5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Run flat or no run flat (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/run-flat-no-run-flat-41268/)

pskj 06-13-2007 08:32 AM

Need your opinions guys (and gals)... :D
I got the stock 19" with run flat.
The tires sure let me know about every little bump on the road.
I was told that run flats usually ride tougher because of the extra reinforcement.
It's a trade off between comfort vs protection. :(
I'm okay with it (otherwise I wouldn't of pick the sport package) but want to poll your folks about switching to a 20" non-run flat tires.
How's the ride? :huh:
Thanks.

gwf545 06-13-2007 09:57 AM

Search the board. This topic has been beaten to death here. My opinion: runflats ride like wooden wheels compared to standard Z rated tires.

info@trinityautosport 06-13-2007 10:11 AM

like many, non RFTs all the way in my opinion. with 20's, the ride quality wouldnt suffer too much :thumbsup:

MattO 06-13-2007 10:21 AM

pskj,

I went 18" with runflat to 19" with non-runflat about 4 days ago. There is no comparison. Normal tyres every time. The ride, the poise and the handling is much improved with normal tyres. :)

Matt

grover432 06-13-2007 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by MattO' post='435362' date='Jun 13 2007, 01:21 PM
pskj,

I went 18" with runflat to 19" with non-runflat about 4 days ago. There is no comparison. Normal tyres every time. The ride, the poise and the handling is much improved with normal tyres. :)

Matt

I test drove a 535xi Sport with 18" run flats last weekend and found the tires a bit noisy and the ride a bit harsh. If I change to run flats, what manufacturer is best (and what size). Also, what do I do for a spare? Is there room in the trunk under the floor for storage? Perhaps this is the answer to how to improve the ride on the xi (which seems to be harsher than I'd like).

grover

KAF 06-13-2007 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by grover432' post='435379' date='Jun 13 2007, 07:50 PM
I test drove a 535xi Sport with 18" run flats last weekend and found the tires a bit noisy and the ride a bit harsh. If I change to run flats, what manufacturer is best (and what size). Also, what do I do for a spare? Is there room in the trunk under the floor for storage? Perhaps this is the answer to how to improve the ride on the xi (which seems to be harsher than I'd like).
grover

Personal view is to go to Michelin PS2's.

You will need a space saver spare which you can order from your dealer, this will fit in the trunk if you take out the foam insert.

Spare comes with jack and wheel brace.

IMO it is the best mod you can make to an E60.

JDN 06-13-2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pskj' post='435317' date='Jun 13 2007, 11:32 AM
Need your opinions guys (and gals)... :D
I got the stock 19" with run flat.
The tires sure let me know about every little bump on the road.
I was told that run flats usually ride tougher because of the extra reinforcement.
It's a trade off between comfort vs protection. :(
I'm okay with it (otherwise I wouldn't of pick the sport package) but want to poll your folks about switching to a 20" non-run flat tires.
How's the ride? :huh:
Thanks.

I've decided it's personal preference and stuck with run flats. Trade off is more car control for a little stiffer ride which is why most order the sport package to begin with.

grover432 06-13-2007 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by JDN' post='435393' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:22 PM
I've decided it's personal preference and stuck with run flats. Trade off is more car control for a little stiffer ride which is why most order the sport package to begin with.

"trade off is more car control ..."

Are you saying the run flats provide more control or the sport suspension provides more control? Most of what I have read says the run flats provide an extra margin of safety in the event of a puncture when compared to non run flats. Certainly a stiffer sidewall will resist sidewall deflection in a turn, providing more response, but I am assuming many non RF tires have similar characteristics without the harsh riding sidewall? Too stiff a sidewayy can lead to the tire "skiping" a bit over road imperfections, resulting in poorer handling ... no?

My concern is with the xi. I'd like to order one, but am concerned the ride is a bit too harsh for me. There is nothing that can be done regarding optional suspensions for the xi (it only comes one way), hence my question about installing non RF's and the effect it may have on ride quality. If it improves it, then I'll buy one, if not, then I'd consider a 550 which has 19" non RF's.

Can anyone comment on improvement in ride quality going to non RF's and how handling was affected?

Matto, can you comment on the changes you noticed after switching?

Thanks,

grover

JDN 06-13-2007 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by grover432' post='435398' date='Jun 13 2007, 02:34 PM
"trade off is more car control ..."

Are you saying the run flats provide more control or the sport suspension provides more control? Most of what I have read says the run flats provide an extra margin of safety in the event of a puncture when compared to non run flats. Certainly a stiffer sidewall will resist sidewall deflection in a turn, providing more response, but I am assuming many non RF tires have similar characteristics without the harsh riding sidewall? Too stiff a sidewayy can lead to the tire "skiping" a bit over road imperfections, resulting in poorer handling ... no?

Thanks,

grover

Possibly, I can't say, but a stiffer sidewall should reduce sway under normal conditions compared to a non-runflat, IMO. That would be especially true for those original tires that were produced by Dunlop specifically for the E60 and designated by the STAR.