E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This must be the most posted subject, most from me! I am still writing about them and i dont have em.

Does fraseman hate runflats? well i did hate them......

My new tyres are smoother, quieter, more refined, so why after 600 miles do i hate them.

Well, a few of us including me did not think bmw were being honest when we said that the suspension was set up for runflats. Guys they were telling the truth, at speeds in excess of 80mph it is like driving a lexus(nothing against lexus good cars) no worse than a lexus. The car bounces all over the road.

Now my car has sports suspension, if your car has normal suspension take care. If your car has lowered mtech suspension you might be ok.

As for me, what do i do? i hate runflats so do i need to lower the car with stiffer suspension. Or sell it.

Talking again with the traffic police (highway patrol) since talking to them the last time all there 530d were taken of the road and all normal tyres removed, runflats were put on and mtech lowered suspension fitted. And they say the car is fantastic.

When i asked if they thought the e60 was better than the e39 at handling (before modifications) The guy said the e39 was 10 times better.

Are we going back with the e60s handling rather than forward.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='392237' date='Feb 16 2007, 06:04 PM
This must be the most posted subject, most from me! I am still writing about them and i dont have em.

My new tyres are smoother, quieter, more refined, so why after 600 miles do i hate them.

Well, a few of us including me did not think bmw were being honest when we said that the suspension was set up for runflats. Guys they were telling the truth, at speeds in excess of 80mph it is like driving a lexus(nothing against lexus good cars) no worse than a lexus. The car bounces all over the road.

Now my car has sports suspension, if your car has normal suspension take care. If your car has lowered mtech suspension you might be ok.

As for me, what do i do? i hate runflats so do i need to lower the car with stiffer suspension. Or sell it.

Talking again with the traffic police (highway patrol) since talking to them the last time all there 530d were taken of the road and all normal tyres removed, runflats were put on and mtech lowered suspension fitted. And they say the car is fantastic.

When i asked if they thought the e60 was better than the e39 at handling (before modifications) The guy said the e39 was 10 times better.

Hi

Do you believe that? I think that E60 is 2 times better than E39 compairing standard to standard, plus the advanced electronics for stability (handling) control.
Don't believe words that was told on the road, we here are spend so much money and time on mods, not for whisper lies to each other's ear, but to prove what is true and what is not.

So, yes runflats are offering a more stable feeling when cornering, but that's the one and only advantage on them.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I HATE runflats. It's pure and simple. Getting these tires off your wheels causes damage to the wheels. If you're a perfectionist and like your wheels looking like new, RunFlats will kill you!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='392250' date='Feb 16 2007, 06:54 PM
RunFlats will kill you!
...and the car, if you drive on bad roads with steel tyres, will brake to peaces...

Very controversy:
On shitty roads you need the RF's but can't have them.
On nice and flat roads the RF's are OK but you do not need them :'(
Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='392237' date='Feb 16 2007, 04:04 PM

And there are runflat supporters saying post your honest experiences after changing over to conventional radials.

So, fraseman999, thank you for your initial feedback.

The jury is not unanimous.

ABC
Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='392237' date='Feb 16 2007, 11:04 AM

I've had Dunlop and Bridgestone runflats and prefer Michelin PS2's over them under all conditions. The turn-in is a bit more sluggish, but I can easily trade that for the improvements in ride. The runflats would cause the rear end to skitter all over the road on rough pavement acceleratiing out of a curve. Not so with the PS2's. Perhaps it's your roads or inflation pressure or something else is wrong. There was a problem with rear suspension bushings that was reported previously, could that be what's wrong?

Also, I have an e39 and I don't think it handles anywhere near as well as the e60 with or without runflats.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='392294' date='Feb 16 2007, 06:41 PM
Perhaps it's your roads or inflation pressure or something else is wrong.
Perhaps different people have different experiences.

It's worth logging them all.

ABC
Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='392299' date='Feb 16 2007, 01:52 PM
Perhaps different people have different experiences.

It's worth logging them all.

ABC
Definitely, I am just concerned that there is something else in play here. The differences for most of us who have switched were dramatic in the direction of improvement and I think it makes us wonder why others may have experienced such a totally opposite result. When I read "at speeds in excess of 80mph it is like driving a lexus(nothing against lexus good cars) no worse than a lexus. The car bounces all over the road." a red flag went up because that is far from what I experience on my PS2's. So I simply must question if something else is in play, like inflation or bushings or the roads.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

Lets not forget that not all RFT are created equal.

I get the feeling from reading all over this fine forum that Dunlop & Bridgestone RFT are a
Whereas the Goodyear Eagle tends to get a reasonable

I would stick with my RFT Goodyear for now, maybe future (4th generation) RFT fair better than current generation and then we'd have a reasonable compromise
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Just get regular tires and carry 4 spare wheels/tires of the exact same model in your back seats. This way, if you get more than one flat, you have plenty of new wheels and tires to fix them up. Hahaha!

Quick Reply: Runflats