E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Roaring Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

First, thanks guys. I'm going to try my luck to get a new set of tires. I have an appointment scheduled for March 26th.

My service adviser already attempted to make it clear that the tires are not covered under warranty. I explained that I have some friends that have had luck getting the noisy Dunlop?s (RF) replaced. Then he stated that it's on a case by case basis.

So if anyone has any more information that could help me out then pass it on down.

Central Cali
Old 03-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Auto Sport Silver Gray Metallic - Black Leather - Poplar Premium Sound - Shades - Sat Prep 3M Clear Bra

I approached the issue by complaining about the rattles inside the car that were being caused by the tires. Rattles in the dash @ 50mph (when the tires are the worst) then took the tech on a drive (have him drive) and have him maintain the speed of 50mph.

After 2 minutes of driving the car at that speed with the noise, the tramlining it was a done deal. I am waiting on the outcome but the tech said he expected to get me brand new tires.

He said the rattles were most likely caused by the tire wear (im sure he is right) and that by replacing the tires they could resolve the rattle. Since rattles are always covered by warranty and very difficult to fix I am sure this seemed like the easier route to the tech.

BTW - 13,159 miles
Old 03-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Members

wow - that sucks. i would have imagined that they would have extensively tested the car with the tires they ship them with before they went with that choice.

is there any opinion as to what the best tires for the e60 are? im going to have my dealer deliver the car without the dunlops... heard to many bad things.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have 10k miles on my 545i. I heard about another member experiencing the noise at 9k. So, I turned my radio down and closed the sunroof cover. The wine, in my case is just a constant road noise - like running big off-road tires with large tread.

I took mine in to the dealer for a few other things, mainly an engine vibration I see at 1250/1400/2250 rpm.

The tires where not a big deal that took no major discussion. Either they will replace them at n/c with another Dunlop tire as Dunlop is replacing any problems. Or, they will credit me for the wear against whatever tire I want. At 50% wear he said Michelin Pilots (I am assuming PS-2) would be about $500.

I need to find out what the other Dunlops are to see if it is worth the cost.

What do you folks think I should do?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributors

I went trough a long process:
1-At 7000 miles, my left front Dunlop started to come apart, Dealer said "go to dunlop" so at a local good year store they looked at it and replaced on the spot with a new dunlop

2-At 8000 miles, the noise from my right front was annoying, I mentioned to my dealer and he totally ignored it.

3-11000 miles and the noise was unbearable, mentioned to my dealer and he did not even blink, ignored, not their problem, go to Dunlop

I called BMW NA Customer Service, thay told me to take it to dealer, dealer again chose to ignore the problem, called BMW again, they said "call dunlop"

4-Around 12k miles, I went to the goodyear store that had replaced my left front and complained aboub the noise, guy laughed and said no warranty covers noise.

A week later, when I was desperate with my truck like BMW, I went back to the same goodyear store and spoke to the manager, he placed car on a lift and said that the tires were worn on the inside edge due to bad alignment

5-I called Dunlop directly and explained, they called the goodyear store and then told me to have the car aligned and bring it to the store, I brought it and had them align it. Dunlop said that if I had more than 50% tread left they would do a customer satisfaction adjustment, store measured tread and reported it.

6-Dunlop told me they approved a 50% credit, then the goodyear store manager said Dunlops were backordered and not available anywhere.

I did not want Dunlops anyway, since there is no other option in run flats, I chose Good Year Eagle F1 GS-D3 and had them mounted today, after the credit, I paid $750 for all 4 tires including road hazard insurance and taxes.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Auto Sport Silver Gray Metallic - Black Leather - Poplar Premium Sound - Shades - Sat Prep 3M Clear Bra

Just got final word that my new tires are on the way. Hope this fixes the dash rattle... but if not then back it goes again.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Dealer says I have used 60% of my tires. 10k miles, 98% highway, one person and no load, not burning up the tires (2% of the time, hard cornering and a little chirp between 1st & 2nd), I keep the tires at proper inflation - does this mileage make sense?

(Dunlop - 545i)
Old 03-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i Executive Sedan

I changed from the Dunlop runflats to Pirelli P Zero Rosso (non runflats).
Its a 'new' driving experience -> quiet, smooth and comfortable with much better driving dynamics. Believe me it was worth every cent. No runflats for me anymore!