E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flat Tyres (groan)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by artc' post='527447' date='Feb 5 2008, 01:30 PM
Having run F1's on a previous (FWD) car I would not reccomend them. In addition to the balance issues, they get extremely noisy after about 10,000 miles as the rubber seems to harden. Steer clear! (excuse the pun).

My curent car runs the Goodyear NCT5 runflats, and as my first car with runfalts I have to say they are OK. Nothing to compare against though. Ride and noise os comparable to an E46 Sport on 17" wheels with non runflats I had before.

Maybe you had some of the dodgy Asain made F1s that were about for a while(Goodyear were warning that they werent made using a compound designed for Europe). Ive used them on Both my T4(200bhp FWD) and the A3 2.0TFSI Quattro(200bhp AWD) and they are absolutely fanatstic, never suffered any reduction in performance although they do get slightly louder after about 6k. If my Mrs hadnt got a job with Conti I would be replacing these NCT5s i have on with F1 assymetrics and not the Sportcontact 3 that will be going on.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

I'm in the minority I'm sure...but I like my runflats and wouldn't change a thing about them. Handling road noise are all very good with my car. I did have a flat last week and almost had to replace the tire...at $440.00 + tax (each :thumbsdown: ) they are overpriced for sure!
Old 02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 XD TOURING Luxe, 231HP

got NCT5 Run flat on 530XD, 17" wheel, and I agree. Not that much noise and decent handling (enough for me to be scare before the car is so good enough for little o me as I do not pretend to be best ever driver....yet could take few in snow and icy road in the alpes anytime :-) .

Got a flat tyre coming back from tarentaise in French alpes, with two kids in the car and drove to lyon (180km) without problem...and back to Paris (another 500kms!) with one stop re-inflating only. So Run Flat are good and safe, and as long as Stereo can play, tyre noise isn't what I am listening to.

Yet agree the bill was a bit too much. So complained to dealer (as they still have not find what make my car have the oil low level constantly on after 28 miles driving (coucou clock) while dipstick says it is full and car run greats anyway) , and say BMW screwing their customer again etc... and got 30% rebate right there. Still expensive after rebate though. Price of safety I think. Would hate to get a flat tyre at 240km/hrs on german motorway...
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I have had my stock RFTs on my car for the summer and bought some Non RFTs for the Winter. I find no problem with the RFTs at all and not big improvement over the non RFTs. When I need to replace the summers I will replace them with RFTs.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 1996 525 M Sport Silver Grey on Beige

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='527723' date='Feb 5 2008, 08:29 PM
I have had my stock RFTs on my car for the summer and bought some Non RFTs for the Winter. I find no problem with the RFTs at all and not big improvement over the non RFTs. When I need to replace the summers I will replace them with RFTs.

How bad "relatively" the run flats are is related to tyre size and road condition. Roads here is Aus are crap and as a result so are run flats. On good freeways and well surfaced roads they are fine but unfortunately many of our roads are not so. I also has MSport suspension and the lower profile tyres which magnify the problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525i - Neptune Blue, M-Style (135) Rims, 18" Michelin Pilots, otherwise completely stock

I have the M-style rims (Style 135 - same as the picture on Scooter's) and Michelin Pilots on my E60. I much prefer the drive to the stock RFT's and it corner's better (probably more to do with the wider profile tires). I'd recommend this any day over the stock RFT's.

Ed
Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Members

I have also m-rims style 135 with good year rft and I will be definitely changeing them for michelin's pilot sport 2. Will this tyres fit without any problems on rims? What about tyre preassure monitor (tpm)? One of my tyre retailer said that I need to buy new tpm sensors for new tyres is that true? From the other side I've heard that car takes info about tyre preassure from, 'circumference' of wheel?
I have e61 '06.

cheers
Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525i - Neptune Blue, M-Style (135) Rims, 18" Michelin Pilots, otherwise completely stock

Originally Posted by mgmbh' post='528039' date='Feb 7 2008, 03:37 AM
I have also m-rims style 135 with good year rft and I will be definitely changeing them for michelin's pilot sport 2. Will this tyres fit without any problems on rims? What about tyre preassure monitor (tpm)? One of my tyre retailer said that I need to buy new tpm sensors for new tyres is that true? From the other side I've heard that car takes info about tyre preassure from, 'circumference' of wheel?
I have e61 '06.

cheers
The tyres fit with no problems at all. I had it installed at the dealer when I bought the rims.

I did not have issues with the tyre pressure monitors either. I just inflated to the desired pressure and then re-set the monitors using the iDrive. Apparently, the monitors are designed to warn of a sudden loss of pressure or if the pressure drops by a significant amount over time. Mind you, I've never had any warnings go off and I do manually check my tyres regularly so it's never been truly tested.

Cheers,

Ed
Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMHKMan' post='528332' date='Feb 7 2008, 07:10 AM
The tyres fit with no problems at all. I had it installed at the dealer when I bought the rims.

I did not have issues with the tyre pressure monitors either. I just inflated to the desired pressure and then re-set the monitors using the iDrive. Apparently, the monitors are designed to warn of a sudden loss of pressure or if the pressure drops by a significant amount over time. Mind you, I've never had any warnings go off and I do manually check my tyres regularly so it's never been truly tested.

Cheers,

Ed
Thanks. So I'm 99% sure that I will change my tires without any problems. But today I've found on hartge.de website "All HARTGE wheel sets can be equipped with Tyre Pressure Control (TPC) and sets of lockable wheel bolts." So what is this TPC?

cheers
Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

my car has the original runflats 225/50/17 NCT5 after 35k miles, and look like they will do 45k - thats why i will use them again. The only thing i dont think is right with them is the tendency to be sensitive to crosswinds. Apart from that i cant see why people dont like them - unless they are less suited to other models in the range - such as msport suspension.

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tyres (groan)