E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rough Start 2008 535

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08
Smile

I started my car today and it ran rough and the engine malfunction light went on.

I turn it off and then restarted it and everything seems fine. No check engine or warning.

I spoke to the service department and they said without a code/check engine light they really cannot do anything.

The car was made in 2/2008 so it would seem a prime candidate for the fuel pump issue. It has 8,000 miles on it.

I really hate the idea of just driving it and waiting for a major failure, what should I do?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Did you call or drove in? Its better if you are there in person. If that doesn't work go to another dealership.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='924785' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:46 PM
Did you call or drove in? Its better if you are there in person. If that doesn't work go to another dealership.
I called the dealership and service has been good over the years, I don't think BMW will authorize service without a fault code.

If it happens again I will just let the engine run that way it will trigger a code.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Why not take it in?

I've had 4 replaced in 16K....
It takes like 2-3 hours tops, even with the dreaded software up load from the new systems.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='924817' date='Jun 26 2009, 01:21 PM
Why not take it in?

I've had 4 replaced in 16K....
It takes like 2-3 hours tops, even with the dreaded software up load from the new systems.
1)I thought they changed the design so that you should only need this fixed once?

2) I will take in about a week they need to replace a part that is on back order.

3) What symptoms did you have related to the failures?

4) The car has always run great no lag or anything, not sure I want them to mess with it.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Originally Posted by V70Cat' post='924899' date='Jun 26 2009, 01:42 PM
1)I thought they changed the design so that you should only need this fixed once?

2) I will take in about a week they need to replace a part that is on back order.

3) What symptoms did you have related to the failures?

4) The car has always run great no lag or anything, not sure I want them to mess with it.
Your kidding right? Why do you think BMW extended the warranty on HPFP failures to 10yr/120k Miles ( currently on 07 ( E9x) and 08's (E9x, E8x,E6x, X6's).... if this was not the case BMW would have recalled it and fixed them all, but even the 09's and 10's are still having issues with it.
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B130309g.htm

3 of them have been the gen 4 ones , so yes the still fail
just go look at any E9x or E8X forum....it is more than the 1-2% failure rate they claim
Had 2 go in under 45days....

1st, Long cranks was my first symptom.
2nd, under moderate to hard acceleration ( think getting on a highway) I would have a sound like a Grenade going off from the engine bay, and then the car would loose like 2/3 the power.
3rd , 2/3's of the power gone, like running a 4pot at the flip of a switch.
4th, The motor sounds very Rough
5th, the Idol drops to the point where the car almost stalls at a stop , infact almost have to give it gas to keep going.
6th, you can get some of the power back by down shifting a gear or 2.
7th, only 1 time did I get the Engine malfunction reduced power warning.
8th, If I turned off the car for a couple minutes it would be ok , but the first time I would get semi moderate on the gas , BAM! reduced power....

The lag issue only affects march 08 and before Build cars... yeah right!
Make sure they use the TSB for Lag :
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B120609g.htm
get version 2.33+ and make sure they check the waste gate articulators....
Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Senior Members

Well the car has not had any problems since that one bad start, I guess I am lucky.

I use Shell Gas which is supposed to be better maybe it has helped?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:37 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by V70Cat' post='925501' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:10 AM
Well the car has not had any problems since that one bad start, I guess I am lucky.

I use Shell Gas which is supposed to be better maybe it has helped?

You can see from my sig what I currently have.

I have 23,xxx miles on it now.

I haven't had any issues, BUT, as you live up North here, I would HIGHLY recommend, even now, running your gas down to where the light comes on, and then pouring in a bottle of HEET water remover (the red bottle), and filling up with premium.

Over the winter, I had what I can only call "stumbling". Started right up, but on constant throttle, would get a pulsing sensation. Put in the dry gas and all was well with my world. I don't know what they put in the gas in the winter up here, or if it is that the engine is THAT sensitive to small amounts of condensation in the gas, but the dry gas cured many ills. I started pouring a bottle in about every third fill up.

Give it a go.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Members

I definitely know how you feel when you had a fault code come on then later to be told by dealer if the car has cleared the they cannot do anything about it. When I had service engine soon light saying increased emissions, the code cleared by itself after about 2 days. When I asked the dealer if they can see what went wrong, surprisingly they told that it stores the code if it is emissions related. Was it the service engine soon light that was on?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i M package black on black with black trim fully loaded K&N air filter matte black grills M5 spoiler dinan stage 2

the reason the malfunction light comes on is because you probably did an engine enhancement
its not a big deal, nothing is actually wrong with the car, its just not understanding why there is more power than programed
i used to have a split second turbo tuner and the light came on once
now i have the dinan stage 2 and the light also came on once
but its not a big deal, all you gotta do is turn your car off and on and it goes away
dont worry nothing i actually wrong with the car

Quick Reply: Rough Start 2008 535