E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Right outside mirror tilt position

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!

My right outside mirror housing assembly completely tilts at the maximum opening. So basically, i can not see the right mirror at all.

Is there a way to reset it so it stays at the normal tilt position?

Thanks!

Ben
Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I think the purpose is to see the lines in the parking lot... so all the way down would be the standard tilt no?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I think the purpose is to see the lines in the parking lot... so all the way down would be the standard tilt no?

Thanks, but I am not talking about the mirror, both the complete mirror housing assembly. It tilts completely open like if you would have pushed it manually toward the front of the car.

When I press the button to fold the mirror housing, it completely fold up to the door glass. When I press again, it unfolds but does not stop at the normal position. It continues until the maximum it can.

There are reset procedures for sunroof, windows, etc... There must be one also for mirrors.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Sorry bro - I read it different or it wasnt clear... I dont have the same mirrors so I cant offer anything helpful. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 525xdat Exclusive Edition. Platinum Bronze, Tobacco Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Bamboo wood. Comfort Package, Advantage Package, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sunroof, Sport Steering Wheel, Heated Steering wheel, Mirrors with Auto Dimming, Extended Interior Light Package, Extended Storage, Head up, Lane Departure Warning, USB, Bluetooth, Navigation Professional (with hard drive), Voice Control, BMW Individual Audio System ,Adaptive Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Seat heating rear (and front),auxiliary heating, Airbags rear side, Electric Towbar. BMW Individual Tinted Rear Windows.

I have the same issue when it's cold outside (below 0°C). There is a resetting procedure.Sometimes I have try a couple of times before the mirror housing moves to the normal position.

1. Fold the mirror in using the power fold button on the door switch block.

2. Grasp the folding part of the mirror and fold it outward manually (just push it outwards a few cm (1 inch)). The mirror housing will disengage from the mirror base and will now be in the breakaway position.

3. Operate the mirror via the power fold button. The mirror will now fold out past the expected end stop.

4. Operate the mirror via the power fold button again to fold the mirror in. When the mirror is fully folded in, the motor will continue to run until a clicking and/or popping sound is heard. This sound is the mirror housing resetting its position.

5. Fold the mirror back out, using the power fold button to ensure it has folded out to the correct position.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM
Members

Thanks! Unfortunately, it does not work for me. The mirror housing still fold past the normal position. I guess I will need to get it repaired at the dealer.

Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by gjohn
I have the same issue when it's cold outside (below 0°C).
I have had this a few times too, and it corrected itself after I parked in a heated garage for an hour or something. Got me worried too first time around.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Members

I went to the dealer this afternoon to have a look at the problem. Conclusion: the mirror must be replaced. Fortunately it will be under CPO. $900! Ouch!

Ben