E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Are Run Flat Tires the future?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

BMW obviousely feels RF's are the future, whether this thinking is motivated by saving money or weight or just building a safer car I'll never know, but the industry seems to jumping on the band wagon.

I believe that tire price will drop once demand has risen and all major manufactures are producng RF tires, the advantages are a plus, after all who wants to get stuck. I believe Michelin and Pirrelli are both offering RF and their customers demand quality high preformance tires, which I also want, tires that will last at least 20,000 miles and give me a compfortable ride and handle well in both wet and dry .

My 545 had issues, the dunlop RF were horrible, when brand new the car drove and felt fine, but after only a few thousand miles the ride would deteriate and I began to hate the car, especially after having to change tires 4 times in 18 months and 25,000 miles. Maybe the car was off or maybe it was the dunlops but I hated the car. My 07 550 has been great so far even though I have only driven 6000 miles it appears that I won't have the same issues as before.

So what's it going to be Run Flats or no Run Flats that is the question??????????????????
Old 10-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jochet' post='345245' date='Oct 15 2006, 07:46 PM
BMW obviousely feels RF's are the future, whether this thinking is motivated by saving money or weight or just building a safer car I'll never know, but the industry seems to jumping on the band wagon.
How would runflats save money? or weight? I'm gussing BMW chose them because of the safety it adds to buyers.

I see only 1 benefit for RFTs... safety and thats it. Costs more to replace... harsher ride... adds rolling weight to the wheels... worsen MPGs...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='345250' date='Oct 15 2006, 10:04 PM
How would runflats save money? or weight? I'm gussing BMW chose them because of the safety it adds to buyers.

I see only 1 benefit for RFTs... safety and thats it. Costs more to replace... harsher ride... adds rolling weight to the wheels... worsen MPGs...
They save money and weight because BMW doesnt have to supply a full size spare with a 5th rim.

My wifes non run flat 03 325xi has a full size tire and premium rim combo in the trunk that perfectly matches whats on the axles.

Thats a lot of extra weight and costs them alot too.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

You should be just like me and have no spare at the back to save wight and cost.
Just call Tow Matter out to tow and fix it cheeper that way. only $44us each time but for a spare in HK cost is
$380us too much for a spare
Old 10-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

non runflats- better ride; lower cost; better performance...afterall, BMW did put that SOS button in there for a reason. Besides, not to start a new topic or anything but how many people have experienced a blowout? Ive been driving for 19 years and have not had one!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='345372' date='Oct 16 2006, 10:46 PM
non runflats- better ride; lower cost; better performance...afterall, BMW did put that SOS button in there for a reason. Besides, not to start a new topic or anything but how many people have experienced a blowout? Ive been driving for 19 years and have not had one!
OK I will start the new topic of the How many blowout experienced do you have in your life so far?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='345372' date='Oct 16 2006, 10:46 AM
Go to the other post about blow outs.
cheers
vern
Old 10-16-2006, 09:05 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

The safety aspect of RFT's is that catastrophic loss of pressure is much less likely. Also a slow puncture or other loss of air will have much less effect on the handling of the car.

IMHO yes they may well be the future, but they are not there yet.

First they need.
1. Better ride comfort, handling and stabilty.
2. Much longer life when deflated, 20-50 miles is clearly insufficient and likely to leave you stranded.
3. Better absorbtion of road impacts, rather than transmitting it all to the rims with consequent damage.

It might yet prove beyond current technology to meet all these demands, remember, we have been hear before.

Who else remembers Dunlops 'Denovo' run flat system back in the 1970/80's.
That was touted as the future for all car tyres, but it died a death.

Manufacturers acn fit RFT's as OEM all they like, but if they are unpopular with customers, the replacement market will sound thier death knell.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Veight' post='345368' date='Oct 16 2006, 07:26 AM
They save money and weight because BMW doesnt have to supply a full size spare with a 5th rim.

My wifes non run flat 03 325xi has a full size tire and premium rim combo in the trunk that perfectly matches whats on the axles.

Thats a lot of extra weight and costs them alot too.
I guess that might save them some money... runflats are about $100 more per tire than their counterpart. So the original rim + tire will need to be less than $400 in order to save money. But weight I think not. its worse to have added rolling weight than it is to have carrying weight.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My plan is changing to Yokohama for better road noise when current tires wear out. I don't like runflat. It's too noisy and harsh.
Also, Yokohama is about 8 lbs lighter compared to B.Potenza RFT.
By changing 4 tires, we shave off 32 lbs right there. This is one of Znod's favorite mod to reduce weight

Quick Reply: Are Run Flat Tires the future?