E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

From run-flat to standard tires...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i

When my tires wear out, I am planning to put regular tires on my style 124s. What do I need to do? Do I need new tire monitoring systems? Do I need to add some sort of equipment?

The reason for this is, it is harder to find tire repair shops that can fix run-flats. They are also more expensive than regular tires.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Good choice on switching to regular tires. BTW I'd not even wait for the RFTs to wear out - RFTs have been noted to cause rims to crack - specifically, the 124s, actually - and generally are too stiff, which can lead to early wear on rubber parts of your suspension.

1. Get a spare if you don't have one

2. If you have TPMS, you just need to tell the shop that will be mounting the tires to use your existing TPMS sensors.

3. If you have the FTM system, you don't have to do anything unless it shows you have a flat after the install. If it does, just press "Reset FTM system" - it will be right on your screen if it shows a flat tire.

4. Check your tire pressure regularly.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

Originally Posted by CA_turbo' post='963428' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:09 AM
When my tires wear out, I am planning to put regular tires on my style 124s. What do I need to do? Do I need new tire monitoring systems? Do I need to add some sort of equipment?

The reason for this is, it is harder to find tire repair shops that can fix run-flats. They are also more expensive than regular tires.
I just hit a pothole 2 days ago, it resulted in a 2" gash on the sidewall of my tire. I also have Runflats. I havent replaced it yet but i've been checking prices and they are about $350 each for the front. I am also considering changing to regular tires when they were out. But for now, i just have to bite bullet and buy another runflat since all the other tires are nearly new.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='963568' date='Aug 3 2009, 01:50 AM
Good choice on switching to regular tires. BTW I'd not even wait for the RFTs to wear out - RFTs have been noted to cause rims to crack - specifically, the 124s, actually - and generally are too stiff, which can lead to early wear on rubber parts of your suspension.

1. Get a spare if you don't have one

2. If you have TPMS, you just need to tell the shop that will be mounting the tires to use your existing TPMS sensors.

3. If you have the FTM system, you don't have to do anything unless it shows you have a flat after the install. If it does, just press "Reset FTM system" - it will be right on your screen if it shows a flat tire.

4. Check your tire pressure regularly.
You forgot one thing for the OP

ENJOY!!!!!! You're going to like your car a lot better
Old 08-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Contributors

I hate my run-flats. I'm getting new tires on Wednesday Since a lot of people on the forums liked the General Exclaim as a good non-expensive replacement, I decided to go with those.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='964140' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:11 PM
+1

Just buy a new set of non-RF Michelin PS's on your current wheels.
Have them balanced accurately!

And don't forget to reset the I Drive after installation.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='964140' date='Aug 3 2009, 04:11 PM
You forgot one thing for the OP

I have RFT, and actually recently got 2 new tires. I don't love the way my car drives and I think it is the tires. There is a decent amount of road noise and the ride is a bit rough (at least in comparison to the 5 series loaner I have right now). Are these common characteristics of run flat tires?

What specifically makes the car "a lot better" after getting rid of run flats? What are the differences in the car's driving dynamics/driving experience?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

My car has a spare. If yours does not, then I suggest looking into the Continental ComfortKit. We are carrying one in the 325i, which does not have space for a spare.

There are numerous threads on regular tires vs RFT, which you should look up and read.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

ANY ONE BUYING A RUNFLAT, STOP NOW AND SPEND YOUR MONEY WISER!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jherm' post='964178' date='Aug 3 2009, 04:39 PM
I have RFT, and actually recently got 2 new tires. I don't love the way my car drives and I think it is the tires. There is a decent amount of road noise and the ride is a bit rough (at least in comparison to the 5 series loaner I have right now). Are these common characteristics of run flat tires?

What specifically makes the car "a lot better" after getting rid of run flats? What are the differences in the car's driving dynamics/driving experience?
Well with regular tires you can attain warp speed and travel through time with doc... Well maybe not...

To clarify a bit my car has the sport pkg and associated staggered tire set up. The OEM run flats are Dunlop SP 01 and where replaced when I bought the car as a CPO 2 years ago.

When I first started driving the car on the highway I thought there was something wrong with it. It tramlined horribly. When I changed lanes at speed it would dive to one side or the other, very unnerving and felt nothing like my prior BMW's (my 545i is my 4th). When cornering they felt slick and easy to lose traction when going around corners. The run flat tires are heavy and the sidewalls are very stiff, the car rode hard. The car just felt very awkward, didn't like changing directions, rough riding, noisy. I honestly was considering dumping the car because I just wasn't happy with it.

When I switched to regular Michelin tires it felt like a different car. Stable on the highway at any speed (I dare to go anyway). Changes lanes smoothly, no tramlining or diving into the next lane. Much better traction, smoother ride, better handling and quieter on rough roads (which is about 1/3 of all roads where I live). I love the way my car drives now. Awesome car with proper tires.

I also swapped to lighter forged wheels when I changed tires so I removed a lot of unsprung weight however the weight reduction affects the suspension and acceleration more than traction and ride quality.

The newer model run flat tires are improved and I think the difference in performance between a RFT and Non RFT increases with tire size. I have driven brand new 525xi's with RFT's as loaners and they felt OK to me but I was just commuting. The sport package RFT tires on my car were horrible, they are in my garage attic ready to go back on the car day I trade it.

Quick Reply: From run-flat to standard tires...