E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

roadside assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I just recieved a mailer from bmw NA, stating that roadside assistance will be extended based on the length of time from my cars oringal in service date. I will recieve either 4 or 6 years coverage depending on my warrenty plan with no mileage restrictions. Now my question is what was the assistance coverage before JAn 1 2006, was it the first year free? Does or is this the same as the bmw assist? should this be activated by the sos button or do you have to call? It looks like the dealer will have to activate my tcu unit again to reap the benifits of this extension or am i looking at this incorrectly?
Old 02-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Roadside assistance in the US is 4 years. BMW assist is different, although BMW assist includes "enhanced" roadside assistance, whatever that means.

I've never extended BMW assist beyond the free initial 12 month period, and have used roadside assistance by calling their number.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

Originally Posted by stream' post='245098' date='Feb 23 2006, 08:38 PM
Roadside assistance in the US is 4 years. BMW assist is different, although BMW assist includes "enhanced" roadside assistance, whatever that means.

I've never extended BMW assist beyond the free initial 12 month period, and have used roadside assistance by calling their number.
okay thanks stream i kinda get the ghist of it now but if it has always been four years the why would they say in the letter as of Jan 1 2006 we are pleased to announce? www.bmwusa.com/roadside
Old 02-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

As a AAA member, I have never understood the value of this. I never took advantage of the Acura roadside service (good as long as you owned the car) and I have not taken advantage of BMW Assist - never activated it. AAA is much better IMO.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by buddy' post='245106' date='Feb 23 2006, 05:51 PM
okay thanks stream i kinda get the ghist of it now but if it has always been four years the why would they say in the letter as of Jan 1 2006 we are pleased to announce? www.bmwusa.com/roadside
Got me! Could be that with the 545i, it's always been 4 years? I noticed you have a 530i--perhaps they've upgraded the plan for that car? What did the original paperwork that came with your car say?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' post='245108' date='Feb 23 2006, 05:53 PM
As a AAA member, I have never understood the value of this. I never took advantage of the Acura roadside service (good as long as you owned the car) and I have not taken advantage of BMW Assist - never activated it. AAA is much better IMO.
I just purchased a 530i over the weekend -- the sales guy told me in SoCal they use AAA to provide service.

I've had AAA for about 15 years, even though my previous MB and BMW came with roadside assistance. I'm seriously thinking about cancelling AAA. Other than some discounts at theme parks, etc, I'm not sure what extra value they provide.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='245114' date='Feb 23 2006, 09:17 PM
Got me! Could be that with the 545i, it's always been 4 years? I noticed you have a 530i--perhaps they've upgraded the plan for that car? What did the original paperwork that came with your car say?
Not sure but i will check it to see what was the original paperwork, thanks again
Old 02-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by buddy' post='245106' date='Feb 23 2006, 08:51 PM
That got me too. I was always under the impression that the Roadside Assistance was for the warranty period. Was surprised to get the mailer. For a moment I thought that the mailer referred to BMW Assist. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as evidenced by the recent posts regarding BMW Assist) not!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' post='245108' date='Feb 23 2006, 08:53 PM
It's odd that so many of us don't exacty know what we are get, how the various "assist" programs work, and what's covered and what's not. I can't even recall if BMW provides roadside assistance, such as towing, free for the first year. I know I knew at one time, but now I have forgotten. Maybe there are too many alternatives and changes to keep up with unless one wants to be tethered to BMW for more time than I am willing.

We kept our AARP motoring plan. I know exactly what I pay and what I get. I'll just let everything BMW provides free go away when it expires.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='245394' date='Feb 24 2006, 10:42 AM
That got me too. I was always under the impression that the Roadside Assistance was for the warranty period. Was surprised to get the mailer. For a moment I thought that the mailer referred to BMW Assist. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as evidenced by the recent posts regarding BMW Assist) not!!!
If you got the same mailer that I got it states unlimited mileage and that Roadside Assistance is going to be taken over by AAA.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: roadside assistance