E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Have you ever noticed any rim bending with RFT's on?
Yes
29.63%
No
70.37%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Runflat tyres as rim protectors against pothole bending

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think, from my experience with RFT's, that this type of tyres are acting as the best rim protectors against pothole bending.

At least, five times passing over deep potholes, i was thought that my rims should have been destroyed (previous 138 style rims with 225/50 R17 Bridgestone Potenza RFT's), but no damages at all. They are in perfect condition and balanced like new.

How many of you guys with RFT's, have had the same experience?

edit: If you ever had any bending with RFT's, please specify your rims style, tyres and size.

Thanks in advance for share in.
Nick
Old 04-27-2006, 02:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not with RFT but with my Michelin PS2 non RFT I now have two right side rims bent due to the same pothole. I have been thinking the same that the RFT with the stiffer sidewall may offer better protection. So much for the smooth ride now with two bent rims.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Senior Members

Yes, imo RFT offer better rim protection, cuz in case of a collision with a pothole, when the tire reaches the edge of the pothole,it doesn't diform so much to allow the concrete edge to reach the rim.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:27 AM
jcp
Members

My Ride: 530i M Sport Touring LCI. Platinum Gray. Beige Dakota leather. Brushed Aluminium trim. Media package. Side blinds. Auto dim mirrors. Comfort seats. Storage compartment pack. Extended interior light package. HUD. DVD prep in rear. IPOD interface.

I think you're right. I've hit some serious potholes on our UK roads (there are plenty) and no damage whatsoever, though I would have expected some.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

Finally, something good to say about runflats!!
Old 04-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

I have hit a few pot holes in the last couple of years. But, there are two occurrences that come to mind. About a year ago, while traveling on Rt.7 in Connecticut, the highway crew decided to shave the highway and leave a 2 inch lip and not post signs. I am doing about 70 mph and of course boom! boom! my perfect balance is gone. Brought to BMW and they told me I have 4 bent rims, but it is not noticeable. But, what I did notice about a month ago, that there appears to be a bubble in my front left rim. So I proceed and purchase 2 new front Dunlop RFs and replace them last week. The tire shop mentioned to me as well that they were bent. This leads to my second occurrence, while drive south on the FDR right before the 71st exit middle lane, another huge pot hole, I nail the two left tires, boom! boom! I get off the exit and notice a bubble on both tires. :'(

So depending on the size of the pothole and speed, will determine rim and tire damage.

I have style 124 rims with DSST Sport01 RFs.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i M Sport Touring (E61): Mystic Blue with Beige Leather and Light Poplar Wood Trim | M Sport Package: Anthracite Headlining, Dechroming, 18" M Spoke Alloy Wheels (135) & RFT's, M Sport Steering Wheel, Sports Seats, M Door Entry Sill Trims, M Sport Suspension Settings, M Aero Bodykit I | Pro NAV | Bluetooth Prep | Xenons | Adapative Headlights | Headlight Washers | HUD | PDC | Automatic Air Con - Advanced | Automatic Tailgate Operation | Heated Front Seats | Sun Protection Glass | Non-Smoker Package |

Originally Posted by A2 BMW' post='274726' date='Apr 27 2006, 02:38 PM
Finally, something good to say about runflats!!
Thank god for something positive on the RF's. I'm awaiting delivery of my new ride (see below) and I quizzed my dealer about the RFT's given all the negative publicity. He gave me a standard BMW sales job on why I should definately have them, so my car will have RFT's. However I was becoming a little dispondant about RFT's given all the negativity in this forum. So at least now I have one positive tick in the 'Yes' box.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

No I haven't
Old 04-27-2006, 06:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Not good news from me. After having the car for one week I hit a pothole on the NJ trnpke and tire got gashed and rim was bent. Dealer said that the runflats actually contributed to the damage because they are so firm that there was no cushion for the impact. $800.00 I have 06 550 sports package with 18's and bridgestone run flats
Old 04-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Note: Differnt car but

I think the runflats saved my rim on the MINI. I hit the same huge pot hole that bent the @*$@ out of Choi000's rims here... but my rims were fine... so were the tires... it hit sooo hard I thought I would have broke the shock itself!

If you run a search you'll see how bad Choi000's wheels are after hitting that pot hole while mines were fine.

Quick Reply: Runflat tyres as rim protectors against pothole bending