E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RFT YES or NO advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='557419' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:51 AM
STAY AWAY FROM THE RUN FLAT... very bad ride load road noise... i put none run flats on.. MUCH BETTER!!!!!
+1
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Contributors

I recently swapped my snow tires for summer tires. The handling is so much better, but oh God how I hate those run flats. I can't wait until they wear out and I can toss on a set of PS2s.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Originally Posted by pimm' post='557366' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:07 AM
I have 18" runflats at the moment but the rears need changing soon. I have looked at other threads and i am very tempted to put normal tyres on for less road noise and general better handling/drive.

I phoned the dealers and they do a jack and space saver kit for ?180 which is more money than i wanted to spend, or do i use foam in the event of a punture ?. I have looked on Ebay and there are space savers for E46's all day long but will they fit my E60 ?

With all the above in mind i am just thinking of getting RFT back on the car. Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Definitely get the 18" run flats!!! Absolutely! In fact, I will be happy to sell you mine at a significant discount.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

run flats! :thumbsdown:

I had them on a previous car...noisy and horrible!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

No, only on the Autobahn can I see an advantage for RFT during high speed incidents.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='557453' date='Apr 7 2008, 12:54 PM
I think that the over-riding feeling is to JUNK THE RTF's

I did so and haven't looked back. I've said it before: the car drives like Herr BMW / Mr. Bangle designed it to, now I have "proper" tyres on.

As for the spare - go to your local tyre factor (probably not Kwik-Fit) and have a word with them - last year my local chap got me a new BMW wheel and Continental tyre for ?85. I already had a wheel brace and jack. What was missing was a nice plastic carrying case and wheel chocks - I can live without those. As for the jack - if you are a cheapskate like me, go to your local scrapyard and get a jack from a Vauxhall Omega (I think Vectra/Cavalier ones are the same, but check the Safe Working Load on them). These jacks have plastic tops on them which are a little too long for the BMW slots in the sills, but a couple of minutes with a junior hacksaw on the jack to (not the sills!!!) made it fit like a glove. I have never had to use the jack in anger, but it works a treat on my drive!!

If you go the eBay route to a wheel, the E60 is different to an E46 wheel, which is what most of the space saver's are on there.
To get the wheel into the boot, you have two options - take the boot tray out altogether and lay the wheel on the polystyrene underneath (I padded it out with some protective corrugated cardboard), or just shave the dividing panel locating slots off with a Stanley or Craft knife, and that is just enough for the tyre to fit inside.

Mike
A massive thankyou to you all on the replies

Mike that is spot on advice mate and that is the route i will be taking.

Thanks Heath
Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by gene1' post='557514' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:40 PM
Definitely get the 18" run flats!!! Absolutely! In fact, I will be happy to sell you mine at a significant discount.
You should be able to get a pretty good price...considering that they cost $1410 a set at Tire Rack... That's the 18" Dunlop SP01 RFT, with NO shippping, NO tax. Get 'em while you can...these things are gonna rapidly become a collectors items.

Can you imagine how pissed you would be, if you paid ~ $1500 for a set of these tires... Wait a minute...I think I did...
Old 04-08-2008, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

No.

I had them on my 5 and 3 series. I replaced them both with Michellins and Goodyear and honestly ride is much quiter and comfy. They really suck.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='557453' date='Apr 7 2008, 06:54 PM
I think that the over-riding feeling is to JUNK THE RTF's

I did so and haven't looked back. I've said it before: the car drives like Herr BMW / Mr. Bangle designed it to, now I have "proper" tyres on.

As for the spare - go to your local tyre factor (probably not Kwik-Fit) and have a word with them - last year my local chap got me a new BMW wheel and Continental tyre for ?85. I already had a wheel brace and jack. What was missing was a nice plastic carrying case and wheel chocks - I can live without those. As for the jack - if you are a cheapskate like me, go to your local scrapyard and get a jack from a Vauxhall Omega (I think Vectra/Cavalier ones are the same, but check the Safe Working Load on them). These jacks have plastic tops on them which are a little too long for the BMW slots in the sills, but a couple of minutes with a junior hacksaw on the jack to (not the sills!!!) made it fit like a glove. I have never had to use the jack in anger, but it works a treat on my drive!!

If you go the eBay route to a wheel, the E60 is different to an E46 wheel, which is what most of the space saver's are on there.
To get the wheel into the boot, you have two options - take the boot tray out altogether and lay the wheel on the polystyrene underneath (I padded it out with some protective corrugated cardboard), or just shave the dividing panel locating slots off with a Stanley or Craft knife, and that is just enough for the tyre to fit inside.

Mike
What tyres do you have on now (i.e. what make/model)?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

What tire do you guys recommend if I want to remove my 18" RFT's? If you were to choose from this list, which is one would you pick? Michelin, Continental or TOYO. Thanks

Quick Reply: RFT YES or NO advice please