E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RFT YES or NO advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 18" runflats at the moment but the rears need changing soon. I have looked at other threads and i am very tempted to put normal tyres on for less road noise and general better handling/drive.

I phoned the dealers and they do a jack and space saver kit for ?180 which is more money than i wanted to spend, or do i use foam in the event of a punture ?. I have looked on Ebay and there are space savers for E46's all day long but will they fit my E60 ?

With all the above in mind i am just thinking of getting RFT back on the car. Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I would put blocks of wood on my car before I would put another set of RFT on it. I have ~9K miles on my factory Dunlop SP RFT and I can't say "THEY SUCK" loud enough...
Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Members

Yes, THEY SUCK.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

NO, they suck...

Amazing that BMW build such great cars that people deal with garbage like Run Flats. When I bought my CPO 545i they put new Dunlop Sport SP 01 tires on all around. I almost returned the car. The tramlining on the highway was ridiculous, pulled the car from lane to lane when turning, very unnerving.

Just changed mine to Pirelli P zero Nero
Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport LCI 2008 Space Gray/Dark Blue Dakota

[quote name='pimm' date='Apr 7 2008, 03:07 PM' post='557366']

I can't comment on best way forward regarding saving money on a space saver.......

I can recommend having a spare and jack onboard - my last e-60 had RFT's and in the first week of ownership I went on a road which had just been tarred and gritted. A lot of this crap ended up between the inboard face of the front discs and the protective guards.....
This is not unusual.... but any debris/stones normally gets worn away quickly by the disc and falls out........MINE DIDN'T...! 15 miles later - still there.

Nearest garage was about 30 miles away........ended up resolving the problem by borrowing a knackered old trolley jack to remove nearside wheel enabling me to remove offending bits with screwdriver.....

RFT's - Think their very good indeed > but not on a car which already has quite firm suspension.........COULD NOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE WHEN I DUMPED THEM and bought some 172M's with Continental Sport Contacts (standard Tyre NON RF).....and that's going from an 18" rim to 19".

Now the ride is little jittery when tyres cold but thereafter is fantastic and nearly silent compared to RFT's...... various threads elsewhere on this forum to support this.

Rumble strips, ruts and bumps are now bearable and do not shake my dental fillings out................Dreadful road noise GONE.

There are loads of wheels and tyres out there - good luck and hope you make the right choice.....
Old 04-07-2008, 08:32 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Dump the RFT's.

The negatives still outweigh the positives.

If you use a foam repair you may have problems getting the tyre repaired.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

I would say YES after discussion with a BMW guy this weekend on a BMW Roadshow. But they are hard like nothing.. 5er compares to 3er without RFTs..
Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Contributors

STAY AWAY FROM THE RUN FLAT... very bad ride load road noise... i put none run flats on.. MUCH BETTER!!!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Yes for Long Trips!

No for everything else
Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I think that the over-riding feeling is to JUNK THE RTF's

I did so and haven't looked back. I've said it before: the car drives like Herr BMW / Mr. Bangle designed it to, now I have "proper" tyres on.

As for the spare - go to your local tyre factor (probably not Kwik-Fit) and have a word with them - last year my local chap got me a new BMW wheel and Continental tyre for ?85. I already had a wheel brace and jack. What was missing was a nice plastic carrying case and wheel chocks - I can live without those. As for the jack - if you are a cheapskate like me, go to your local scrapyard and get a jack from a Vauxhall Omega (I think Vectra/Cavalier ones are the same, but check the Safe Working Load on them). These jacks have plastic tops on them which are a little too long for the BMW slots in the sills, but a couple of minutes with a junior hacksaw on the jack to (not the sills!!!) made it fit like a glove. I have never had to use the jack in anger, but it works a treat on my drive!!

If you go the eBay route to a wheel, the E60 is different to an E46 wheel, which is what most of the space saver's are on there.
To get the wheel into the boot, you have two options - take the boot tray out altogether and lay the wheel on the polystyrene underneath (I padded it out with some protective corrugated cardboard), or just shave the dividing panel locating slots off with a Stanley or Craft knife, and that is just enough for the tyre to fit inside.

Mike

Quick Reply: RFT YES or NO advice please