E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Reprogramming Donor DME

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:26 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i
Default Reprogramming Donor DME

My question:
Is there any way to get a donor DME and have it cloned? I don't have the software to do this so recommendations of anyone that could assist would be appreciated.

Details of exactly why I'm wondering:
I have a 2004 525 with 88k miles. When I purchased the car used it had the telecommunications error and also slight fluctuation in the RPM's (barely noticeable). I took it into a shop to code out the telecommunications module and look into the RPM fluctuation. It wasn't throwing any codes and everything looked good as far as the sensors and fluid so they reprogrammed the transmission just to be sure - no change. The conclusion was it wasn't anything with the transmission and possibly was the torque converter.

Fast forward 2 years of the car sitting (not my everyday driver) and a dead battery later: I started the car and it ran fine for about 30 seconds then the RPM's started to bounce up and down and the car dies. I was receiving a throttle adaptation error so I tried to do several "adaptations" unsuccessfully. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect it the car will run fine for almost a minute before acting back up. If you shift it into drive the RPM's level out but still runs pretty rough. Last I checked I had errors P1632 and P16A2 which seems like it is the computer. So I towed it back up to the shop I used before and they said the DME is bad.

Sorry for the book but figured the background can help determine exactly what may be wrong with my DME (if not, sorry). I looked at having it fixed and it was right around $1,000. If the car was newer I could justify it but that is a lot to put into this car. I'm wondering what my other options are? Looks like I could get a secondary DME, EWS, Key/Cylinder but that seems like a pain and you would need 2 different keys. Is there any way to get a donor DME and have it cloned? I don't have any of the software to do this so any recommendations of anyone that could assist would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by HereInOhio; 03-21-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: 09 535iX | JB4 | Methanol Kit | BMS Oil Catch Can | JBL MS-8 | BavSound Stage 1 Speakers | Custom Infotainment System (in progress)
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

It is possible to do it, but you would need WinKFP, NCSExpert, INPA, and most likely the ICOM diagnostic tool. You can get the ICOM A2/A3 kit for about $250 from China (check AliExpress and eBay). You would also need a computer, preferably a laptop. Once you have all those components, it's just a matter of coding the ECU using NCSExpert (some modules won't allow reprogramming if they haven't been coded in your car first), then change the VIN and reprogram the module with WinKFP.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

For an 04you only need the first 3 on the list. If you haven't coded a module before it's going to take a few dedicated days. You will do four different things to completely code the car (VIN, software, code, CAS alignment). I'm not sure if the DME needs the timing set like the SRS component modules do.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

Thanks for the replies. I have coded modules before but in Volvo's, Audi's and VW's. I had software to get the "security code" of the modules then used other software (Vagcom) to actually code and adapt the modules. That being said I was far from a pro at it and more scratching my way through and crossing my fingers. As mentioned, it takes quite a bit of googling around to research how to use the programs and how to actually code the modules. I figured I'm probably not going to use the software much in the future to where it would be worth the investment of time and money. Hence why I asked if anyone knows of places that could recode used modules. At first I was told that it couldn't be done but I did find a place that will do it. Waiting to get the shipment out with everything going on with the virus. Thanks again!