E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Riding in the Backseat

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

BMW is known as a "driver's" car. The other week ago, I was unfortunate to ride in the back of my 5er (sport) because I had to feed the toddler. Man, was it a difference.

At first, I felt nauseous (maybe because my wife was driving). After a little bit, I got use to it, but the back seat was rough and tumbling unlike the driver's seat (in the front). Even in a 5 series, it's not a happy place for backseat passenger and definitely does feel like a "sedan." It felt more like sitting in the back seat of a hatch back mid-level sports car.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='362224' date='Nov 30 2006, 07:44 PM
BMW is known as a "driver's" car. The other week ago, I was unfortunate to ride in the back of my 5er (sport) because I had to feed the toddler. Man, was it a difference.

At first, I felt nauseous (maybe because my wife was driving). After a little bit, I got use to it, but the back seat was rough and tumbling unlike the driver's seat (in the front). Even in a 5 series, it's not a happy place for backseat passenger and definitely does feel like a "sedan." It felt more like sitting in the back seat of a hatch back mid-level sports car.
Out of curiosity.
I presume you have also tried the front passenger seat. It's quite shocking the first time you ride in your own BMW as a passenger (even in the front). When you are not the driver is harder to predict what the g-forces of the car. The driver subconsciously tenses the right muscles in anticipation of the upcoming change, the passenger reacts during or after the event. Although much better than the back seat comfort (where it's harder to even see the road) it is still a startling difference in comfort level particularly in cars with taught suspensions like the E60 sport. Run flat tyres only serve to add to the experience ;-)

My partner complains a lot about how uncomfortable the ride is in my E90. I notice it as well but am not thrown around the car as much. As much as I like the driving it, I feel unhappy and sometimes quite embarrassed that my passengers have to suffer that level of discomfort (especially on our famous Irish roads).
Old 11-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

Haven't sat in the backseat but have been a frequent (too frequent recently) passenger in my car and I have to say, I totally agree with Raighne. It's smuch harder to predict the g-force of the car and I'm constantly trying to anticipate the next move only to get thwarted by my husbands driving...

It's definitely a drivers car, absolutely!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

its only the drivers seat for me
Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Anything but the driver's seat makes me nauseated.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Ditto that, I hate being a passenger. If some of the guys want to go out for lunch, I always volunteer to drive.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i dont mind sitting in the rear seats...its not so bad... but after about 20 mins back there... i feel i could jump out of the windows just to get out and at times am not gonna mind if the car is still moving...
alot of my friends own e60s so im used to riding with them and them riding with me... and after a while all kinds of discomfort begins..
Old 11-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

My wife and 6 yr old daughter constantly complain that they get dizzy whenever they ride my car... I didn't really believe them but am now reconsidering their observations.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Members

Well I don't know what all the fuss about the back seat is about. All my friends and family have been in the front and back and all think the car is 'dreamy' comfortable in the back and cozy. In fact, I recently for the first time sat in the back while on the highway and I thought it was better than the front passenger seat. We all are subjective to what we like and don't like so it's probably more of an individual taste. And the only time someone has said they were getting dizzy was when I was pretending to be Lightning McQueen.

"Float like a Cadillac, sting like a Beemer."
Old 12-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='362372' date='Nov 30 2006, 09:06 PM
Well I don't know what all the fuss about the back seat is about. All my friends and family have been in the front and back and all think the car is 'dreamy' comfortable in the back and cozy. In fact, I recently for the first time sat in the back while on the highway and I thought it was better than the front passenger seat. We all are subjective to what we like and don't like so it's probably more of an individual taste. And the only time someone has said they were getting dizzy was when I was pretending to be Lightning McQueen.

"Float like a Cadillac, sting like a Beemer."
Highway is not so bad, try the inner roads that turn left and right. And don't cheat by sitting on a pillow either, ok?

Quick Reply: Riding in the Backseat