E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RIMS AND FTM Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

OK.. i have used the SEARCH function so all you forum people, please do not martar me.

I read up on the topic but still have not found the answer.

Scenario:

I have 06 OEM 17s" with the FTM (not TPMS). I know this because the stem is rubber and not metal like the TPMS. I do not want to switch to aftermarket 19s or 20s.

I read all the posts with the TPMS malfunctioning on aftermarket rims because there is no spot for them and new holes will have to be drilled into the rim for the TPMS to function. Or one can get some steel straps to secure it down. If one does not use those functions, the warning light will be on indefinitely and the TPMS will not function.

I got that much figured out. BUT.... I have the FTM and wonder do I need to go through that same process. Or do the FTM sit on the rim differently and they will fit on any aftermarket Rim without any modding needed.

THANKS!!! please help!

-James
Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i, Sports, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Steptronic, HUD, NAV.

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='21501' date='Aug 5 2004, 08:47 PM
What is FTM?

FTM stands for the Flat Tire Monitor. As air leaks, tire pressure decreases, and the tire rotates faster. ABS sensors on the wheels detect a change in wheel rotation speeds, which signifies a change in the roll radius, or pressure level, of the tires. A warning light in the instrument panel notifies the driver of the pressure loss. In case of significant pressure loss, a warning buzzer sounds.

If you have any additions or comments please post them below for other forum members and web site visitors to read.
Our leader posted this years ago. Try to search for FTM!
No, you don!t have to drill any holes. FTM is mathematically calculated circumference of normal tire. When diameter changes, iDrive notifies you on flat tire. You cannot tell which one if you have run-flats. One suggestion - stay away from non-OEM rims!