E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Jet Black 2005 BMW 530. Premium/Sports Package, Black Leather, Chrome Star Spoke alloy wheels, Automatic Transmission, Adaptive Xenon Headlights...

Hey guys. Is it really true that run flat tires could not be patched? My BMW service advisor recomended that I replace the tire because it has a nail on it, and it is unsafe to drive around on patched run flat tires. He also said that a new RFT will cause about $450.00. I need your advise and opinion please.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Members

I asked a couple of tyre shops and they both said that they can be repaired providing that the puncture is not in or near the sidewall (thats the same for conventional tyres!) and that the car hasn't been driven too far with the tyre completely flat.
The TPM will let you know a long time before the tyre is completely flat.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by daven' post='506649' date='Dec 14 2007, 06:19 PM
I asked a couple of tyre shops and they both said that they can be repaired providing that the puncture is not in or near the sidewall (thats the same for conventional tyres!) and that the car hasn't been driven too far with the tyre completely flat.
The TPM will let you know a long time before the tyre is completely flat.
Tyre shops are correct.
I repaired already for almost 3 months which haven't any problems. Absolutely can repair and no need to buy a new one.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Senior Members

I researched this quite thoroughly when I wrote an article on RF tires two years ago.

If the tire hasn?t been used (driven on) when it?s uninflated , i.e. in the case of a slow leak that didn?t take it down close to 0 psi, and the area impacted it not close to the edge, someone who is trained in RF tires (and tire makers do training in this area) should be able to determine if it can be repaired.

If you drove on it with little or on inflation, it should not be repaired.

Regardless, if you have it repaired it should be patched and plugged (the most expensive type of repair, where both modalities are applied) and on the opposite end of the spectrum NEVER merely plugged.

I would also suggest road hazard insurance. One can purchase this from theautoclub.com for $2.50 per month for decent coverage although you wil be partially self-insuring but the low premium makes up for it.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

When I got a nail in my run-flats (which I don't use anymore), I took it to one shop and they wouldn't patch it. Should you get into an accident and it can be blamed on the patched tire (don't ask me how), they can be liable. When I called my BMW dealership, they said the same thing. They wouldn't repair it. That's the price you pay for a run-flat, although it seems kind of stupid. After dishing out $350 for a new tire, I decided that was it and after one month with the new tire, I ditched all 4 for regular tires (they actually became my snow wheels and tires).

Don't spend $400 on a new tire. Instead, ditch the run-flats and get yourself some regular tires that can be patched and will cost you a little over $400, but for all 4 tires.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Yes, they can be patched. As others have noted, the puncture must be towards the center of the tread so that it did not damage the hard plastic liner which supports the tire when pressure is lost. My wife recently had this done on her X5, it was a slow leak caused by a nail in the center of the tread. My BMW dealer did fix it without question.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: Jet Black 2005 BMW 530. Premium/Sports Package, Black Leather, Chrome Star Spoke alloy wheels, Automatic Transmission, Adaptive Xenon Headlights...

Thanks guys.. I'm gonna go ahead and buy a set of non run flats, after all my 05 has a spare in the trunk. The tire shop that I went to would not patch my RFT because the inner sidewall was warped already.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

discount tire direct ..is matching prices, plus free shipping, plus when you take the tires into a discount or americas tire they mount them for free cause you bought thru them. You might have to pay disposal and valve stems etc..Im going with the Kumho Ecsta SPT to replace the RFT's
Old 12-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Members

thanks for the info...
Old 12-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Throw away the runflats, get proper tyres and you will experience the car that Herr BMW designed. I'm sure you will like it.

FWIW, in the UK, a lot of tyre shops and all Dealers refuse to repair RFT's. It is something to do with type approval and if a failure occurs. If we shop around, it can be done.

Mike

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tires