seem really on the ball. They are working on my tires and my Bluetooth cradle today. I will post results about the V710 cradle later today. So far no one has been able to make it charge. The T610 cradle has worked fine but not the V710.

P.S.

If they did change out your run-flats what did you go to and how did you get them to change them?

Thanks
[snapback]110879[/snapback]
Although I'm not surprised, I'm glad to see they took good care of you at Rahal. They're building a brand new facility just down the road which will make them even better in the future. Hopefully they'll be able to take care of you in the service department as well. Keep me posted!

As far as my replacement tires, I don't know yet what they're giving me as replacements -- my wheels are still there. I don't have confirmation but I'm assuming they're going to be Dunlops again. I told them to see if they could get Bridgestones as a first choice but I told them I'd settle for Dunlops if BMW insisted on it. If I get Dunlops, it'll be interesting to see what happens in 7000 more miles...
Old 04-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 4 2005, 07:53 AM
Hey Bunbun, CMU grad eh?? You must be one of those smart ones!! ? Glad to see you still root for our teams -- today is opening day for the Pirates.? Were you here recently or was it many years ago?

Anyway, to answer your question, usually when a tire "bubbles," a mound or bulge can be seen in the sidewall.? Basically, the sidewall becomes weakened from an impact and the air pressure inside the tire pushes outward on the weak spot creating a bulge.

My bubble wasn't big enough to cause any loss of air pressure, etc.? If I didn't have runflats, I would have most likely gotten a new tire right away but since I noticed the bulge just before taking the tires off the car for winter, and since they were runflats, I left them on for a short time and didn't worry too much about a blowout or other major catastrophe.? I won't be remounting those tires again so I'm in good shape now...
[snapback]110875[/snapback]
Nah, Im not one of them engineering type Im class of 92 industrial management Lived in Shadyside for a couple of years. Did they eventually open up a Macy's in downtown? That was the last big thing before I left. Not to be too off topic, one of my richie rich classmate back then had an M5 (one before E39), he was the envy of everyone as you could imagine.

Thx for the bubble tip, luckily here in Hong Kong, the roads are pretty well maintained. Not looking forward to see a pregnant runflat...haha

Keep in touch.

Bunbun.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Apr 4 2005, 10:57 AM
Nah, Im not one of them engineering type? ? Im class of 92 industrial management? ? Lived in Shadyside for a couple of years.? Did they eventually open up a Macy's in downtown?? That was the last big thing before I left.? Not to be too off topic, one of my richie rich classmate back then had an M5 (one before E39), he was the envy of everyone as you could imagine.

Thx for the bubble tip, luckily here in Hong Kong, the roads are pretty well maintained.? Not looking forward to see a pregnant runflat...haha

Keep in touch.

Bunbun.
[snapback]110923[/snapback]
'92 grad, so you haven't seen PNC Park or Heinz Field yet. PNC Park is a masterpiece -- you need to come back for a visit and see a game there! We also have a great new convention center (ask JDN, he's been there), some new construction along the North Shore, some new developments on the South Side, etc. I'll bet you wouldn't recognize things if you came back. Oakland is still busy, UPMC is constantly expanding the hospitals and they built a new sports complex (no more Pitt Stadium). CMU added some stuff too. I don't think Shadyside is too different though...

To answer your question, still no Macy's downtown -- there still screwing around trying to figure out what to do with the "Fifth and Forbes" section of town. Lazarus department store (old Horne's) built a brand new building close to that district and they've already vacated it after only a few years. Now, Lazarus (owned by Macy's) is changing their name to Macy's so if they wouldn't have closed, there would now be a Macy's downtown! The suburban malls are still killing the downtown shopping. Lord & Taylor renovated an old bank building across from Mellon Square and Saks Fifth Avenue and they've already closed too. Mayor Murphy is finishing his last year as mayor and isn't running again. Bob O'Connor will likely be the next mayor and hopefully he'll get the city out of the financial mess it's in.

It's still a great place to live -- I'm not going anywhere...
Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 4 2005, 09:04 PM
[quote name='Bunbun' date='Apr 4 2005, 10:57 AM']Nah, Im not one of them engineering type? ?? Im class of 92 industrial management? ?? Lived in Shadyside for a couple of years.? Did they eventually open up a Macy's in downtown?? That was the last big thing before I left.? Not to be too off topic, one of my richie rich classmate back then had an M5 (one before E39), he was the envy of everyone as you could imagine.

Thx for the bubble tip, luckily here in Hong Kong, the roads are pretty well maintained.? Not looking forward to see a pregnant runflat...haha

Keep in touch.

Bunbun.
[snapback]110923[/snapback]
'92 grad, so you haven't seen PNC Park or Heinz Field yet. PNC Park is a masterpiece -- you need to come back for a visit and see a game there! We also have a great new convention center (ask JDN, he's been there), some new construction along the North Shore, some new developments on the South Side, etc. I'll bet you wouldn't recognize things if you came back. Oakland is still busy, UPMC is constantly expanding the hospitals and they built a new sports complex (no more Pitt Stadium). CMU added some stuff too. I don't think Shadyside is too different though...

To answer your question, still no Macy's downtown -- there still screwing around trying to figure out what to do with the "Fifth and Forbes" section of town. Lazarus department store (old Horne's) built a brand new building close to that district and they've already vacated it after only a few years. Now, Lazarus (owned by Macy's) is changing their name to Macy's so if they wouldn't have closed, there would now be a Macy's downtown! The suburban malls are still killing the downtown shopping. Lord & Taylor renovated an old bank building across from Mellon Square and Saks Fifth Avenue and they've already closed too. Mayor Murphy is finishing his last year as mayor and isn't running again. Bob O'Connor will likely be the next mayor and hopefully he'll get the city out of the financial mess it's in.

It's still a great place to live -- I'm not going anywhere...
[snapback]111214[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hey Rudy

Sounds exciting, yeah I've not been back since my graduation. I'll be sure to look you up if I do. And vice versa, if you ever come visit Hong Kong, pls PM me in advance, I'll show you around town.

Btw, remember the Killer Bee's, I happened to bump into Barry Bonds in person at the San Francisco internation airport (he's already playing for the Giants then) and he gave me an autograph on my ticket sleeve....hehe.

Cheers

Bunbun.

Quick Reply: runflats