E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RFT System Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

On a short highway trip last weekend, iDrive displayed a warning stating that a failure had occured in the FTM System. I accepted the warning and continued on. An FTM System Failure warning remained in Control Messages.

When at my destination, I shut the car off and let it go into sleep mode. Upon returning to the vehicle, I unsuccesfully attempted to reset the FTM system. I now get a continuous "Initializing" message at the bottom of the FTM screen regardless of how long I drive the car or park it for that matter. Check control message reads "All Systems OK".

I have checked all of the tires, pressures are normal and within 1 psi of each other.

Does the FTM system need to be reset by the dealer or does the warning represent a hardware problem? I spoke to my Service Advisor and did not get any anwers. The car is going into the shop in two weeks for winter tires and rims. Can this wait until then?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='346474' date='Oct 18 2006, 09:56 PM
On a short highway trip last weekend, iDrive displayed a warning stating that a failure had occured in the FTM System. I accepted the warning and continued on. An FTM System Failure warning remained in Control Messages.

When at my destination, I shut the car off and let it go into sleep mode. Upon returning to the vehicle, I unsuccesfully attempted to reset the FTM system. I now get a continuous "Initializing" message at the bottom of the FTM screen regardless of how long I drive the car or park it for that matter. Check control message reads "All Systems OK".

I have checked all of the tires, pressures are normal and within 1 psi of each other.

Does the FTM system need to be reset by the dealer or does the warning represent a hardware problem? I spoke to my Service Advisor and did not get any anwers. The car is going into the shop in two weeks for winter tires and rims. Can this wait until then?
How long did you drive the car during the initialization? Did you start the initialization process while the car was stationary?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='346494' date='Oct 18 2006, 08:22 PM
How long did you drive the car during the initialization? Did you start the initialization process while the car was stationary?

Yes, Initialization was started while car was parked several times. Have since driven the car 30 to 40 km at a time trying to get reset established with no luck.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Have you tried re-initialising the FTM? Leave the car overnight, so it goes to sleep, then first thing after starting the engine re-set the FTM (which will probably be still saying initialising) and then drive for 20-30 km. If that does not work - dealer is calling...
Old 10-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='346564' date='Oct 19 2006, 03:06 AM
Have you tried re-initialising the FTM? Leave the car overnight, so it goes to sleep, then first thing after starting the engine re-set the FTM (which will probably be still saying initialising) and then drive for 20-30 km. If that does not work - dealer is calling...
Have a similar problem that I posted awhile ago that nobody could answer. When I initialising the system as per manual,(exactly),Status Active never comes up on the screen. I did check out the system by leaving 10 psi out of one tire and the FTM symbol came up on the display.
cheers
vern
Old 10-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Contributors

An update on this problem.

Took my car in to the dealer to get snow tires installed. RFT would not initialze for the tech either.

Shop forman confirmed there is a Bulletin out on this problem. Software reset was required and now system reads as "Active".