E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run-Flats question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone noticed their runflats having flat spots on them on cold mornings? I feel a slight vibration before the tires warm up. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed that. I could also have a wheel out of balance and it just shows up a little more when those stiff sidewalls aren't yet flexible enough to soak up the vibration.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Possible, i also felt smth like that on several ocasions but i can't say it's a rule. You should have the wheels checked. Bottom line is RFs= big time crap.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='517713' date='Jan 14 2008, 03:28 PM
Possible, i also felt smth like that on several ocasions but i can't say it's a rule. You should have the wheels checked. Bottom line is RFs= big time crap.
Hi - picked up my first E60 on friday and have noticed loads of negatives about the run flats on this forum. why is that? I have come from a Jag with 18" tyres and in 2.5 years had 11 punctures - 4 of which resulted in the tyres being scrapped. so the run flat tyres were a big selling point for me - why does everybody hate them?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by brindle' post='517717' date='Jan 14 2008, 10:40 AM
Hi - picked up my first E60 on friday and have noticed loads of negatives about the run flats on this forum. why is that? I have come from a Jag with 18" tyres and in 2.5 years had 11 punctures - 4 of which resulted in the tyres being scrapped. so the run flat tyres were a big selling point for me - why does everybody hate them?
I sounds like you must live next door to a nail factory. In that case, run flats are a must for you!

I have had one tire puncture in the last 15 years, and the tire went flat while the car was parked, so it wasn't a blowout. For me, I just don't think I need the RFs. I have RFs now, and the snow tires I just put on feel amazing compared to the ride of the RFs.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Brindle,

If you have that many punctures, then maybe RFT's are for you.

Those of us with "proper" tyres do so because the ride is so much better, quieter and with no tramlining.
Perhaps you have carpet-smooth roads in Hampshire, with no white lines???
I destroyed a (normal) tyre at high speed in my 330d, in the early hours of the morning, in the Scottish highlands, on my way to an airport check-in.
Yes, I had to change a wheel (in the wet - it was Scotland after all), using the BMW glovebox torch, then suffer 50-odd miles on the space-saver at 50mph, but I would go through all that again because I consider RFT's to affect the ride and handling of my car that badly. BTW, the first inkling I got of the puncture was the DSC light flashing. The car kept straight(-ish) and true, letting me slow down and stop safely. By that time, of course, (only a matter of a few seconds) the tyre was complete scrap, with the tread almost severed from the sidewalls.

Mike
Old 01-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I have runflats on my 550i and to date have had 8 flat tires and 2 cracked rims in 2 years. To be fair, I am having construction done on my house as are several of my neighbors but neither of my other two cars have had so much as a slow leak. Although there is no scientific basis, I am of the opinionn that run flats are more prone to picking up nails and other sharp objects that other tires simply run over without incident. Fortunately, I purchased tire/wheel insurance when I bought the car or I would have shelled out thousands.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='517871' date='Jan 14 2008, 05:02 PM
To be fair, I am having construction done on my house...

Uh.....I dont know how much more science you need, my friend

Old 01-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

To be honest I hate RFTs in the city where I live because I count every chewing gum on the road but everywhere else, especially in this cold winter I prefer to stay safe and not worry about puncture.
I never had a puncture in my life, always only helped friends or other people to change tires.. but you know how Murphy's laws work. You switch to non-RFTs and you may get unlucky
Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

i ordered my car with a spare wheel so i have a future choice. However, after getting a flat on my way home, along 10 miles of dark country road,, i was happy to have them as i could keep on driving.

the cost of standard tyres for the car is around 100ukp. runflats are approx 150ukp. as mine look like they are going to exceed 40k miles, im happy to replace them for convenience and value. if i put 100ukp tyres on and only get 25k out of them, im worse off... (ukp = uk pounds)

steve
Old 01-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='517710' date='Jan 14 2008, 04:25 PM
Has anyone noticed their runflats having flat spots on them on cold mornings? I feel a slight vibration before the tires warm up. I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed that. I could also have a wheel out of balance and it just shows up a little more when those stiff sidewalls aren't yet flexible enough to soak up the vibration.
I get this pretty much all the time too. The fact that I park on cobblestones every night does not help either. It's also not just the runflats - I have had this problem on all the cars I have owned in the last 6 years that have had low profile tyres (one Saab, one E39 and the current car).

Quick Reply: Run-Flats question