E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rough Running 2006 525i

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

Hi guys, when will it ever stop Every week something else seems to go wrong with my so called "ultimate driving machine"

I'll try to explain the problem as best I can

.....here goes....

I start the car, I almost always let the automatic choke cut out before I move off, sometimes if I drive away before the auto choke switches off, when it eventually does swith off, the car will run very rough when at idel in drive or neutral, so rough at times the engine dies. I turn the car off, let it sit a while and then it goes fine after. No error messages or lights on dashboard.

At a guess it seems to be an air mass meter or fuel pump issue. The problem does not happen every time the auto choke switches off...it's very intermitant, so hard to take to a garage to show a tech the problem.

Have any of you guys or gals any suggestions as to what it could be?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi | Titanium Silver | Black Dakota Leather | #123 Star Spoke Alloys | Sport Pkg | Steptronic | Nav | Cold Weather Pkg | Sunshades | Comfort Seats | Fold-down Rear Seat

Originally Posted by thomas finlass
Hi guys, when will it ever stop Every week something else seems to go wrong with my so called "ultimate driving machine"

I'll try to explain the problem as best I can

.....here goes....

I start the car, I almost always let the automatic choke cut out before I move off, sometimes if I drive away before the auto choke switches off, when it eventually does swith off, the car will run very rough when at idel in drive or neutral, so rough at times the engine dies. I turn the car off, let it sit a while and then it goes fine after. No error messages or lights on dashboard.

At a guess it seems to be an air mass meter or fuel pump issue. The problem does not happen every time the auto choke switches off...it's very intermitant, so hard to take to a garage to show a tech the problem.

Have any of you guys or gals any suggestions as to what it could be?
Hi, My 2006 530xi just started doing the same thing earlier this week. Mechanic (not my dealer) says I need a new Mass Air Flow Sensor. Apparently when the original goes bad the computer starts getting mixed up on the right air/fuel combo. About $500 parts and labor, will get the car back later today.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Have you had your car checked for any errors? Mine did that and it turned out to be a bad ignition coil.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Contributors

It shows up no errors, before, during or after it starts running rough, my money is on the air mass meter, I had a friend of mine at the local Toyota dealership run it on their diagnostics and it showed up two error codes but no explanation as to what they were, only said the codes were "dealer specific" anyway the car is off to the BMW dealer next week...so should know more then, thanks for the replies guys.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60 530i, upgrades: Magnaflow exhaust, Mtec angel eyes and low beam head lights, Just purchased 172 style wheels, looking around for the best tires on Tire Rack now. R1 concepts rotors drilled/slotted. Saving for the M-style kit from Trinity Auto.
It shows up no errors, before, during or after it starts running rough, my money is on the air mass meter, I had a friend of mine at the local Toyota dealership run it on their diagnostics and it showed up two error codes but no explanation as to what they were, only said the codes were "dealer specific" anyway the car is off to the BMW dealer next week...so should know more then, thanks for the replies guys.
Good Luck Tom, Let us us know what you find out!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Contributors

Hi guys, took the car to a BMW main dealer for them to run on their diagnostics machine...guess what, no error codes, stored or otherwise?????????? At least they fixed the battery connector that was recalled.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60 530i, upgrades: Magnaflow exhaust, Mtec angel eyes and low beam head lights, Just purchased 172 style wheels, looking around for the best tires on Tire Rack now. R1 concepts rotors drilled/slotted. Saving for the M-style kit from Trinity Auto.

Hi guys, took the car to a BMW main dealer for them to run on their diagnostics machine...guess what, no error codes, stored or otherwise?????????? At least they fixed the battery connector that was recalled.
Could it be a bad ignition coil or spark plugs?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Contributors

I haven't got a clue ????? nothing showed up on the main dealer diagnostics machine, on the plus side, they gave it a software upgrade...free......and the rough running hasn't happened since...maybe coincidence though.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I haven't got a clue ????? nothing showed up on the main dealer diagnostics machine, on the plus side, they gave it a software upgrade...free......and the rough running hasn't happened since...maybe coincidence though.
Because your friend at the Toyo house erased the codes. They updated your software free to lock you down to their server/equipment lol. this resets all adaptions so it's probably not coming back, If it does start with air/fuel/spark
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Contributors

Hi guys.....this problem is back again, after months of perfect running, it's acting up again. It seems to be the same issue, every now and then, maybe a few minutes after starting the car and driving away, it starts to run really roughly and sometimes so bad, when you stop, the engine dies. I'll turn the car off, leave it half an hour, start it again and it runs fine.....what the hell is wrong?

Quick Reply: Rough Running 2006 525i