5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Ride Quality of LCI 18 RFT vs 19 non-RFT (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/ride-quality-lci-18-rft-vs-19-non-rft-38215/)

1994_RX-7_Tour 03-23-2007 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by KAF' post='406096' date='Mar 23 2007, 03:16 PM
It's when the car seems to follow imperfections in the road surface, white lines, depressed areas where truck wheels have been, etc.

The car seems to 'wander' a little.

Ah - thanks!

bmw1986 03-23-2007 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='406121' date='Mar 23 2007, 04:16 PM
Not enough to damage 'em mate.

The sorts of forces you may be talking about would result in rim damage irrespective of tyre type (the tyre would disintegrate) and such magnitude of force is not routine, thankfully.

ABC

You be suprised how many bent rims I see!

KAF 03-23-2007 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='406121' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:16 PM
Not enough to damage 'em mate.

The sorts of forces you may be talking about would result in rim damage irrespective of tyre type (the tyre would disintegrate) and such magnitude of force is not routine, thankfully.

ABC

You are welcome to your opinion.

The quote is from the BMWUSA site - Copied and pasted.
It is not repeated anywhere I can find except in the Run Flat Tyre section.

"Run-Flat Tires

No more roadside tire emergencies. These self-supporting tires with integrated reinforcements allow tires that have experienced a loss of air pressure to maintain their shape and full use. They can be driven for up to 150 miles at reduced speeds.

Due to low profile tires, please note: Wheels, tires, and suspension parts are more susceptible to road hazard and consequential damages. "

If you want to read this as being related to Low profile tyres only, feel free, other might take note of the fact that the warning is not repeated elsewhere.

You and I have very different opinions of RFT's, I respect your opinion, I just think that people should read as much as possible and draw thier own conclusions.

aybeesea 03-23-2007 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by KAF' post='406145' date='Mar 23 2007, 09:28 PM
Due to low profile tires, please note: Wheels, tires, and suspension parts are more susceptible to road hazard and consequential damages. "

If you want to read this as being related to Low profile tyres only, feel free

I saw that today too when looking at the RFT video.

I looked very carefully working out the purpose of it in a section publicising the benefit of RFTs and decided that the paragraph about low-profile tyres is generic and more likely to be a typical US Lawyer paragraph. If you have low-profile/short sidewalls there is an increased chance of damaging the rims and suspension - no matter what tyre technology you use...duhhhhh....

To say that RFTs generally can damage rims more easily than conventional tyres (like-for-like tyre dimensions) without evidence is just an unsubstantiated opinion. And opinions are what drives the quest for knowledge.

For some.

BTW Re RFTs. I'm happy with mine for now. When it comes time to change them I will try non-RFTs to experience the "delights" for myself. I'm in no hurry yet.

ABC

1994_RX-7_Tour 03-23-2007 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by KAF' post='406145' date='Mar 23 2007, 05:28 PM
You are welcome to your opinion.

The quote is from the BMWUSA site - Copied and pasted.
It is not repeated anywhere I can find except in the Run Flat Tyre section.

"Run-Flat Tires

No more roadside tire emergencies. These self-supporting tires with integrated reinforcements allow tires that have experienced a loss of air pressure to maintain their shape and full use. They can be driven for up to 150 miles at reduced speeds.

If you want to read this as being related to Low profile tyres only, feel free, other might take note of the fact that the warning is not repeated elsewhere.

You and I have very different opinions of RFT's, I respect your opinion, I just think that people should read as much as possible and draw thier own conclusions.

I'm certainly no expert on RFTs, but from reading the 2007 (and 2008 online) 5-series brochure, I believe that the warning about risk of damages and road hazards with low-profile tires are provided for the 18" RFTs (option for the 528 or 530 series) and ALSO for the 19" non-RFTs which come with the 550i Sport Package (2008). So while I'm by no means certain - it seems that the warning is irrespective of RFT or non-RFT - and my common sense convinces me that simply the shorter distance from the road to the rim is the primary factor in the risk of damage to the rim. For whatever that is worth....

GarryF 03-24-2007 12:36 AM

I had to replace two left rims (18" RFT) a year ago, front was cracked on the inner rim and back was badly flat spotted. I don't recall going over anything that could have done this but clearly it takes a lot less to do this kind of damage compared to all my previous cars. Maybe it was the 18" rim or maybe it was the RFT transfering more shock.

aybeesea 03-24-2007 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by GarryF' post='406284' date='Mar 24 2007, 08:36 AM
....the RFT transfering more shock.

Boooo!!

ABC

KAF 03-24-2007 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by GarryF' post='406284' date='Mar 24 2007, 08:36 AM
I had to replace two left rims (18" RFT) a year ago, front was cracked on the inner rim and back was badly flat spotted. I don't recall going over anything that could have done this but clearly it takes a lot less to do this kind of damage compared to all my previous cars. Maybe it was the 18" rim or maybe it was the RFT transfering more shock.

I don't think anybody could accuse BMW wheels of being 'over engineered'!

aybeesea 03-24-2007 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by KAF' post='406297' date='Mar 24 2007, 11:11 AM
I don't think anybody could accuse BMW wheels of being 'over engineered'!

Well mine are built like a brick sh1thou5e!

But the poor darlings may be sensitive to a "shock" from the RFTs...

ABC

TC. 03-24-2007 05:39 AM

I have had a 330d SE with 17" RFT's and now have a 535d M Sport with 19" Non RFT's IMHO - no contest.........The 330d SE's set up would send shudders through the car at the meerest hint of a pot hole, the 19"s without RFT's by contrast let you know its there but just soak it up and spit it out. I can give a first hand, direct comparison along the same (poor) stretch of road - without question the 535d with stiffer springs and firmer damping does an excellent job of letting you know what is on the road without actually shattering your teeth through the shock like the RFT equipped 330d SE did.
I can not dispute that the safety factor of having RFT's is a big one however I am prepared to rely upon my driving skill to keep me from danger and a jack, spanner and raincoat if it means I can have a BMW that handles and rides like a BMW should.