E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flat Tyres (groan)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth
Question

I have read many posts on this forum regarding RFT and moving away from them. Which seems to be the general opinion.

Rang my Goodyear Tyre shop and he said that I have to use Run Flats with the e60.

Why?

Because the rims and suspension are designed for RFT.

So I rang my SA and he gave me a similar story. Are we troglodytes in Australia???

Also, the Goodyear man said that the F1 does not come in run flat form and that I should get the equivalent in a run flat, the "NCT5", is this correct?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

I could be wrong.... but no you don't.
if the car is leased, they may want RFT's on when ur done with it.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 1996 525 M Sport Silver Grey on Beige

Originally Posted by faarcanal' post='526914' date='Feb 4 2008, 01:34 AM
I have read many posts on this forum regarding RFT and moving away from them. Which seems to be the general opinion.

Rang my Goodyear Tyre shop and he said that I have to use Run Flats with the e60.

Why?

Because the rims and suspension are designed for RFT.

So I rang my SA and he gave me a similar story. Are we troglodytes in Australia???

Also, the Goodyear man said that the F1 does not come in run flat form and that I should get the equivalent in a run flat, the "NCT5", is this correct?
It is complete bollocks - get the tyres you want or go to another retailer - just ensure your E60 has the compact spare.

The handling will be fine and the ride far better. There is a lot of miss info out there. So long as your tyres are road worthy your insurance is fine as is your warranty. Infact I have a relative who insisted BMW fit non RFT's on his new E60 and they did out of the dealer. My dealer actually put me onto a friendly tyre retailer to sort me out with non RFT's and he said he had changed a lot of E60's over.

Bridgestone will not sell a non RFT (in Aus) but that is just their policy as they want to sell the over priced RFT RE050A's - which will shake your teeth out.

With regard to the F1 I have been told that while good tyres their extreme asymetrical pattern can create balance problems as they wear and they are not highly recommended on the E60.

Go to an independant i.e. Bob Jane/Tyrepower/B-repairs etc.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've heard you folks below the equator have some strange things going on down there like how water spirals down the drain the opposite way than it does above the equator but as far as E60 runflats are concerned, I don't think there's any black magic going on...

You can put any tire you want on the car -- the rims are normal and will accomodate whatever style tyre you want to use. I can understand a clueless BMW dealer giving you bad information but I'm sort of surprised that a Goodyear dealer would be so stupid...
Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Yup, we are weird mob!

Thanks Rudy and Scooter, advice noted.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by faarcanal' post='526914' date='Feb 4 2008, 06:34 AM
Why?

Because runflat tyres are more expensive
Old 02-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='526986' date='Feb 4 2008, 06:11 AM
Because runflat tyres are more expensive
It's an absolute shame that the profesionals are so full of sh**.

According to BMW you don't need a spare even if you don't have run flats!!!! My old E46 M3 had NON run flats and NO spare.

The run flats my E60 came with are so bad the next time they go back on my car will be the day I trade it!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics are available in runflat. The NCT5 runflat is an energy efficient tyre(low rolling resistance) and Goodyear themselves only give it 3 out of 5 for both wet and dry grip.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='526931' date='Feb 4 2008, 01:16 AM
I've heard you folks below the equator have some strange things going on down there like how water spirals down the drain the opposite way than it does above the equator but as far as E60 runflats are concerned, I don't think there's any black magic going on...

You can put any tire you want on the car -- the rims are normal and will accomodate whatever style tyre you want to use. I can understand a clueless BMW dealer giving you bad information but I'm sort of surprised that a Goodyear dealer would be so stupid...
Neither the dealer nor the tire retailer are stupid, they are just greedy
Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='527024' date='Feb 4 2008, 02:20 PM
Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics are available in runflat. The NCT5 runflat is an energy efficient tyre(low rolling resistance) and Goodyear themselves only give it 3 out of 5 for both wet and dry grip.
Having run F1's on a previous (FWD) car I would not reccomend them. In addition to the balance issues, they get extremely noisy after about 10,000 miles as the rubber seems to harden. Steer clear! (excuse the pun).

My curent car runs the Goodyear NCT5 runflats, and as my first car with runfalts I have to say they are OK. Nothing to compare against though. Ride and noise os comparable to an E46 Sport on 17" wheels with non runflats I had before.

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tyres (groan)