E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint Systems Faulty

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 08:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just driving along , when a warning message suddenly showed up on I-Drive warning that my Restrait system was faulty (ie. warning that my seatbelt, airbags, etc weren't working properly)

My wife's immediate reaction was to test the seatbelts, and true enough, there was no tension in them!!

Could this be part of the airbag recall problem that everyone's been talking about ?

Bringing car in to dealer tommorow - luckily it's my day off!
Old 09-02-2004, 08:40 AM
JDN
Contributors

That's not very comforting. We are all relying on these systems or we wouldn't be enjoying these cars as much as we are.

On a side note, I noticed no sunroof on your car. I guess this is something that is standard in the US but now universal. If I had the option I might have dropped the sunroof. This one is noisier, and I get more draft.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Sorry to hear about the seatbelt. I thought this only concerned the 545's.

The sunroof is an option over here in the netherlands. For around 2500 euros you can have it. At first I had it as an option but I chose not to have it because my farther in law was very negative about it (also the windnoise issue). Then I started thinking when I would open it. In my case in very hot temperatures not because it would get very warm in the car. With cold temperatures not because it's to cold. And with an average temperatue I would only use it while traveling through the city because on the freeway you get a lot of windnoise. Closed it gives a night light ambience in the car because the sunroof allows light in the car. But since I chose a very light interior this also wasn't neccesary for me. So in the end I didn't have it and I must say I've only missed it once thinking it would be nice to have it. So 99% of the time I don't miss it and have saved a lot of money!

just my 0.2 cts
Old 09-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

good luck at the dealers, let us know what they say or what fix is.

touch wood i've had no issues with airbags etc etc yet. i guess on a positive note at least the fault reporting part of the software on the E60's seems to work ok !
Old 09-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

My E60 is currently in the shop for this very problem. The tech yesterday couldn't assure me if the airbags would deploy randomly, or not at all (if in an accident). My dealer has ordered the parts, and I'll know in an hr or so if they actually recieved them today. Evidently there was a faulty sensor, in my case anyway. The car is apparently not safe to drive in this condition, and taking it into the shop ASAP is the smart thing to do.

Also, the new part must require a software update, as when I asked them if I could get the car back without updating the software (which I requested when i took it in) I was told that the software "needed" to be updated.

We shall see...
Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: DMS 535d. Titanium Silver on Black leather. M- Sport Package.

Hey guys had the same problem with the airbag and restraint systems warning and Kiran (forum member) gave me the answer

I took this report to the delear and my car was fixed on the same day,

The report on what was done was:

Invoice to Warranty Claims

Description Nett ?'s

---Labour---
Road Test 25.48
Interrogate Fault Memory 25.48
R/R glove box 12.74
R/R both front door Trim Panels 63.70
R/R Body Control Module 50.96
R/R trim panels both door pillars 25.48
Carry Out opps Byte Flight test & signal test 38.22
Replaced airbag control module with gateway control module 25.48
Programming/encoding control units (with CAS) 44.59

Total Labour Charges 312.13

---Parts---
Control Uni 285.96

Total Parts 285.96

Invoice Total 598.09 (Warranty Cover)

Cheers.

Kyriacos

Good luck (remeber your car can be fixed)!!!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 03:36 AM
Contributors

Angry

my 525 has the same problem with the 'seat belt' 256miles after I got my car. Was fixed with a software upgrade and 2 months after it was fixed, the problem came back again.

That remind me that I need to call my dealer for an appoitment. I know it takes like 3 hrs or so to upgrade the software.

hmm..thinking about....maybe my problem is actually some hardware component.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Members

Spoke to the dealer who treated it as if it was nothing serious.

The car's going in after the weekend. He thinks the job's going to take a day, and will involve 're-coding' the airbag software/sensors + he will change the seatbelts as well.

We'll see!

Incidentally, I asked about upgrading from Business Nav to Pro Nav - It's now a 2 hour jobbie - and will still cost a bomb (?1600+VAT)

Kyriacos , I don't understand why u had to pay to get your faulty car fixed?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Has same problem when my car was new. Initially, the problem was corrected by resetting which seemed to work but the Service Tech wanted to be on the safe side so they ordered and replaced the modules (as above) under warantee. I think you should push them for that. I have had the car for 7mo. now and no more probs.

One thing to consider is that at least the car told you it was detecting a problem rather than the alternative where you just wouldn't have known there was anything wrong.

By the way, this is a much better board than the other one I have been looking at. This is my first post.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributors

DXXXi Welcome, and have to agree, it's the best forum.

Quick Reply: Restraint Systems Faulty