E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ridiculous malfunction...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Default Ridiculous malfunction...

I am a new member here but have been on BFC for a decade as an avid BMW enthusiast. I recently purchased a 2009 535xi (hence my reason for joining this board).

As I was driving home today, I had the cruise set at 70. All of a sudden the car started to accelerate. The brakes then started pulsating heavily (enough to throw me forward and back into the seat). The dash flashed of AWD/DSC/Engine malfunctions while the tach was jumping between 1000 RPMs all the way to 7000 RPMs and back again. I started slowly applying the brakes and then it felt as though the rear-end locked up and the car started to oversteer to the right. Fortunately, I was able to regain control of the car and steer it onto the shoulder and partially into the grass median before coming to a full stop. I shut the car off for a few minutes and restarted it. The car still shows a CEL and a "reduced power" notification. However, I was able to safely arrive home which was fortunately just a few miles away.

What could have caused such a horrendous event? I was going to dig out my old OBDII scanner but I didn't know if it would show the correct code or not.

Edit: I should also note that when this occurred there was a loud "rattling" noise emitting from the engine. However, that noise is gone even though the CEL is still illuminated.

Last edited by ss109; 10-14-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Added information.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

This certainly sounds "ridiculous." Usually when the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, it stems from low battery/charging system malfunction in these cars. Also, there is a very important component located under the spare tire (wheel well) called the MPM. If this gets wet/shorted, it will also cause severe electrical system malfunctions. Two places to begin your search...
Old 10-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
This certainly sounds "ridiculous." Usually when the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, it stems from low battery/charging system malfunction in these cars. Also, there is a very important component located under the spare tire (wheel well) called the MPM. If this gets wet/shorted, it will also cause severe electrical system malfunctions. Two places to begin your search...
There is no MPM in this car, MPMs stopped at 06, those functions were integrated into the body gateway module and body module. To your problem, it sounds very serious, the engine won't make crazy noises for no reason. You need to see a dealer ASAP. Your old code reader will not give you bmw specific codes. Also, don't drive it unless the dealer is very close by. This could have been a disaster in heavy traffic
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I have already contacted my dealer but they are closed on Sunday. I expect to hear from them in the morning. I just thought this was a bizarre case that perhaps somebody else had experience a similar situation.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Members

Yowzaa!!!...keep us informed. ttt
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 AM
New Members

Does not sound good....Are you located in the USA?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Damn. This is the most scary and bizarre E60 story I think I've ever heard. Thank god you are safe, and didn't cause a wreck. If that happened to me, there's no way in hell I would drive that car again. Definitely have it towed to the dealer and have it checked out. Good luck and be safe!!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Is it the dreaded HPFP issue on the turbos? I've heard of the reduced power error on those, but never accelerating beforehand.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Glad you're okay. Sounds like you kept a cool head and handled the situation expertly. Im definitely interested in finding out more about what caused this. I requested a print out of all my service history at BMW and i am not impressed with the amount of failed parts/issues.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Originally Posted by balbs
Is it the dreaded HPFP issue on the turbos? I've heard of the reduced power error on those, but never accelerating beforehand.
Good point.

Quick Reply: Ridiculous malfunction...