E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flat or no run flat

Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 AM
  #1  
Members
Thread Starter
 
pskj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16
Default

Need your opinions guys (and gals)...
I got the stock 19" with run flat.
The tires sure let me know about every little bump on the road.
I was told that run flats usually ride tougher because of the extra reinforcement.
It's a trade off between comfort vs protection.
I'm okay with it (otherwise I wouldn't of pick the sport package) but want to poll your folks about switching to a 20" non-run flat tires.
How's the ride?
Thanks.
pskj is offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
  #2  
Contributors
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 952
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport
Default

Search the board. This topic has been beaten to death here. My opinion: runflats ride like wooden wheels compared to standard Z rated tires.
gwf545 is offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 10:11 AM
  #3  
Vendor
 
info@trinityautosport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 19,462
My Ride: F13 M6
Default

like many, non RFTs all the way in my opinion. with 20's, the ride quality wouldnt suffer too much
info@trinityautosport is offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
  #4  
Members
 
MattO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27
My Ride: Carbon Black 535d Sport. Black Dakota leather, Media and visibility pack with adaptive Xenons. Hi-fi, servotronic, grad tint screen etc etc
Default

pskj,

I went 18" with runflat to 19" with non-runflat about 4 days ago. There is no comparison. Normal tyres every time. The ride, the poise and the handling is much improved with normal tyres.

Matt
MattO is offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
  #5  
Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 125
Default

Originally Posted by MattO' post='435362' date='Jun 13 2007, 01:21 PM
pskj,

I went 18" with runflat to 19" with non-runflat about 4 days ago. There is no comparison. Normal tyres every time. The ride, the poise and the handling is much improved with normal tyres.

Matt
I test drove a 535xi Sport with 18" run flats last weekend and found the tires a bit noisy and the ride a bit harsh. If I change to run flats, what manufacturer is best (and what size). Also, what do I do for a spare? Is there room in the trunk under the floor for storage? Perhaps this is the answer to how to improve the ride on the xi (which seems to be harsher than I'd like).


grover
grover432 is offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
  #6  
KAF
Contributors
 
KAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire UK
Posts: 1,260
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Default

Originally Posted by grover432' post='435379' date='Jun 13 2007, 07:50 PM
I test drove a 535xi Sport with 18" run flats last weekend and found the tires a bit noisy and the ride a bit harsh. If I change to run flats, what manufacturer is best (and what size). Also, what do I do for a spare? Is there room in the trunk under the floor for storage? Perhaps this is the answer to how to improve the ride on the xi (which seems to be harsher than I'd like).
grover
Personal view is to go to Michelin PS2's.

You will need a space saver spare which you can order from your dealer, this will fit in the trunk if you take out the foam insert.

Spare comes with jack and wheel brace.

IMO it is the best mod you can make to an E60.
KAF is offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 11:22 AM
  #7  
JDN
Contributors
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Posts: 4,144
Default

Originally Posted by pskj' post='435317' date='Jun 13 2007, 11:32 AM
Need your opinions guys (and gals)...
I got the stock 19" with run flat.
The tires sure let me know about every little bump on the road.
I was told that run flats usually ride tougher because of the extra reinforcement.
It's a trade off between comfort vs protection.
I'm okay with it (otherwise I wouldn't of pick the sport package) but want to poll your folks about switching to a 20" non-run flat tires.
How's the ride?
Thanks.
I've decided it's personal preference and stuck with run flats. Trade off is more car control for a little stiffer ride which is why most order the sport package to begin with.
JDN is offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 AM
  #8  
Members
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 125
Default

Originally Posted by JDN' post='435393' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:22 PM
I've decided it's personal preference and stuck with run flats. Trade off is more car control for a little stiffer ride which is why most order the sport package to begin with.
"trade off is more car control ..."

Are you saying the run flats provide more control or the sport suspension provides more control? Most of what I have read says the run flats provide an extra margin of safety in the event of a puncture when compared to non run flats. Certainly a stiffer sidewall will resist sidewall deflection in a turn, providing more response, but I am assuming many non RF tires have similar characteristics without the harsh riding sidewall? Too stiff a sidewayy can lead to the tire "skiping" a bit over road imperfections, resulting in poorer handling ... no?

My concern is with the xi. I'd like to order one, but am concerned the ride is a bit too harsh for me. There is nothing that can be done regarding optional suspensions for the xi (it only comes one way), hence my question about installing non RF's and the effect it may have on ride quality. If it improves it, then I'll buy one, if not, then I'd consider a 550 which has 19" non RF's.

Can anyone comment on improvement in ride quality going to non RF's and how handling was affected?

Matto, can you comment on the changes you noticed after switching?

Thanks,

grover
grover432 is offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 02:14 PM
  #9  
JDN
Contributors
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dallas, TX USA
Posts: 4,144
Default

Originally Posted by grover432' post='435398' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:34 PM
"trade off is more car control ..."

Are you saying the run flats provide more control or the sport suspension provides more control? Most of what I have read says the run flats provide an extra margin of safety in the event of a puncture when compared to non run flats. Certainly a stiffer sidewall will resist sidewall deflection in a turn, providing more response, but I am assuming many non RF tires have similar characteristics without the harsh riding sidewall? Too stiff a sidewayy can lead to the tire "skiping" a bit over road imperfections, resulting in poorer handling ... no?

Thanks,

grover
Possibly, I can't say, but a stiffer sidewall should reduce sway under normal conditions compared to a non-runflat, IMO. That would be especially true for those original tires that were produced by Dunlop specifically for the E60 and designated by the STAR.
JDN is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Zimo
E60 Discussion
13
04-11-2018 08:25 PM
BrandonSS
Tires & Wheels
4
09-03-2015 07:09 PM
zukgod1
E60 Discussion
3
07-14-2015 10:19 PM
JWMich
E60 Discussion
0
07-07-2015 06:13 AM
shervinj
E60 Discussion
0
07-02-2015 07:29 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Run flat or no run flat


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.