E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RFC

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI (This term is new to me)
BMW's Run-Flat Combination (RFC) wheel-tire system,
an important step forward in personal safety, convenience and in-vehicle space utilization.

The system consists of self-supporting tires, special wheel rims and a Flat Tire Monitor. The tires have special sidewalls that include specific inserts and highly heat-resistant rubber compounds. These features allow a deflated tire to maintain its essential shape and guidance characteristics for a considerable distance.

While maintaining essentially the handling and safety standards of high-performance tires, the RFC system offers these advantages:

No roadside tire changes. It will be seldom, if ever, necessary to stop and change a damaged tire. Thus when confronted with a flat (a condition revealed to the driver by the Flat Tire Monitor), the driver can continue on for up to 90 miles at speeds up to 50 mph until reaching a safe and/or convenient place to have the tire repaired or replaced.
Tire stays on rim, thanks to specially developed Extended Hump wheel rims.
Stability systems remain functional. All Dynamic Stability Control functions remain fully in effect, even with a deflated tire.
Increased trunk space. A spare wheel and tire take up considerable space. With RFC, no spare is needed, so the trunk can be larger.
Weight savings. The weight of a spare tire is eliminated.
A key element of this system is the Flat Tire Monitor (FTM). Whenever tire pressure drops by 30% or more, the tire's rolling radius changes significantly; this wheel will turn at a different speed from the others. Via the DSC wheel-speed sensors, FTM recognizes any major deviation in wheel speed (and therefore tire pressure). Within a short time, the system triggers a visual and audible warning to the driver.

Anytime the tire pressures are adjusted, the technician or user.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

New? its not new...

But the RFT monitor doesnt tell you if all your tires have lost air... so I still check my tires at least twice a month.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:44 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Jan 2 2005, 02:35 AM
Tire stays on rim, thanks to specially developed Extended Hump wheel rims.
Stability systems remain functional. All Dynamic Stability Control functions remain fully in effect, even with a deflated tire.

Anytime the tire pressures are adjusted, the technician or user.
[snapback]74571[/snapback]
Technician tire checks are one of my pet peeves. I have yet to find a BMW dealer or a tire dealer that will properly regulate tire pressure.

As for "tire stays on rim," the run flats are remarkable. Even in Pensacola on the Escambia Bay Bridge when I split two wheels and ruined the other two, the flat Dunlop run flats did just that - stayed on rim.
Attached Thumbnails RFC-rimbreak3.jpg  
Old 01-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jan 2 2005, 09:44 AM
I have yet to find a BMW dealer or a tire dealer that will properly regulate tire pressure.
[snapback]74666[/snapback]

HA!! Tell me about it! I have the 124 staggered set up and when I picked up my car and checked the tire pressure that night they were all set to 33psi! when i checked the door jam it says 36/41psi for recommended pressure...

ONE weird thing is... in the owners manual it says something different... than 36/41...
Old 01-02-2005, 01:00 PM
JDN
Contributors

Yes, we noticed a while back that some changes were made on the MY05 pressures that are contrary to the manual. Inquiring minds wonder why.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jan 2 2005, 02:00 PM
Yes, we noticed a while back that some changes were made on the MY05 pressures that are contrary to the manual. Inquiring minds wonder why.
[snapback]74744[/snapback]
O really??
Old 01-02-2005, 01:30 PM
JDN
Contributors

Yep. Here's the previous thread: Tire Pressures MY05/MY04