E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Review of new iDrive controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

A new iDrive controller will make its appearance this year in both the E90 3er Series refresh as well as the F01 7er Series and it will have adjacent function buttons, ? la Audi and Mercedes-Benz, but with a design that should make BMW's easier to use. Our friends at BimmerFile sent us this spy photo of BMW's new iDrive controller which represents part of the four generation of BMW's cockpit controller system.

The iDrive controller itself is essentially a data entry instrument that controls curser position, data entry, and function selection. It controls:
  • Satellite navigation,
  • Telephone functions,
  • Entertainment (radio, iPod, satellite and digital radio),
  • Climate control settings
  • Vehicle settings and preferences.
Click here for complete article and images.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Wink

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='565281' date='Apr 21 2008, 01:00 PM
Click here for complete article and images
I like that , but it should be have some angle/inclined /slope so that it is visible and reached easily without leaning/bending.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='565289' date='Apr 21 2008, 02:19 PM
I like that , but it should be have some angle/inclined /slope so that it is visible and reached easily without leaning/bending.
I?m not sure what you are referring to as some of the buttons are on an incline.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Not to sound negative but it seems like BMW is giving up going its own route and is going along with everyone else and just adding their own twist to it.

I thought the idea of iDrive was to eliminate excess buttons....and what about voice recognition?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:12 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

It's an inverted mouse with shortcut buttons for the main menu items.

How about an untethered bluetooth or wifi touchpad? Bundle an iPhone or similar with software to set car options, nav destinations, etc, and that would be a killer app.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by ObD' post='565470' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:12 PM
It's an inverted mouse with shortcut buttons for the main menu items.

How about an untethered bluetooth or wifi touchpad? Bundle an iPhone or similar with software to set car options, nav destinations, etc, and that would be a killer app.
How would this be an improvement? Trying to find a number on my touchpad phone while driving is a near-death experience as it is.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pukka' post='565465' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:06 PM
Not to sound negative but it seems like BMW is giving up going its own route and is going along with everyone else and just adding their own twist to it.

I thought the idea of iDrive was to eliminate excess buttons....and what about voice recognition?
I agree - voice recognition covers everything (almost) for me. (I would like a Microsoft SYNC-like capability to be able to speak specific track names to play on a MP3 player)

How's your BMW Assist situation, Herr Pukka?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pukka' post='565465' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:06 PM

There's a difference between many discreet buttons that provide control over many different functions and some additional buttons that improve or otherwise refine the main user interface. Don't get me wrong, I love iDrive in it's current form but having a "back" button is something that we've needed for some time now. The other buttons look as if they provide a logical shortcut to the main menus of the system. (Yes, I know about the current shortcuts to the main menus but that's not something J6P knows about...)

I don't think adding a few interface related buttons means BMW is giving up on the original iDrive concept, it's just refining and improving on it. They're not copying everyone else, everyone else copied BMW and added some refinement of their own.

(Now if only they'd find a place to stash a numeric keypad like M-B has on the S-class...)
Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Shortcuts (by button) could make navigating the depths of the menus quicker IF the NAV processor is given a shot of steroids! And, it looks like the extra buttons have the potential of being tactilely easy to use.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='565518' date='Apr 21 2008, 09:53 PM
(Now if only they'd find a place to stash a numeric keypad like M-B has on the S-class...)
They did find a place - it pops out of the dash.

Quick Reply: Review of new iDrive controller