E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rough Downshift Problem with the Sport Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='595702' date='Jun 4 2008, 05:47 PM
My SA just called. I'm getting a new transmission, which is coming in from Germany! Interesting development. BMW doesn't think it's a software issue.

BMW's RTE (regional technical engineer) was in visiting and drove the car. Based on his observations and discussions with BMW in Chicago, BMW is springing for a new tranny.

My SA advised that if you are having the same or similar issue, and the dealer can't fix it, ask them to get the RTE involved.

More to follow in a week or two (hopefully).

Lou
Holy cowabunga! Nice work. I doubt they'll do that for my ride even though it's still under warranty. I'll go the RTE route and see what happens.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

That's great news that they are owning up to the problem and taking care of you Lou!!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Contributors

Since the day I took delivery of my vehicle, I have noticed a rough downshift pattern any time the car is is Sport mode and I am not manually downshifting. In particular, the 3rd to 2nd shift is very jerky, causing my head to thrust forward during deceleration. I also have a hard time bringing the car to a smooth stop, but that is an issue that I have attested to the braking power. Since my issue doesn't sound exactly like the OP's, I wanted to get general opinions on my SAT. Does/Has anyone else experienced similar behavior? Is this normal for these vehicles, or do you all feel as though it should be looked at by the dealer? It is something I can live with (or put a band-aid on it by manually shifting), but I would certainly like a smoother ride if possible.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='595070' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:03 PM
My '08 550, which is a July 2007 build and has a Sport Automatic transmission, has developed a "rough downshift" problem. When I near a stop, the car will roughly jerk immediately prior to stopping (apparently shifting roughly into first gear). The service techs drove the car and found the same issue. According to my SA, BMW authorized a software upgrade, although my car predated the revision that had been authorized in a service bulletin for the upgrade. That had no effect, and the problem remains.

One of BMW's area reps was at the dealer today, drove the car, and verified the issue. BMW has thrown up its hands at this point, stating only that there may be an issue that they are working on. My dealer is suggesting that a new transmission may be in order. My car has been in the shop for a week now, and although I have a loaner, not having a solution or an end in sight is getting wearing.

Has anyone experienced the same issue, or have any suggestions I might pass along to my SA?

Thanks,

Lou
Actually my car is at dealership at this very moment for the same problem. SA said that it is a know issue in the 2008 550i w/SAT. They are trying to reprogram software, kept car overnight. Will call them tomorrow to see result. May mention tranny replacement option.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='595995' date='Jun 5 2008, 03:00 AM
Actually my car is at dealership at this very moment for the same problem. SA said that it is a know issue in the 2008 550i w/SAT. They are trying to reprogram software, kept car overnight. Will call them tomorrow to see result. May mention tranny replacement option.
None of those remedies worked on my car. See if you can get the RTE involved, and mention my case (email me for details) as precedent for the transmission replacement.

My guess at this point is that BMW has determined that there is a defect in some of the transmissions. Otherwise, why would they spring for an expensive replacement vs. waiting for a software fix?

Lou
Old 06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='596101' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:04 AM
None of those remedies worked on my car. See if you can get the RTE involved, and mention my case (email me for details) as precedent for the transmission replacement.

My guess at this point is that BMW has determined that there is a defect in some of the transmissions. Otherwise, why would they spring for an expensive replacement vs. waiting for a software fix?

Lou
Lou,

I think you're right about them discovering some issue, because they are replacing my transmission as well (albeit through an extended warranty company). Still, both the RTE and BMWNA stated it should be replaced due to this unresolved 2-1 downshift issue.

JJB
Old 06-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Contributors

Good deal JBB. My car is going in Monday for 2 days of transmission work and reprogramming. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

Lou
Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributors

I am pleased to report that my new transmission is in, and things are back to normal! Problem solved.

Lou
Old 07-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Great news Lou...keep us posted on how things work over time...

I've actually seen this issue on my car only not very often.

It seems to happen to me a few times only it generally occurs in the exact same place as I leave my office. It's usually when it's warm out and I've just pulled out of the office driveway and onto a fairly steep downhill side road. At the bottom of this side road, there's a stop sign. Usually at this stop sign, I feel the rough downshift but it's almost like the throttle blip before the downshift is happening too late (like after the car has already engaged 1st gear.)

I manually shift just about all the time so what happens is I downshift into first as I come to the stop sign but the car blips the throttle after the shift which causes the car to sort of lurch forward. As long as I'm on the brake (I usually am at this point) there's really no danger, just a bit of roughness...
Old 07-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='616613' date='Jul 4 2008, 08:06 PM
I am pleased to report that my new transmission is in, and things are back to normal! Problem solved.

Lou

my 550i was in the shop not too long ago for the same problem, they kept it over night and reprogrammed the software. It is a little better, but the problem is still there. I am gonna take your route and see if they can replace tranny. I am going to ask to drive a 550 on the lot to compare. This "jerking" in the tranny is unacceptable for a $70+ car. My 2003 GMC Yukon shift smoother when coming to a stop.

thanks for the into

Quick Reply: Rough Downshift Problem with the Sport Automatic