E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RPA pressure warning won't reset!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

My puncture warning starting bonging at me (again) today. I have a slow puncture and have arranged to get the tyre replaced next week, so have been topping up the air when it starts to complain.

Today I topped up the air, went in to reset the RPA, but having completed the procedure it still says I have a puncture?! Usually the status would change to initializing.

Any ideas?

Andy
Old 03-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by AndyPandy' post='548040' date='Mar 20 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi All,

My puncture warning starting bonging at me (again) today. I have a slow puncture and have arranged to get the tyre replaced next week, so have been topping up the air when it starts to complain.

Today I topped up the air, went in to reset the RPA, but having completed the procedure it still says I have a puncture?! Usually the status would change to initializing.

Any ideas?

Andy
Assuming that RPA also means FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) make sure that you set it when the car is still (not driving) then drive the car above 40 mph and a mile or two; it'll then recalibrate the wheel rpms. I currently have the same problem with one of my tires and have been resetting it daily.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

When you have a slow leak and put air back in the tire, there should be no need to reset anything. Resetting is only needed when you decide to run with different pressures since the last reset (or you change wheels/tires...)

In other words, if the system is initialized while each tire is at 35psi (as an example), when one tire goes down due to a leak, you only need to put air back in that tire. The system will still be calibrated at 35psi all around so there is no need to do any resetting...
Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='548092' date='Mar 20 2008, 11:38 AM
When you have a slow leak and put air back in the tire, there should be no need to reset anything. Resetting is only needed when you decide to run with different pressures since the last reset (or you change wheels/tires...)

In other words, if the system is initialized while each tire is at 35psi (as an example), when one tire goes down due to a leak, you only need to put air back in that tire. The system will still be calibrated at 35psi all around so there is no need to do any resetting...
That's correct, but in my situation it's been the FTM warning me that I've got a leak issue. And, without that warning (I've got Run Flats) it might not have noticed the leaking tire for sometime. At least I know that the system works as designed.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bradleyjs' post='548084
That's correct, but in my situation it's been the FTM warning me that I've got a leak issue. And, without that warning (I've got Run Flats) it might not have noticed the leaking tire for sometime. At least I know that the system works as designed.
Right, but when you mentioned that you were resetting it daily, I assumed you were resetting it daily. You simply don't need to do this each time you fill a tire that's low...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='548108' date='Mar 20 2008, 12:02 PM
Right, but when you mentioned that you were resetting it daily, I assumed you were resetting it daily. You simply don't need to do this each time you fill a tire that's low...
Roger that. Sorry about the confusion.

However, I took it to the dealer yesterday to get replaced, but, they won't have a tire replacement until Monday; so in the meantime.. I'm keeping it inflated.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Members

Sorry; to clarify....

The car is telling me I have a puncture, when I fill the tyre back up with air the error doesn't go away, and the stealer says to initialize it as I mentioned earlier. My car doesn't have the pressure monitors, it monitors the tyre by the wheels' RPM, measured using the ABS sensors I believe. If one is travelling alot faster than the others, it alarms.

Either way, I left the car for a couple of hours, went back and tried again and it worked! No clue why it was refusing to initialize before as I did everything correctly (car at a standstill, ignition on etc.)

How would one go about rebooting a car....????

Andy
Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AndyPandy' post='548146' date='Mar 20 2008, 01:13 PM
How would one go about rebooting a car....????

Andy
Do you have navigation?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=9488
Old 03-21-2008, 02:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='548325' date='Mar 20 2008, 05:11 PM
Sadly not, perhaps the only option is to disconnect the battery for a short while.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AndyPandy' post='548553' date='Mar 21 2008, 06:55 AM
Sadly not, perhaps the only option is to disconnect the battery for a short while.
See page 87, this explains how to reset the RPA - http://www.e60.net/information/2006_..._Manual_UK.pdf