E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

replacing run flats

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008 | 09:24 AM
Members

After 30,000 bumpy UK miles, it is time to fit some decent tyres to my e61. My question is, can normal tyres fit on the rims I believe they can just want to check. Secondly, can you buy the spare wheel kit (jack etc) from a reputable source, or is just worth buying a wheel tyre combo from ebay and getting a jack, socket set etc from Halfords.

Any thoughts advice gratefully received, also if any one can recommend any tyres that have the right combination of comfort, wet weather grip and tyre wear I would like to hear about it. My days of driving like a loon are long gone and anyway that?s why you have motorbike to get that out of your system.
Old 12-02-2008 | 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by Thiswayup' post='735968' date='Dec 2 2008, 12:24 PM
After 30,000 bumpy UK miles, it is time to fit some decent tyres to my e61. My question is, can normal tyres fit on the rims I believe they can just want to check. Secondly, can you buy the spare wheel kit (jack etc) from a reputable source, or is just worth buying a wheel tyre combo from ebay and getting a jack, socket set etc from Halfords.

Any thoughts advice gratefully received, also if any one can recommend any tyres that have the right combination of comfort, wet weather grip and tyre wear I would like to hear about it. My days of driving like a loon are long gone and anyway that?s why you have motorbike to get that out of your system.
Normal tires will fit and operate just fine. You can purchase a spare tire/jack from BMW dealers, but some on the Forum have reported some less expensive options. You will get as many opinions on tires as there are members on this site, unfortunately. Good luck!
Old 12-02-2008 | 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='735977' date='Dec 2 2008, 08:44 PM
Normal tires will fit and operate just fine. You can purchase a spare tire/jack from BMW dealers, but some on the Forum have reported some less expensive options. You will get as many opinions on tires as there are members on this site, unfortunately. Good luck!
+1

Say buy to the RF's and find a new smooth car. But buy only quality tires!

My "jack" in pic.

Attached Thumbnails replacing run flats-ygu_16.jpg  
Old 12-02-2008 | 07:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I had noisy rough riding Dunflop runflats that were replaced for free (BMW NA policy) with Bridgestone's that were only slightly better. When they were reasonably worn out, I replaced the Bridgestones with Michelin PS2's. The improvement in ride and the reduction in noise was substantial. I strongly recommend dumping the runflats which I think are merely a bad solution looking for a problem to solve that in reality is not very serious. Anyone who maintains their high quality tires properly is highly unlikely to beneift from them.
Old 12-03-2008 | 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 05' 525dA saloon

Originally Posted by Thiswayup' post='735968' date='Dec 2 2008, 06:24 PM

If you want to change your RFT with normal once do not go to Costco (UK). I ordered "normal" Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres to replace my RFT, but when I went to get them fitted they refused to do so. The manager explained that they would not fit normal tyres on my car, because the car suspension is designed for RFT, and if they change them may be sued by my insurance company. They offer to sell me the tyres, but refused to fit them, unless I can give them ?approval? letter from BMW or my insurance company. BMW refused to send me such letter. I have spent half day on the phone with my insurance company (More than), eventually they sent me a letter, which was useless?.:-(
Old 01-02-2009 | 09:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by plamen_koychev' post='736797' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:50 AM
If you want to change your RFT with normal once do not go to Costco (UK). I ordered "normal" Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres to replace my RFT, but when I went to get them fitted they refused to do so. The manager explained that they would not fit normal tyres on my car, because the car suspension is designed for RFT, and if they change them may be sued by my insurance company. They offer to sell me the tyres, but refused to fit them, unless I can give them ?approval? letter from BMW or my insurance company. BMW refused to send me such letter. I have spent half day on the phone with my insurance company (More than), eventually they sent me a letter, which was useless?.:-(
Silly policy. Must be some sort of liability problem perceived by overly cautious attorneys. In fact, if anyone is looking for a liability claim, one ought to be made against the runflat manufacturers and the auto manufacturers who adopted them for producing/distributing a tire that is noisy, rides badly, and is just plain obnoxious.
Old 01-02-2009 | 11:49 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/tota...t_handling.html

Above link for some tyre reviews.
Old 01-03-2009 | 01:40 AM
Contributors

when i see aftermarket alloys for sale for E60's i have never seen anything that says for "runflats" or for normal tyres only,
i have normal tyres on and never had an issue with the OEM wheels, i thought the only difference was in the strenght of the tyre sidewall? where on our alloys does it say suitable only for run flats?
and how would you know? if you bought the car with normals on?
i dont think the wheel has a "bigger lip" or such like?

i personally think this is pie in the sky.

i do know of someone on here that tracks there E60 on normal tyres (OEM rims) and they have never come off AFAIK.
Old 01-03-2009 | 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

I recently replaced my (second) set of Dunlop runflats with Michelin PS2's. I used the same rims as the runflats with no problem. The tyre dealer (very reputable in the Toronto area) didn't have any concerns. So I think Costco is handing you a line.

I bought the BMW spare tyre kit. Comes with a "donut" and a handy set of tools. You have to remove the well lining to make it fit which is unfortunate.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2009 | 07:37 AM
Contributors

i have had a quick look on the net, and can not find anything that sugests there are special alloys just for runflats?

Quick Reply: replacing run flats