E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Runflat puncture warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi All,

I'm soon to receive a second hand ('04) 525d SE in the UK. When I viewed the car it had a run-flat puncture warning on the iDrive display which the trader put down to tyre pressures.

Does this sounds feasible? I don't want to drive it away only to find a tyre is knackered!

Cheers,

Andy
Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Members

Andy - I just bought a 530d, got new wheels and fitted them. I had this same warning. I put extra air in the tyres bringing the PSI to 30 or so, then reset the i-drive. All was well after that. From what it sounds like, the 525d is having the same thing.

Hope that helps

Patrick
Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Do what Patrick said. Pump your tires up to where you want them, then reset the i-Drive. Look in your manual if you don't know how. It's probably not a true flat tire issue...just low.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Members

Thanks for the reply Patrick. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the E60 - how do I reset the iDrive? I'm currently driving an E46 325Ci which doesn't have as many goodies!

I'm probably going to have 101 questions, so I apologise in advance!

Andy
Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Members

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AndyPandy' post='532718' date='Feb 18 2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Patrick. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to the E60 - how do I reset the iDrive? I'm currently driving an E46 325Ci which doesn't have as many goodies!

I'm probably going to have 101 questions, so I apologise in advance!

Andy

Hi mate!!! pump up the tyres then with the engone on and parked up you need to go into the idrive into to main screen press the idrive button down and goto vehicle settings then push up the the top menu and scroll accross to RPA and then down to set tyre. This will take a min then turn car off and it will initialise the pressures. Then in a few days go check the pressures at a petrol station make sure you aint got any loss of pressure just incase.

and if the pressure drops more than 2psi the sensor comes up on the idrive normally giving you a heart attack cos its gonna cost you ?200 for a new tyre.

Good luck!!

David

Leeds UK!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by joss525' post='532741' date='Feb 18 2008, 06:34 PM
Hi mate!!! pump up the tyres then with the engone on and parked up you need to go into the idrive into to main screen press the idrive button down and goto vehicle settings then push up the the top menu and scroll accross to RPA and then down to set tyre. This will take a min then turn car off and it will initialise the pressures. Then in a few days go check the pressures at a petrol station make sure you aint got any loss of pressure just incase.

and if the pressure drops more than 2psi the sensor comes up on the idrive normally giving you a heart attack cos its gonna cost you ?200 for a new tyre.

But the good news is that in my experience, it's almost never a puncture! Just low pressure. These runflats seem to be very hardy (against punctures anyway - not so much for general wear). I have had that message many times over the last four years, but it's never been a puncture. Just pull in at your nearest garage and check the type pressures - if it's not a puncture, just op up the air, reset the system and you are good to go.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

the idrive computer will walk you through the process. it wont let you select it if the car is moving....
Old 02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XD TOURING Luxe, 231HP

Just for info: when I bought my car (used 530Xd 2006) I also ended up with warning. I did reinflate the tires as pressure was low and specially on rear right tire. Did the reset through the i-drive...and few days after it came back with the alarm again...in the middle of the alps with no stealer around. Did drive back to..Paris. I did bring back the car to the dealer complaining i had the 1st alarm just km's after taking the car from them and requested they looked at the tires. It came out the rear right tire was punctured. They changed the tire and gave me excellent rebate yet still did cost me 30% of a new tire... Since then no alarm. So stay alert for few days...and buy a portable pressure check ...and if you drive in Uk keep a 1GBP coin in your car...

I did drive long distance with the damaged tire and it did survive quite well (did Lyon to Paris or 460km!, only re-inflating it once). But the tire was 'warm' at arrival! and I could feel road handling was really becoming poor (so really had to drive slow at the end). So Run flat can really run flat..and will flatten your wallet when you need to change them...

After the replacement of the tire, the handling is far better. Another recommendation: put new tires on the rear and put used one on front wheel. (even on x-drive cars).

Cheers.