E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ride Height in M-Sport Vs SE Sport Suspention

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='387756' date='Feb 6 2007, 01:21 AM
The M-sport suspension and M5 suspension (with electronic damping) are very different animals and cannot be compared.

Also, I don't know if the absence of DD explains why the M-sport suspension is higher. Cars in Europe with sports suspension do not have DD as standard and they also sit low.
Correct, probably he refered more to the set-up of the springs/shocks.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='387995' date='Feb 6 2007, 02:14 PM
Correct, probably he refered more to the set-up of the springs/shocks.
I didn't read it like that... the follow-on comment was "The M sport E60 is essentially an M5 without the V10 and SMG"
Is it really?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='387996' date='Feb 6 2007, 02:26 PM
I didn't read it like that... the follow-on comment was "The M sport E60 is essentially an M5 without the V10 and SMG"
Is it really?
NO!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='387715' date='Feb 5 2007, 02:17 PM

Sportsuspension is NOT DD.

Those are two different things.
I have them both.

DD is an active roll stabilization. With sport suspension you get a lowered car (different springs/shocks).
Sorry, I should have indicated that I'm in the U.S. where all sport suspension cars include dynamic drive.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='387756' date='Feb 5 2007, 04:21 PM
The M-sport suspension and M5 suspension (with electronic damping) are very different animals and cannot be compared.

Also, I don't know if the absence of DD explains why the M-sport suspension is higher. Cars in Europe with sports suspension do not have DD as standard and they also sit low.
Just a guess, but I know that taller springs are inherently stiffer. M sport springs are stiffer than what the OEM BMW parts catalogue calls "sporty" springs - from a standard sports package. So maybe they are a tad taller.

DRP
Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by ASenna04' post='387602' date='Feb 5 2007, 11:52 AM
Guys,

I am considering getting the 530i SE with the Sport Suspention. I understand this is not the same the suspention as in the M-Sport. Furthermore, I understand that the SE with Sport Suspention is actually lower then the M-Sport. Do any of you have any details on this. What is the difference in ride height between the SE and the M-Sport Vs the the standard SE and the SE with Sport Suspention.

Also, is the Sport Suspention more or less 'hard' then the M-Sport.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

ASenna04
Hi,

BMW Germany?s car configurator gives ride height -15 mm compared to standard for both, M-suspension and sport suspension. I am not sure, but I think M-suspension is harder though.

BR

TGII
Old 02-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ASenna04' post='387963' date='Feb 6 2007, 05:23 AM
But is it true that the SE with Sport Suspension is lower then the M-Sport?

ASenna04
If the SE w/sports suspension includes Dynamic Drive, the answer to your question is absolutely YES. By how much, I don't know. The sport suspension with DD rides too low IMHO. I am a very detail oriented person. When you look at my car, a 550 w/ sport and DD, the proportions of the wheels to the body are inferior to those of all other E60s. Its not that the wheels aren't large enough, because the 17s on a standard 530 look great. Its the dramatically reduced ride height, which places the wheel too far within the wheel well...the same way a 'California" low rider looks but to a lesser degree. The front of an M-sport body kit seems designed at a different angle than the front facia of an M5, most likely because the nose of a sport package E60 w/DD is lower to the ground than an M5's. The M5 rides higher than a DD sport car and so does the M sport (although not as high as the M5). This is what I came up with as an explanation: the lower a car rides, the better it corners. So, BMW used really short springs on sport suspensions with Dynamic Drive, a move that is only made possible by the nearly unlimited strength of the hydraulic anti-roll bar. Since the anti-roll bar somewhat replaces the job the springs would normally play in counteracting body roll, DD can use short, weaker springs. It's my guess that as a result of being short, these springs are a bit soft and that is why many owners, myself included, have complained that the sport suspension with DD is not firm enough. BMW was listening as the new U.S. sport package is set to include M sport suspension components in conjunction with dynamic drive.

Hope this helps.

DRP
Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Members

From the last 2 posts (TGII and 550isport), does this mean that the ride height of the SE with Sport Suspension in Europe is higher then in the US where the Sport Suspension always comes with DD?

Can anyone confirm if the M-Sport and SE with Sport Suspension are the same in UK as in Germany (i.e. -15mm) as suggested by TGII.

ASenna04
Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Sport suspension is -15mm.
DD doesn't lower the car.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='388071' date='Feb 6 2007, 10:32 AM
Just a guess, but I know that taller springs are inherently stiffer.
Are you sure about that? Just because the M5's ride height is a little higher does not mean that taller springs are "inherently stiffer." The common aftermarket springs for the e60 are actually shorter (lower ride height) along with being stiffer.

Spring rate is not dependent on the length of the spring as you can have a 6" and 7" spring with the exact same spring rate.

Quick Reply: Ride Height in M-Sport Vs SE Sport Suspention