E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rough Downshift Problem with the Sport Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

My '08 550, which is a July 2007 build and has a Sport Automatic transmission, has developed a "rough downshift" problem. When I near a stop, the car will roughly jerk immediately prior to stopping (apparently shifting roughly into first gear). The service techs drove the car and found the same issue. According to my SA, BMW authorized a software upgrade, although my car predated the revision that had been authorized in a service bulletin for the upgrade. That had no effect, and the problem remains.

One of BMW's area reps was at the dealer today, drove the car, and verified the issue. BMW has thrown up its hands at this point, stating only that there may be an issue that they are working on. My dealer is suggesting that a new transmission may be in order. My car has been in the shop for a week now, and although I have a loaner, not having a solution or an end in sight is getting wearing.

Has anyone experienced the same issue, or have any suggestions I might pass along to my SA?

Thanks,

Lou
Old 06-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Lou there is an ongoing thread regarding this issue that a few members have chimed in with about the very same problem. I'll try to find it but i'm sure someone will beat me to it.

edit: found it.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry550174

I just read through your post again and realized this is not what you are talking about, sorry buddy.

Sounds like the old transmission slam issue. I hadn't heard of it in the LCI models though.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='595074' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:07 PM
Sounds like the old transmission slam issue. I hadn't heard of it in the LCI models though.
Thanks for the search tip. It's not a "got hit in the rear end" transmission issue. Rather, it's what was described as a "2-1" issue. See http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...sion+slam\

There may some correlation to the engine revs and thrust with the A/C on. I don't recall having the issue until it got hot out and I started using the A/C with some regularity.

Interesting. I'll pass some of this along to my SA.

Lou
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

HMMMM , you may need to try the old "hold the accelerator down for 25 sec trick".............honestly, I'm not kidding I had a rough down shift on my 07 that went away with this rather bizarre "realignment" .........actually so did the car !!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Contributors

UPDATE:

I have the car back. BMW is "working on a fix" to this known issue (lucky me), but no ETA for the software fix.

Lou
Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='595099' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:34 PM
HMMMM , you may need to try the old "hold the accelerator down for 25 sec trick".............honestly, I'm not kidding I had a rough down shift on my 07 that went away with this rather bizarre "realignment" .........actually so did the car !!!!!!!!
+1 Sounds like the typical case for the transmission reset! Try it and see!!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i
Angry

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='595098' date='Jun 3 2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the search tip. It's not a "got hit in the rear end" transmission issue. Rather, it's what was described as a "2-1" issue. See http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...sion+slam\

There may some correlation to the engine revs and thrust with the A/C on. I don't recall having the issue until it got hot out and I started using the A/C with some regularity.

Interesting. I'll pass some of this along to my SA.

Lou
I have this exact issue. Drives me friggin crazy. I've been to the dealer three times for it. First time I got a software upgrade - no change. Second time they found a leak in some tranny pan seal - they replaced the seal - no change (though the SA thought that may be causing the 2 to 1 bump). Third time they just said; "Well, if it's not causing an error message on the computer, there's not much we can do".

Anyway, I will continue to bug them about it until I get some resolution. One thing I have noticed is this: when I slowing to a stop, and the sport tranny has auto shifted into 2nd, the MPG meter goes from idle 50+ or something, and slowly creeps to 12, then pops back to 50+ when it shifts into 1st. I'm sure this is just an artifact of the real problem, but I thought I'd throw it out there since you can gauge exactly when to feather your braking to reduce the "2-1" bump.

Driving in traffic (the stop and go kind, not the slow consistant kind) is painful, and almost nauseating .

-JJB
Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='595570' date='Jun 4 2008, 02:14 PM
+1 Sounds like the typical case for the transmission reset! Try it and see!!
The dealer tried that. It apparently worked for a mile or two, then reverted. I'll give it a shot as well.

Lou
Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My SA just called. I'm getting a new transmission, which is coming in from Germany! Interesting development. BMW doesn't think it's a software issue.

BMW's RTE (regional technical engineer) was in visiting and drove the car. Based on his observations and discussions with BMW in Chicago, BMW is springing for a new tranny.

My SA advised that if you are having the same or similar issue, and the dealer can't fix it, ask them to get the RTE involved.

More to follow in a week or two (hopefully).

Lou
Old 06-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Great result !!! Congratulations !!

Quick Reply: Rough Downshift Problem with the Sport Automatic